Otterbox Commuter Silicone life?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LaCosta, Apr 7, 2011.

1. LaCosta macrumors member

I read here that many rave about the Otterbox Commuter. A hybrid case that has silicone.

When I look at the silicone, it is a bit softer than many others that I have seen.

What is the life of the silicone? Does it get stretched out? Does it tear? How about the polycarbonate...does it scratch or discolor (thinking of getting the white shell).

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Otterbox has a guarantee. If you need a new silicon they'll send you a knew one no questions asked.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.

i really like a few of there cases.. sick of the rubbish i find on ebay, and the extortionate prices on the high street

i need to find a vendor that ships to the Uk

4. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

Isn't the Otterbox guarantee only for one year? Perhaps one year warranty is good enough.

So....does the silicone case stretch out where it requires a replacement?

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes but it also depends on how vigorously you use it.

6. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone to help me with my case selection.

I purchased an Otterbox Commuter and it has been great. First few days the edging of my wet applied screen protector started slightly to come up....but I would just get the bubble out and it would adhere without any marks or distortion. Then after the Otterbox silicone broke in, it no longer was causing an issue.

I like how the poly carbonate shell is holding and firming up the silicone. And the little bit of silicone that is showing gives the impression that it will protect the phone in a drop.

I like the Commuter. Thanks.