Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hey guys, currently have a Magpul case. I love it, but I fear that it doesn't give me enough protection from drops. I'm prone to dropping my phone. I also want a case that prevents dust from getting in the ports. I tried the otterbox commuter, but it felt cheap and didn't fit well. I'd like the defender, but it seems like it'd be obscenely large. That being said, what are some alternatives?

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I thought about the Spigen Tough/Slim armor, but neither have port covers and there are multitudes of reviews on amazon that say the cases interfere with signal strength.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I am wondering if the people that say the case interferes with signal bought counterfeits from 3rd party vendors?

I have seen no difference whatsoever with regard to signal strength. Or maybe I am just lucky....

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I have a tough armor case and it does not hinder the signal strength. I don't see how the tough armor would and an otterbox wouldn't, they are made out of similar materials, IE plastic, silicone rubber.

erieboyz

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
I have the Trident Kracken AMS case 2014 edition. It's awesome and it's thinner than the defender.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I actually just ordered a spigen tough armor in Silver for my black 5s. Amazon had such a great price that I couldnt say no. For $23 it is worth it.

Anyone know if the silver scratches as bad?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
The Body Glove Shocksuit is a good alternative. It's slimmer than the defender and gives the same protection.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I went crazy and bought 3 Spigen cases. I'm waiting to get another color of the Slim Armor S either green or red. I haven't had any signal problems. The only problems I've had were due to calling in a dead zone. :mad: lol

I thought the back of the Tough Armor is plastic like the Slim Armor. So you probably will see more wear than scratches.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I am wondering if the people that say the case interferes with signal bought counterfeits from 3rd party vendors?

I have seen no difference whatsoever with regard to signal strength. Or maybe I am just lucky....

I don't know if any changes have been made to physics lately, but how could a plastic/rubber/silicone case interfere with a receiver's (your iPhone's) antenna system? Those materials are "transparent" to radio freqs.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I don't know if any changes have been made to physics lately, but how could a plastic/rubber/silicone case interfere with a receiver's (your iPhone's) antenna system? Those materials are "transparent" to radio freqs.

No clue...which is why I said I hadn't had any problems with my case.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Just got the tough armor in silver. Not sure yet. Seems the lower section above the lightening connector is slightly saggy. Might end up back with my commuter. Will give it a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.