OtterBox Commuter looks really good - your opinions?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LRJordan, Sep 21, 2012.

1. LRJordan macrumors member

I've just seen the following video on the OtterBox Commuter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NAXWhsHKuI&feature=youtu.be

It pretty much fits the bill with what I'm looking for, but have you had any experiences with this case? (for another device or even the iPhone 5?) Just don't want it to be too heavy or give too much bulk.

Thanks

2. llamawoot macrumors newbie

I've used it on my 4S and 5 and the one for the five is the best yet. Rubber portion is more plasticky and less stretchy/grabby. Protection seems superb.

I do have to say I've had to use their warranty service. It's unfortunate that I had to use it but they were fantastic to deal with. Provided amazon receipt and had a replacement in no time.

----------

Also, the bulk that's added is primarily on the height if the rim around the screen. That's where you need protection though.

3. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I've been using the commuter on my iPhone 4 for over a year and its great. I order the iPhone 5 version from Otterbox and it will be here tomorrow. I can't wait because I want my phone to have protection. As far as customer support, it's A+. There staff is always friendly and when I needed a replacement part it was always shipped out same day with no charge.

4. LRJordan thread starter macrumors member

I've gone with it and the quality is amazing - would definitely recommend it. OK bit bulky but no where near as bulky as some of the Commuters I've seen on other phones

5. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

I picked up two of them, one for my iPhone 5 and one for my wife's. it's perfect for me because I hardly ever put my home in my pocket. When I'm on the golf course I throw it in the cup holder on the cart, at work it's on my desk, in the car it's in my cup holder. So I like the added protection. I get a bit of grief because of the bulk it adds, but it is plenty of protection and that's what I'm going for.

6. jokerz126 macrumors regular

jokerz126

Commuter + Ghost Armor?

any idea how Ghost Armor screen protector would fit under the Commuter case? will it be too tight?...I had the Commuter on my iphone 4 and put ghost armor front and back on it...it was snug, but worked

7. Fr3sh2De4th macrumors newbie

I would also like to know this. Would a zagg full body protector work with this?

8. Spicedham macrumors regular

Looks like your iPhone has seizures and needs a helmet for protection

9. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

Mine just came in and it's nice. Not a fan of the screen protector but I have never been good at putting them on. Sleep button is a little hard but expected since it's part of the hard rubber frame. Overall, a nice case.

10. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

It is a nice case overall, but there is one big design flaw. There is a whole on the back where you can see the Apple Logo on the phone. The big problem is that, unlike the Defender series which has a plastic piece protecting that area, the Commuter is not protected at all. Anything from lint to keys, if you put your phone in your pocket, could cause you to scratch that area of the phone. I am thinking of returning it because of that flaw. Here is a picture so you can see what it looks like.

I just picked up today a Speck Candyshell Grip to test it out. So far I like it, but I will know in a few days how it will hold up.

Attached Files:

11. jcliden macrumors member

I tend to favor thinner, simple cases but I know for sure Otterbox makes good quality cases. I feel like Otterbox grows on you. When I first saw it, I was like :eek: but the more I see it, the more it appeals to me.

12. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

The same crap can get in around the camera with the defender. I have the defender now but I'm waiting on the Lifeproof & TAKTIK cases to be released.

PS: You also need the try the "Neatdesk" organizer system.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I loved my otterbox commuter for my 4s. Perfect for what I was after. It did break but otterbox replaced it quickly. A+ service

I immediately went sourcing one for my 5. Had to order it from Verizon and wait a few days but it was worth it (25% discount thru verizon).

In the interim I purchased an incipio just to have SOMETHING while my otterbox was in transit.

I got it and put it on and was slightly disappointed :(

First, some like the new material of the inner piece but I kinda don't. I liked the older, softer rubber piece. I also don't care for the really thin plastic part at the bottom. A necessary design and I can't think of a way to make it better but it seems prone to cracking. My "deal breaker" was the difficulty in pressing the home button. I attribute it to the harder inner piece.

I dislike the thickness. It's as thick as the one for my 4s. I know the phone only thinned out by a few nano-meters or whatever but I was kinda hoping the commuter would reflect this in some way.

I LOVE the cut out for the apple logo. Sure it lets dust in but it's worth it :D

I love the covers over the headphone and 8-pin port. Keeps lint and crap out of there. which is more important to me.

Alas, it's sitting at home in the box with the receipt taped to it ready for return. I don't really have a need for two very similar cases and the incipio grew on me as I used it in the first few days. It seems more similar to the older otterbox commuter that I had for my 4s. The inner piece is soft rubber like the old commuter and it's thinner than the commuter. It doesn't have the apple logo cutout so that's boo and it doesn't have anything to cover the headphone/charger ports so I don't like that but it's a GREAT material and thin. It was also about $5 cheaper and readily available.

I would still recommend the commuter to anyone who asked me. I'd probably tell them to take a look at the incipio too... but Otterbox stood by their product for my last phone and that speaks volumes to me.

14. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

One option is to buy a cheap screen protector, cut a piece out and stick it on the back where the hole is.

15. kenrobin macrumors regular

My Commuter arrived today & I love it. It's my first Otterbox case. Not too bulky like the Defender but solid without adding too much weight to the light iP5. I gave up on installing the screen protector. I've always preferred to be able to touch my iPhone's screen anyway. I think this will be the perfect fit.

16. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

The only issue I had with this was the top button being a bit hard to push down. I liked the weight and the feel of the phone as it wasn't too bulky but still added substance. I actually opted out for a Incipio Frequency. May not provide the protect like Otterbox but it'll do for now. Not going to be rough on my phone anyway.

17. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I picked one up it works well with my sgp protector

18. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Are you using the sgp screen protector with the Commuter, or the sgp full body protector with the Commuter?

19. ipadfreak macrumors regular

Tip for the screen protector...

Go in your bathroom, turn the shower on hot, close the door and come back in 5 minutes. Open the door a little bit, let some steam out and close it again. Apply the screen protector now. There will be no dust :D

20. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

Interesting.

21. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

It should work but if the screen protector lifts up, you would need to get a "case friendly" protector. From my previous experience, the "case friendly" protector is better, but sounds like it worked for you once...

22. macgrl macrumors 65816

They do look nice...i may get one when I eventually get the phone lol