Otterbox Commuter made cheaply?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Jmclark, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Jmclark macrumors regular

So I got an Otterbox Commuter for my 4S a little less than a month ago, the glacier one. I bought it on otterbox.com, so I know it's a real one. But in the three weeks or so, it's already got two cracks in it and the bottom left piece broke off, not to mention the white silicone has gotten very dirty. I called customer service and they're sending me another one, but I just feel like it's really cheap and doesn't even provide much protection for my iPhone. What are other Commuter owners' opinions?

2. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

How does it NOT provide good protection? It's a full silicon case wrapped by another hard plastic shell? You failed to mention what you have done (i.e. drops or other abuse) that caused the damage. I find it hard to believe they just appeared seeing that I've dropped my iPhone with a commuter case on hard tile, concrete, etc..numerous times so far and my case and phone are both perfectly in tact. Also, you said Otterbox is sending you another case free of charge so what's the gripe? It's a great case backed by a great company, can't ask for much more.

3. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I have to agree with HKUSP.. I love my commuter. Fit is great and it offers the perfect amount of protection for my lifestyle in a slim-ish package. I've dropped mine plenty of times and haven't had any cracks or chips. Could just be how you dropped it or you could have gotten a defective hard plastic piece.

And the white silicon getting dirty.. Really? You had to know that was gonna happen. It happens with every other white silicon case.. Theres a few threads in here discussing cleaning methods for it.

And otterbox has superior customer service! That's why they're sending you a free replacement :) can't complain about that..