OtterBox Armor Series

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lgreenberg, Jun 24, 2012.

1. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

OtterBox has released specs on it's soon to be released Armor Series case (Comes out soon).

-Survives drop onto concrete from 20 feet.
    -Can be submerged into 10 feet of water for 30 minutes.
    -Crush proof up to 2 tons
    -Dust proof.

Details with video demos here - http://www.otterbox.com/armor-series/armor-series,default,pg.html

2. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Looks very promising! Hopefully they get the price right too! Can't wait to get my hands on this case.

3. Sportcat macrumors member

I'd love to see this come in under $50. I'll sell my Griffin Survivor in a heart beat.

4. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt that will happen, the Defender Series is already priced at $49.99. I am hoping Otterbox is competitive with Lifeproof and not pricing it above $79.99.

5. mjordantmac macrumors newbie

Are these really worth it? I'm looking for a case and I don't know which to choose.

6. DashSatan macrumors 6502

I've been following this since the first test. I really hope the pricing is below 79.99$. Can't wait for your review Larry!

7. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

8. RickG macrumors regular

this looks good- i hope the part that looks like metal doesn't mess up the signal stregth of the phone- hopefully they tested this one....whoever gets one first please test the signal ....

9. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Not that much bulkier, also looks like a higher quality case. I liked the life proof but the screen scratches far to easy, hopefully the otter box is better.

10. G-TEC macrumors newbie

from the dimensions provided on their site the case is alot bulkier then the Lifeproof, especially in the thickness.

Otterbox dimensions: 2.89in X 5.14in X 0.8in
    Lifeproof dimensions: 2.6in X 5.1in X 0.42in

11. Skyred macrumors newbie

Yeah this case is going to be great... But when? Does anyone know when this thing will be released? I've heard it was supposed to be released the same day the waterproof video was released (which was June 24), but it hasn't. I really need a waterproof case and I like the life proof but I'm waiting to see what this one is like.

12. rgctx macrumors regular

My local walmart has a temporary otterbox section (its been like that for a month or so) right now they just have photos of the otterbox cases and the prices, they have the Armor one with the picture and its showing $89.99.

13. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the Lifeproof is way thinner. I love the thinness of the Lifeproof, love the case period. I would love to buy the Otterbox Armor to compare them, BUT, with the new iPhone coming out in a few months, I'm sticking with my Lifeproof, it's the last case I will buy until the new iPhone comes out. I bought it well over 6 months ago, and it has done well for me, including rain and ocassional drops.

14. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I'm curious if this is going to be like their other Armor cases in that you can't charge the phone while it is in the case.

While I am not a fan of the Lifeproof case at all due to poor construction and terrible customer service (my personal experience not everyones obviously), at least their design is somewhat solid in that you can recharge the hpone without completely removing the case.

It looks like you can just unlatch the bottom on the Otterbox and the charging port will be exposed but there just isn't enough detail yet. Same with the headphone port.

All the specs and tests are great. As well as the overall design. I'm just still really interested in the ports and overall usability while in the case. The screen protector is of particular concern.

15. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt you will not be able to charge the phone while it is in the case, I can't see Otterbox limiting the case like that with the new design. Also, I am assuming the gasket setup is similar to the life proof. It is not designed to take the case on and off the phone a great deal because it can compromise the waterproof seal.

16. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Rewatching on of the videos it seems you can just open the bottom latch.

"You'll be able to charge in the Armor Series. You just need to open the latch" is a quote from Otterbox on their water video: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-IyWazpH2U&feature=channel&list=UL".

Also from the vids it looks like it uses a different style of gasket that allows for multiple removals. The Lifeproof case says up to fifty times but after 3, mine didn't seem to close all the way anymore. Then again mine was the first generation so that may have been improved since the case has gone retail and improved.

Anyway, this case looks better each time they show it.

17. lazongte macrumors newbie

18. PaulChowHK macrumors regular

You going to be kidding. No case really so expensive. You foreigners are so funy

19. kyellowness macrumors regular

20. Coldsnow, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

Coldsnow macrumors regular

21. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Thank you for pointing me to this product.

I will remember it when I am playing Angry Birds while simultaneously jumping out of an aeroplane.

22. Rajani Isa, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Lets see...

washed
    washed
    dumped in a bucket
    ran over
    thrown in a pool.
    washed again.

That's my brother's luck with phones. In two years. This is the kind of case for him.

And not that I ended up needing it in the end, but the waterproof would of been nice when i worked at the spa dealer.

23. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Wow, talk about beating up a phone :p

Quite interested in this case. Normally I prefer my Vapor Comp for general usage, but it would be nice to have this for when I have to survey on the jobsite. No little bumper is going to protect most of the phone when it lands front first into a rock lol.

24. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Fixed.

Basically he lived off his friend's cast offs (including a nice pink Razr) for those two years after the second one.

25. demi82 macrumors newbie

I really like the otterbox-cases. I got one for my samsung galaxy! it's great =)