Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terandall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Has anyone had the glacier otterbox defender case (gray and white)? I'm wondering if the white gets dirty easily?

UMRebel

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
North MS
I have the Glacier Otterbox Defender with the white shell and grey rubber skin on my white iP5 now while waiting for the Lifeproof to be released. I have not had any issues with the white getting dirty; however, I work in healthcare so my phone isn't really "in the elements" and exposed to a lot of dirt during the day. I have a friend who has the white & black version with the black shell and white rubber skin (found @ AT&T) and the white rubber is a dirt magnet. It looks like he rubbed sunless tanning lotion all over it. It started looking really nasty after only a week of use, so I would advise everyone to stay away from that one.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
The white silicone layers attract dirt like crazy. I had the pink/white commuter and within 2 days it looked disgusting. I couldn't get it clean. Tried a variety of different methods and even e-mailed Otterbox and nothing worked. It stained black just being in the pocket of my jacket and blue from being in my jeans for 5 minutes. I bought a Spigen Neo-Hybrid EX with the white silicone and have been using it for over a week and nothing stains it. They coat it with something to protect it. I wish Otterbox would do the same.

terandall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I work in an office, so it wouldn't be exposed to the elements either. I just wondered about makeup staining it when you talk on it.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I work in an office, so it wouldn't be exposed to the elements either. I just wondered about makeup staining it when you talk on it.

I also work in an office. I did have makeup staining on mine as well. Seriously it looked awful after just two days. But since you are looking at the Defender, the white part is just plastic and that shouldn't stain at all. It's the white silicone that stains.

You might want to read some reviews on the Defender though. It's fit on the iPhone 5 isn't great.

terandall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
What else is there that's comparable to the otterbox defender? I've heard of lifeproof, but they are not out yet.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
The white silicone layers attract dirt like crazy. I had the pink/white commuter and within 2 days it looked disgusting. I couldn't get it clean. Tried a variety of different methods and even e-mailed Otterbox and nothing worked. It stained black just being in the pocket of my jacket and blue from being in my jeans for 5 minutes. I bought a Spigen Neo-Hybrid EX with the white silicone and have been using it for over a week and nothing stains it. They coat it with something to protect it. I wish Otterbox would do the same.

I had the same case and it did the same thing. It started looking really bad. I was going to try a Mr. Clean magic eraser but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Ended up preordering a Twig case and I am using a cheap $20 Incipio that I picked up from Walmart until it comes in.

UMRebel

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
North MS
What else is there that's comparable to the otterbox defender? I've heard of lifeproof, but they are not out yet.

I had a Lifeproof for my iP4 and it was my favorite case EVER. They are pricy, but worth it in my opinion. They are thinner than the Defender, look sleeker and provide better protection - there are no open areas on the Lifeproof like there are on the Defender. It is waterproof also. While I don't plan on taking my phone swimming with me, it's nice to know my phone is protected if I accidently drop it in the sink or toilet. I just hope that they have improved the screen protector because the iP4/4S case did tend to have the "oil slick" effect on the screen, but my current Otterbox also has this.

If you're interested you should sign up on the Lifeproof website to be notified when they are available because those that sign up are being offered to purchase the case before they put them up for sale. The last message I got from them late last week said they are expected to be available in the next seven days so I am anxiously awaiting my email to be able to purchase a case.

houstonwkv

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Great White North
I bought the Otterbox defender (in the glacier colour) for my iphone 5 at launch.
And I have been nothing but disappointed by it.
It has really bad "newton rings"
the sides near the holster clips are starting to fray
and it is much hard to clip the belt clip into its lock position (so it acts as a kick stand)

On top of that the customer service is clearly overwhelmed as email responses are coming in days to weeks rather then hours.

I will be picking up the lifeproof if it comes out at $80 again.

I will say that the white is still perfectly white, but the grey is gross.
I work in construction and this phone has been subject to drywall dust and sawdust from day one.

terandall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
So...which "tough" case is better for the iphone 5 - otterbox defender, lifeproof, griffin survivor, or ballistic series?

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
So...which "tough" case is better for the iphone 5 - otterbox defender, lifeproof, griffin survivor, or ballistic series?

I'd go with the Lifeproof. I didn't find it as attractive as the Defender (in terms of colors, etc.) but for my iPhone 4 it was almost indestructible. My toddler threw it all over the place, and one of my horses even stepped on it and the case and phone were both fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.