Otterbox alternatives?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Rhyno37, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

Hey guys, currently have a Magpul case. I love it, but I fear that it doesn't give me enough protection from drops. I'm prone to dropping my phone. I also want a case that prevents dust from getting in the ports. I tried the otterbox commuter, but it felt cheap and didn't fit well. I'd like the defender, but it seems like it'd be obscenely large. That being said, what are some alternatives?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have the Otterbox Defender. I don't consider it obscenely large. Also, take a look at Lifeproof.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

4. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

5. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about the Spigen Tough/Slim armor, but neither have port covers and there are multitudes of reviews on amazon that say the cases interfere with signal strength.

6. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I am wondering if the people that say the case interferes with signal bought counterfeits from 3rd party vendors?

I have seen no difference whatsoever with regard to signal strength. Or maybe I am just lucky....

7. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I have a tough armor case and it does not hinder the signal strength. I don't see how the tough armor would and an otterbox wouldn't, they are made out of similar materials, IE plastic, silicone rubber.

8. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I'm using the Lifeproof nuud for the iPhone 5S and it is awesome.

9. erieboyz macrumors newbie

I have the Trident Kracken AMS case 2014 edition. It's awesome and it's thinner than the defender.

10. AE14 macrumors 6502a

I actually just ordered a spigen tough armor in Silver for my black 5s. Amazon had such a great price that I couldnt say no. For $23 it is worth it.

Anyone know if the silver scratches as bad?

11. AE14 macrumors 6502a

Also ordering the gun metal extra frame. Thrilled that amazon now sells them for $9.99

12. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

The Body Glove Shocksuit is a good alternative. It's slimmer than the defender and gives the same protection.

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I went crazy and bought 3 Spigen cases. I'm waiting to get another color of the Slim Armor S either green or red. I haven't had any signal problems. The only problems I've had were due to calling in a dead zone. :mad: lol

I thought the back of the Tough Armor is plastic like the Slim Armor. So you probably will see more wear than scratches.

14. magilla macrumors regular

I don't know if any changes have been made to physics lately, but how could a plastic/rubber/silicone case interfere with a receiver's (your iPhone's) antenna system? Those materials are "transparent" to radio freqs.

15. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

No clue...which is why I said I hadn't had any problems with my case.

16. AE14 macrumors 6502a

Just got the tough armor in silver. Not sure yet. Seems the lower section above the lightening connector is slightly saggy. Might end up back with my commuter. Will give it a few days.