Otterbox Commuter v Reflex

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by vladtheimpaler, Oct 17, 2011.

1. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

I was hoping I could get some opinions on which of these Otterbox cases are better. If you have any feedback, this would be appreciated. I am looking to pick up one of these for the 4S as both are/will be available.

:apple:

2. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I really wanted to like the Reflex series, but I had a big issue with it. The first Reflex case I got, the bottom portion was so lose it would wiggle back and forth on the phone all the time, it was so bad I didn't think it would stay on the phone.

I contacted Otterbox and they sent a replacement, that one wasn't as bad but still had the issue. The only way I could fix this myself was to put a screen shield on the back of the phone and this gave the phone the added thickness to keep the bottom half of the case from moving around so much.

I ended up going back to the Commuter because it seemed fit better and I liked that it covered the dock port and the headphone jack. The couple of issues with the Commuter I did have is the silicone can get stretched out a bit and not fit the phone very well. I found that if you put it on the phone and leave it on, it didn't happen so quickly but if you put it on and take it off a lot, it stretches out sooner, and the silicone can catch some lint on it.

Overall I prefer the Commuter over the Reflex.

3. vladtheimpaler thread starter macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

Ok thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the commuter. Anyone else have any feedback.

4. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've had a ton of cases over the last 2 years, but my favorite, by far, is the Commuter. I had one on my 3GS and it saved it from drops on numerous occasions. I simply don't have the issue of the silicone gathering lint like others do (I have no idea why). But the built-in port protectors are the best feature. No worrying about random water drops or dirt getting in there.

I now have two for my 4S and it's just as good as the 3GS version.

The silicone will VERY slightly stretch out over time if you take it off and on a lot, but it's negligible. Another nice feature is being able get different colored shells and silicone pieces and combine them to get your own color combinations. While not really important, it's nice to be able to change things up every once in a while. I've currently got the black silicone mixed with the royal blue plastic shell, and it looks great. My other combo is the white silicone (that came with the blue shell) combined with the black shell (that came with the black silicone). Next up, I want the gray silicone with the green shell. :D What can I say? I'm a case fanatic.

I don't really like "split" cases like the Reflex, so I can't give any opinion there.

6. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Well, if someone gets a newer Reflex case I'd like to know how well it fits. Mine were very early versions so they may have fixed the issues I had with mine.

7. AdamskiUK macrumors regular

Do the iPhone 4 Universal editions affect 4S Cameras?

8. Kaenon macrumors regular

Just bought the commuter on Saturday for the 4S and I like it a lot. Keeps the form factor of the iPhone along with plugging the places where dust can get in.

Not sure how much drop (shock) protection there is though for $39.99 ...

9. BrianSoCal macrumors regular

Where did you pick up the Commuter? I've checked 3 Best Buy's and haven't had any luck.

10. iSIILENT macrumors regular

I placed a order thru att on Thursday received it and installed it today , like it alot , did you get yours from outterbox or att , the one that I got from att did not come with screen protector but for some reason I figured the outterbox ones come with one.

11. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

About same size as Pixelskin HD...

I'm going to compare the two.

13. ProMed12 macrumors member

Ordered this commuter on the 7th, still waiting.

[​IMG]

14. cerisier macrumors member

I just ordered the teal Commuter case, I'm really looking forward to it. Really the only reason I ordered it over the Reflex case was that I liked the color better :cool:

15. rkeato1 macrumors regular

I'm usually a thin case kind of guy, but I'd like to protect my 4S. I dig the commuter in appearance, but I'm curious to know if it has issues with screen protectors? Anyone?

16. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Well thats not too bad then! i had one of those on my iphone 4. Lovely case.

17. AdamskiUK macrumors regular

By the looks of it, Commuters are arriving damaged.

Not good news.

18. iSIILENT macrumors regular

Damage how so?

19. ProMed12 macrumors member

Based on what exactly?