Otterbox Alternatives?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Counted Out, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Counted Out macrumors member

So I bought an Otterbox for my iPhone 3G - it's a great case and it really does protect the phone but it does have it's downsides. One of these is the bulkiness, but that's not even too bad considering the amount of protection.

The other problem is that when I am making phone calls, it causes an extreme echo for the other person. By this I mean the person will talk, then they will hear themselves say it again. It can be somewhat fixed by me turning down the volume alot - but then I can't hear them very well.

I'm guessing this is because the vibrations from the ear-piece can not escape and vibrate back down into the microphone. So my question is, do all fully enclosed cases have this problem?

I was looking at the DLO and Agent18 cases to be more specific, but I am also interested in hearing about less bulky (when compared to the Otterbox) cases.

2. Resist macrumors 68030

That isn't an issue with the case. We have the Otterbox Defender cases and don't get any echo with our calls.

3. Counted Out thread starter macrumors member

Have you asked the people on the other line? Personally I notice no echo, but when I used my friends phone to call my phone, the echo is extreme.

I've read about it being a problem with many iPhones, Blackberrys and a few other models with the Otterbox.

4. Counted Out thread starter macrumors member

Also, the problem doesn't occur when the phone is not in the case.

5. aec4 macrumors newbie

I have the otterbox defender, and it does cause an echo. Take the phone out, echo goes away.

6. techdread macrumors newbie

7. Soccercbr13 macrumors newbie

I had an otter box but tthe rubber started to rip on it and the case was generally to bulky so i switched to a poly carbonate case. it has a touch through screen protector and i have dropped it several times and not a scratch on the case or the phone and it lets your phone look great as well! plus its 40 dollars cheaper than the otter box. if you need a hip case as well there is one made that fits it called something xl i have a link for that but its on my other computer it costs 20 bucks so buying both together would still only be 30 bucks. you can also you a palm treo hip case to fit it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-iPhone-Touch-Through-Crystal/dp/B001OF49S4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241068588&sr=8-2

8. Resist macrumors 68030

Yes. We have two iPhones both with Otterbox Defender cases. I don't have this issue listening or talking on either iPhone.

9. Octane19 macrumors member

I love the otterbox defender, but everyone I talk to on the other end hate it :). It does cause an echo, a quick work around from the otterbox.com website is to unplug the bottom port cover during calls. It works well, it can be a hassle but the trade-off for the superior protection is worth it for me.

10. Resist macrumors 68030

This is not a cold hard condition for everyone with this case. Again, we have 2 of them and don't have this issue.

11. robvs macrumors newbie

Otterbox Recall

According to the folks at my local AT&T store, the Otterbox Defender for iPhone has been recalled due to the echo problem. They said that an updated model should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Otterbox's web site says that it will ship in 5-7 days.

12. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

you could try the ivyskin quattro 2.....it seems to offer similar protection

13. newtomac1032 macrumors member

I spoke to Harrison at otterbox this afternoon and he did tell me that the otterbox echo problem was being adressed and should no longer be an issue with the new cases. He also stated that the watermark issue was being addressed and that combined with the new screen on the 3gs it should be a rare occurance as well.

14. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I just called OtterBox today about why they pressed big hole at the speaker filter sponges on the new OtterBox defender case and they told me that people are complaining about the echo issue.

15. nezff macrumors regular

the solution to this problem is taking the foam and thin white paper out of the bottom speaker holes.

I have this case on my 3GS and havent had a echo problem.

16. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

So they fixed the water mark issue on the new cases or not yet ?