Otterbox Commuter Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by raymanster, Sep 21, 2009.

1. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Hmm this looks interesting. I might order one in to see if it's something the store might want to carry. We found the original otterbox didn't do very well.

2. batcatman macrumors member

Hmmmm..its the exact copy of the switcheasy rebel, except for the shape of the spine & $10 extra, the bottom of the silicon bridge looks same too...shud we expect similar sagging too??:(
    btw, i just got 2 rebels for 2 iphones, been using them for a week, no sagging yet!

3. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

Kind of, it seems that the Commuter series does offer a bit more protection that the rebel. Although, I never liked the rebel all that much.

4. raymanster thread starter macrumors 6502

raymanster

well i just ordered on on eBay, i'll let you all know how i get on once i receive it in a week or so.

5. ihonda macrumors 68000

6. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Anyone got one to post pics? I need to see some true pictures before I decide.

7. ZGXtreme macrumors regular

ZGXtreme

If someone doesn't beat me to it I will try and post pics once my arrives this week.

8. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I have that case coming Monday. I already have their Defender, but it is a little big for my day to day use.

9. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Actually the commuter appears to be in the opposite orientation of the rebel--the rebel's hard spine wraps at the corners, and this one wraps over the top and bottom, which should eliminate the sagging problem.

I know it's an otterbox trademark, but the huge logo always turns me off about their cases.

10. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

if u mean the huge circle so the apple logo can be seen I agree!

11. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I was never a huge fan of that cut-out either. I do think Otterbox makes a really high quality product compared to a lot of other cases out there. I have gone through about 14 or so cases trying to find the ones I like best.

I loved the Rebels, which had no sagging in the beginning, but if you take it off and put it on often, it will eventually sag. I have had 3 rebels and they all eventually sagged badly except for one which wasn't bad at all.

I am very anxious to try out this new Commuter case for the iPhone.

12. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Well, I got my Otterbox Commuter.

There are 3 parts to this case, a screen protector, a silicone piece that goes over the phone, then a hard plastic piece that goes over that.

First off, the screen protector is not that great, it is very thin and the holes were not lined up very well, I ended up just taking it off and putting one of my Power Support screen protectors on.

The silicone is very rubbery feeling, it reminds me of the Switch Easy Colors silicone a lot. The harder plastic outer shell is just that, its not too thick or too thin it seems protective enough.

The whole case comes together nicely. The dock port is covered with a flap of attached silicone, as well as the headphone port. the volume buttons are covered as well as the sleep button by the silicone also, the only button exposed is the mute button.

The back of the case has the usual Otterbox circular "cut-out" for the Apple logo to show through. There is no protection in that area. Which is slightly disappointing to me. I would have liked to see something, maybe a screen protector type of piece to cover that area.

Personally I have the basic style BSE on the back of my phone to help prevent scratches so I'm not overly concerned about it myself.

The case feels very light, it feels good in the hand and I am pretty confident that if I dropped it from a reasonable distance, my phone would survive.

Overall I am pretty happy with the case. I would like to see a better screen protector, and a screen protector type of piece for the back logo area to prevent scratching.

I will hopefully get time to post up some pics of it later for you guys.

13. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

yes, would love some pics when you able...

shots from the side and the bottem/top.

14. V4705 macrumors 6502

my favorite part :)

the apple logo cutout will not bother me, but i hate the "OTTERBOX" logo on the back,
    incipio's on the feather was too big for me so that's insane.

15. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

looks good...not to much bulk, but i guess enough bulk to survive through a fall..

16. raymanster thread starter macrumors 6502

raymanster

Pics look great, can't wait to get mine, hopefully will arrive sometime this week. I drop my iphone a lot so hopefully this will protect it in future.

17. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Anyone else get this case? I'm considering ordering one.....

18. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

Hey Jmacman78,

I was thinking about buying this case and was wondering if you think there is a side pouch case/holster that this may fit in as well? I really prefer to wear my phone on my belt and was hoping that this would come with a holster like the defender. Surely there is something out there that this will fit in, even if it isn't specifically designed for the iPhone.

19. raymanster thread starter macrumors 6502

raymanster

I finally got mine today! It got held up in customs for ages and the various postal strikes that have been happening here didn't help either.

So far i like it although the rubber/silicon part of the case seems to pick up lint fairly easily. Also I'm not sure about the exposed hole that shows off the Apple logo. So I put a thin piece of black card over the Apple symbol before putting on the rubber part of the case. Sometimes I don't really want people to know I have an iPhone when on the street etc. Muggings are common here.

20. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I received mine on Saturday and really like it. I had the defender series but it was just too bulky for me and would not fit my alarm clock dock. So I ordered and must say that its a whole lot smaller than the defender. The silicone piece does catch some lint but it wipes right off. It does fit my alarm clock also. I highly recommend this case. Id compare it size wise to an incase slider. Not too bulky at all.

21. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

A few pics. Once again I highly recommend this case.

Attached Files:

22. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

I also bought this case and love it. Of course, this is my first iPhone and case so I have nothing to compare it too but, I do not see myself wanting to get another case for some time. Only bothersome thing about it is it collects lint easily when in your pocket but, it does wipe off pretty easily as well.

Not sure if I like the screen protector (also my first one) because it seems to collect finger prints easier then going naked. I also do not want to accidentally scratch the screen so, for now it will stay on.

23. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I have this case, and so far, I really like it. If you're looking for a holster to accomodate this case, I use the Marware CEO sleeve/pouch (the vertical oriented one) and it works great. I actually use this holster for all of my cases, its elastic sides will even stretch to hold the iPhone 3GS with a Juice Pack Air case installed.