otterbox commuter opinions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DashSatan, Feb 2, 2012.

1. DashSatan macrumors 6502

Recently I've noticed a lot of people have been showing this case some love. Ive never been an otterbox fan, too bulky, but I'm looking to add some protection to my phone. Right now rockin the incipio feather. This case seems the good amount of protection. What are your opinions on the case? My roommate has the ballistic shell gel for his incredible 2 and he thoroughly enjoys dropping it for fun and watching it bounce ha but the shell gel apparently attracts lint a lot. So I'm definitely leaning towards the commuter.

2. is300guy macrumors regular

I have the commuter and used it for 2 weeks. Its a "great protective case" and offers great port functionality for both headphone jack and 30 pin connectors. The volume and sleep/wake buttons are easily accessible and easy to use. As far as lint goes, I don't have any issues with it cause I always have my iPhone in my pocket, although I have the "china" version, which is a bit more soft compared to the United states version, which is a thicker (silicon wise) version.
    The only complaint that I may have is that the silicone part seems to take up some space on the front screen, which kinda bugs when you're typing in landscape mode being that the space bar is low to the screen. Anyhow, I am currently retiring it for a SGP Linear EX Color (Soul Black) for the moment and will use the commuter when I go on trips and the outdoors. Hope this helps a bit.

3. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Commuter Series is Not THAT Bulky.

I think the commuter series is the best protection with minimum bulkiness.

It still attract lint and such but i have a habit of taking the phone out the case and give it a good clean every 2 weeks.

4. is300guy macrumors regular

I think that would depend on "who" thinks its too bulky or not. I am use to the feeling of a thin case and when I jumped the gun on the commuter, it took me a few days to get used to the "extra thickness" of the commuter. Everyone has different preferences so I guess each to his/her own opinions. But I agree, I would take my iP4S out every 4-5 days to clean it.

5. Jmouse macrumors 6502

True that, i always tempted to use my phone naked every time i took it off the otterbox and cleans it, its so light and thin without the case.

6. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am too... I use the Defender. But, it's not practical for me, so the case goes back on.

7. Balibalistic macrumors regular

Ok, I hated the commuter. It looks good but it is very slippery, being mostly plastic outer shell. I mean I was more likely to drop my phone in the commuter. I switched to the seidio active x with holster.., amazing case!! Then the other day I held an otterbox defender. Yes it's bulky and yes it is GRIPPY as a mutha. Sold!!! Gotoneand love it. I will still use the active for a switch up case.

8. Mac2012 macrumors regular

Maybe you should "ask it" if it wants to be in one?
    AND, if you drop it just ONE TIME it's toast so bulky or not, if you want to keep your phone then...

9. jollyreaper macrumors regular

I like it but the only problem is I can't get a good supply of screen protectors. What it ships with is very nice but will take damage. Otterbox has sent me a spare but they don't sell them separately. Given the amount of damage the first one took I'd think that they need to be swapped every 3 or 4 months.

Also, I'm AMAZED at the amount of oil and gunk that gets trapped under the phone, behind the case. It might be via the stupid cleavage window they insist on putting in the damn case. No, I'm not so insecure I need to advertise to the world I have a damn iphone. I don't need everyone to see the logo.

10. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I have the yellow and grey commuter and the yellow gets dirty very fast! That is my only complaint.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

use it and love it.

Recently though, when pulling it out of my pocket, if I put it in top-first, the top part will sort of buckle and the inner liner will go up under the plastic part a little. This causes an issue with the sleep/wake button. it's only happened twice but I hope it doesn't continue...

----------

... if I had a suggestion to otterbox, I would say for the next iteration, make the inner-liner a bit more snug. As if it were the ONLY part of the case... make it so it has to be stretched a little to get on the phone...

12. Jmclark macrumors regular

I bought an Otterbox Commuter with my 4S about 3 months ago, and it's the only case I've used so far. It's great protection wise, and has saved my ass a few times. I also think it looks really good on my white iPhone (I got the glacier Commuter). However, yes, it does add bulk, but it's not that big of an issue, since I think it definitely makes it feel sturdier and gives it a better grip.

HOWEVER, I am about to receive my third case in the mail. The first two cracked just from regular use. I like to take my case off when I get home, so that I can use my speaker cable with it, and because the 4S just looks so much better naked, and just taking it off/putting it back on caused the plastic to crack. I'm pretty upset by this, and will be selling my replacement Commuter brand new and using the money to get a new case.

So basically, the Commuter is a good case, if you don't take it off often to go naked or switch cases. So I'd recommend the case, but just be careful.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I would say you're going to have a hard time finding a case that doesn't break/stretch/something when you take it off/on frequently.

I don't know cause I'm not in the business but I would venture a guess that case makers: 1. don't design cases (purposely) that can be taken off/on a lot and 2. don't test their cases under such a scenario (i.e. sit there and take a case off and put it back on over and over to simulate the effect of repeated on/off).

I'm not saying that your experience is not true or that it is unfounded... as I mentioned, it seems like the inner-liner of my commuter is starting to stretch and I've only taken mine off twice since putting it on 2 months ago.

I'm just saying I would guess that you may run into the same types of issues with other cases unless they're advertised as "easy to take on/off" etc.

14. Anonymous Mac macrumors newbie

Canada, Northern America, Earth, Universe
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just ordered a realtree defender :3 I've heard great things about otterbox. Commuter just isn't strong enough for my everyday uses.

15. is300guy, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

is300guy macrumors regular

Erh, this comment made no sense:confused:. Like your iPhone has its own opinion and mind, lol. Maybe I'll ask "Siri," LMAO! Its just my opinion after all.

16. JMies419 macrumors 6502

The case offers great protection IMO. I had one, sold it. I was never a fan of the soft flimy silicone material and that is what Otterbox uses for the first layer in this case. It is very soft and pulls away from open areas on the side easily. Also, the black silicone picks up A LOT of lint IMO and I can not stand a case that attracks or holds lint. I will say the individual I sold the case to loves it and says its all he will ever use on his iphone. Everyone is different.

17. Mr D macrumors 6502

Had this case and returned it. It offers great protection...will seem a bit bulky at 1st then you'll get used to it... it's definitely on the edge of being a tad bulky and just bulky.

Problem with the case for me was, installing it was a PITA...literally took FOREVER and had times where I would just stop and do it again at later time.

But if you want a good PROTECTIVE case that you won't be removing often, then get it... but if protection isn't a PRIMARY concern, go for a better one.