OtterBox Commuter or Case-Mate Hybrid Tough Case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Austin M., Jan 29, 2011.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Thinking about getting a more protective case since my SwitchEasy Odyssey has not been growing on me lately, and I have it narrowed it down to these two cases. Which one offers more drop protection and has anyone had expierence with BOTH cases?

2. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

get em both, i like the commuter but the casemate is a little bit tighter fit where the commuter has some silicone sides that are a little loose. get em both and compare them , either way cant go wrong

3. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I don't have the money for both, and I heard techdude say they redesigned the Commuter with tighter silicone.

4. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

even if the silicone is tighter the casemate case has the back peice holding the sides almost the whole length of the case so it has to be tighter. you could wait for the reflex to come out it is the same size as the commuter

5. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Uh, no. The Commuter fits significantly tighter due to it having plastic on all 4 sides. The silicone doesn't come off or get stuck at all. A little bit of a lint catcher but not really.

Also, the silicone on the new Commuter isn't tighter. The plastic is tighter, thus causing the case to be tighter to the phone. You can bend the plastic of the old one (I did) to do the same thing.

Personally, I found the Tough to be annoying. There is no protection on the bottom and the really loose fitting silicone was annoying, especially on the bottom where it would catch on my pants.

Truly the only negative thing about the Commuter is that this is no protection for the Apple logo. A $2 monoprice.com screen shield fixes that. Also the Commuter is cheaper on Amazon.

6. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

If you are worried about the loose silicone you could check out the one piece hybrids like the Pop and Candyshell.

7. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

the first commuter i had the silicon on the sides near the buttons was not tight and lint would get in there very easily. the top piece of plastic that holds the silicone on by the on/off button cracked and broke off the first time i dropped it, i still would get the otterbox over the casemate i was just saying there are some flaws with the case, they have great customer service though

8. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

Otterbox is the better one. since the plastic goes around all 4 sides, it really locks the silicone in and keeps it tightly in place. The tough was all that good in my experience, the top and bottom areas are loose, and the plastic doesn't seem to really lock onto the silicone all that well either. You may also want to look into the Seidio Active and Incipio Silicrylic. Both of them are very good too.