Otterbox Commuter 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rymawh, Oct 21, 2011.

1. rymawh macrumors newbie

So I just received my new Commuter, branded for the 4S. And at first it seemed to fit nicely, but after handling it for a while I've noticed that the hard outer shell seems to sit more flush on one side, than the other.

I tried to take a picture, but the only camera I have available (aside from my iPhone) is my girlfriend's point-and-shoot. It refuses to focus, so all you can see is a blur.

Basically on one side, the hard plastic is flush with the silicon. On the other side, the hard plastic shows about 2mm of plastic.

If this was just a cosmetic problem, I wouldn't care. But the damn lip keeps catching on the palm of my hand. Just curious if this may be a defect, orrrrr, just me being overly worried?

2. lazybee macrumors member

Sounds like a defect. I received a commuter 4s case yesterday and it appeared to be in good order without any issues. I have NOT had a chance to test with an iPhone yet, but the two layers seem to fit very snugly together.

3. iSIILENT macrumors regular

ITS NOT A DEFECT!...sorry for caps but its not a defect , it takes a lil time to push the rubber and the plastic good with the phone trust me , it happened to me , keep trying...remember top first then bottom , then get the side of the plastic case to catch the groove of the rubber..hard to explain but its not a defect... your installing it wrong

4. rymawh thread starter macrumors newbie

This doesn't surprise me, and hopefully after playing around with it some more I'll be able to fix it.

5. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I've got a problem with my Defender case, I have yet to get an email back from Otterbox

A: Thin Piece of the Hard Shell
    B: The gap/bump the rubber piece makes

Attached Files:

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I just ordered the 4S version of the commuter. Does it still have the sharp portion around the top that hurts your ear when on a call?

7. iSIILENT macrumors regular

Never tried the iPhone 4 version , but for the new version it feels great does not hurt my ear

8. rymawh thread starter macrumors newbie

No sharp piece around the ear here. Still haven't been able to get the plastic flush all over, it refuses to move that last 2mm where they meet at the top half.

9. gerelee macrumors newbie

i have that same thing on my defender 4s case ... there is also a gap on the right side. i sent them an email 2 days ago with a picture of the gap ... no reply yet so i emailed them again today. maybe they are swamped, i don't know, but most companies at least send out an automated response .. nothing of the sort from them ..
    for now i just took the case off .. may be a waste of $50 :(

10. ProMed12 macrumors member

One of the changes they made was to "wrap" the edges of the hard layer down into the soft layer so there is no more exposed hard edge.

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Excellent. Better idea. I loved the 3GS version as it was curved down into the silicone as well. Don't know what they were thinking with the iPhone 4 version.

12. cfairbank macrumors 6502

I have always had better success when I called customer support. Might have to wait on hold a few minutes but they have always taken care of my issues.

13. iHIM, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

iHIM macrumors newbie

I am pretty sure my Commuter case is defective, take a look!

Edited, so it would not resize the post

14. leitmotif macrumors regular

I received my commuter 4S and my phone yesterday. I have the same issues with it sitting flush on one side and not the other and also my top left corner plastic does not sit right and it looks like the top horizontal edge is diagonal! I've tried working the silicon shell as much as possible and I'm having zero luck. It looks awful.

15. iSIILENT macrumors regular

The side flush is not a defect , keep trying takes a couple of tries. I had the problem. The case is great I love it

16. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I received mine and there are gaps that bug the heck out of me. I dislike it and am sending it back. The silicone part was tucked in on one side and I couldn't get it to fold back out right. Boo.

17. iHIM macrumors newbie

It takes a little trying but I was able to get the silicone and the plastic to meet up at all of the edges except the bottom left edge because mine was cut wrong... I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. leitmotif macrumors regular

I didn't imply that it was. I'm just not happy with it. I've been messing with it since yesterday afternoon and it is not fitting properly. It is quite heavy, too.

19. cassius macrumors newbie

you gotta kinda massage the hard shell and the rubber liner around for a while until hard shell seats itself in the rubber grooves properly.

20. leitmotif macrumors regular

I massaged it long time but no happy ending.

21. MacHunter420 macrumors newbie

Sounds like you guys expect the perfection and engineering of a Ferrari in a a Rubber and Silicone "disposable"....How can you expect something they make for $1.73 in materials to be any better.

22. La-vida227 macrumors member

The one I ordered had sharp edges which made it very uncomfortable to hold. That's unacceptable IMO

23. lazybee macrumors member

I've been using the 4S commuter with my black 4S for the last 3 days now. I've done everything I can to 'massage' it into place. It just will not fit together properly. I find it both uncomfortable and unusable. The edges of the hard shell are very sharp. While I think they did tweak the design to perform slightly better by wrapping the hard case around the edges, it sucks.

24. jrbrangi macrumors newbie

25. rymawh thread starter macrumors newbie

After a week or so of using the Commuter, I've gotten used to the fact that the plastic and silicon just will not sit flush in all spots. I don't know how you people who have gotten it to work did it, but good on ya'.

Thankfully I've alleviated enough of the problem so it doesn't get caught on my hand anymore, and is just cosmetically distracting now.