Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamskiUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Whilst I'm sure this has been debated somewhere on this vast forum, I can't find a straight-up comparison. I've looked at all the iPhone 4 reviews for both cases, and I just can't decide which one to pick up for my brand new shiny iPhone 4S. I'm pretty sure it'll be one of the two.

Anyone with any experience with either care to share their opinions please? Also, does the antenna get scratched using either cases (probably not, but I need a perfect resale in 12 months time, so...)

If anyone's completely against these cases, could you recommend something with similar protection but more to your liking?

:D

drb1992

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
I plan on getting the commutor case (I have no prior exp with either cases). There are a few reasons why I am getting the commutor case over the reflex case, like it covers up ports, so I won't have to worry about dust or whatever getting inside them. Also, I just like how the case consist of a silicone shell and a hard shell. I think I am going to buy the commutor case and GPS Ultra Oleophobic screen protector for my iPhone 4S.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I'd like to know about the two cases as well. I'm in the same situation with getting a the new phone on Friday (hopefully earlier) as well. I've narrowed it down to these two cases as well.

Out of the 2, I was wondering if anyone knew of any belt holsters that these would fit in? I hate keeping my phone in my pocket.

Thanks.

JLaGreca

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Im planing on picking up the Commuter case. No experience with either of them, but watching youtube reviews for it has me drooling. Plus that Army Green/Gun Metal Gray look is hot!

I'm also debating wrapping my 4S in Invisible Shield pre commuter. Anybody else use this combo?

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Im planing on picking up the Commuter case. No experience with either of them, but watching youtube reviews for it has me drooling. Plus that Army Green/Gun Metal Gray look is hot!

I'm also debating wrapping my 4S in Invisible Shield pre commuter. Anybody else use this combo?

I'm doing an invisible shield on the screen.... now that I realize that on the back of the Commuter, the Apple logo isn't covered by anything, I'll probably put the screen protector that comes with it on the back somehow to cover that lol

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I posted this in another Otterbox thread:

I had the Commuter for a week or so and didn't like it. The silicone attracts dust and lint like crazy. The plastic shell also seemed cheap and flimsy - it was a pain trying to get it in its proper place.

My buddy has the Reflex and I really liked it. It seems to offer great protection and a minimal design. I like to dock my phone, so it's nice to be able to just slide off the bottom half of the case. I pre-ordered a Reflex case for my 4S, so I can't wait to try it out.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Get a wrapsol instead of the Invisible Shield. Zero orange tint, doesn't lift over time as it is thicker than the IS, easier to install, and overall feels better to use (less sticky feeling).

As for the 2 cases, get the commuter. You will not be able to use a SP with the Reflex. I have had multiple Reflex cases (some review units, others bought and then returned) and each one either lifted or marked up the SP really bad. I've also heard rumors of it scratching the front glass as the inside that touches the screen is really sharp. Didn't do it to mine, but it did ruin the SP so it might have.

The commuter silicone will attract lint and stretch over time, but the case offers great drop protection. It slides pretty well into and out of everything but a really tight jean pocket.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I have the Reflex case and just love it. I haven't liked Otterbox products in the past. Personally, I think they just look tacky. The Reflex is a slider case which I really prefer and it offers what I think is the best protection of any case for the iPhone.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have the Reflex case and just love it. I haven't liked Otterbox products in the past. Personally, I think they just look tacky. The Reflex is a slider case which I really prefer and it offers what I think is the best protection of any case for the iPhone.

Do you use any type of screen protector with your Reflex?

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Get a wrapsol instead of the Invisible Shield. Zero orange tint, doesn't lift over time as it is thicker than the IS, easier to install, and overall feels better to use (less sticky feeling).

As for the 2 cases, get the commuter. You will not be able to use a SP with the Reflex. I have had multiple Reflex cases (some review units, others bought and then returned) and each one either lifted or marked up the SP really bad. I've also heard rumors of it scratching the front glass as the inside that touches the screen is really sharp. Didn't do it to mine, but it did ruin the SP so it might have.

The commuter silicone will attract lint and stretch over time, but the case offers great drop protection. It slides pretty well into and out of everything but a really tight jean pocket.

Thanks for the info, but it's too late lol I already ordered the IS. :(

Maybe when that messes up I'll check out the one you recommended.

I'm not too worried about the dust aspect on a Commuter. My goal is to use a belt clip with that one anyway. I've read that the Seidio Innocase Holster works with the Commuter, so I'm interested in that. Still looking for something else though, clip wise.

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just bought the black Commuter yesterday. The only thing I don't like is the opening for the logo on the back. Wish it was covered by plastic. I'll be covering it up myself though. Maybe use wrapping plastic or piece of black garbage bag to seal it up under the case. Don't wanna scratch up the logo.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010

I'm not too worried about the dust aspect on a Commuter. My goal is to use a belt clip with that one anyway. I've read that the Seidio Innocase Holster works with the Commuter, so I'm interested in that. Still looking for something else though, clip wise.

The Seidio clip works fine it is just expensive. I got one when I got a review unit for the Rugged Case/Combo. The standard Surface one was fine. Works with a ton of cases like the Candyshell or even the Apple Bumper.

Personally I used a Blackberry 8800 case I had left over from my work phone that I broke. It was slightly more protective and I like the leather flap that went over top. The Seidio one has a lock on the clip that you have to engage/disengage. I'm sure you can get one cheap on Amazon or eBay. It is a leather case. You can also find a generic one at Wal-Mart, Target, or even Amazon again.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

Do you use any type of screen protector with your Reflex?

Yes, I use the SGP Ultra Fine Anti Fingerprint screen protector. One thing I like about the SGP screen protectors is that they are cut a little smaller so you don't have problems with bubbling.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
A lot of people gave the Commuter negative reviews.... like 1 star. lol. I guess it all depends.

A lot of the complaints was that the silicon gets crap stuck on it and sometimes comes off when going in and out of the pocket. This won't apply for me if I throw it in a case, hopefully.

JLaGreca

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011

I've heard from friends, co-workers, and people on these boards that Invisible Shield is too thick, a sticky mess, peels off after 6 months, etc. But to tell a positive story (and make you feel a little better about ordering it), prior to the iPhone 4S I was on an iPod Touch 4gen and a separate cell phone. Granted I was very slow and cautious when applying it, but I got the Invisible Shield on the touch perfectly on my first try. I had never applied a screen protector of any kind onto a device before this, and didn't have any problems. A few mild air bubbles got in there, but like the directions say, they went away after 24 hours or so.

I'm planning on applying the otterbox screen protector to the back to fortify the Apple logo as well. But now that I think of it, maybe I'll return the IS front protector for a full body. Hmmm....

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Personally I used a Blackberry 8800 case I had left over from my work phone that I broke. It was slightly more protective and I like the leather flap that went over top. The Seidio one has a lock on the clip that you have to engage/disengage. I'm sure you can get one cheap on Amazon or eBay. It is a leather case. You can also find a generic one at Wal-Mart, Target, or even Amazon again.

Hey. I forgot to ask you if you use this Blackberry case with an iPhone that's covered in a Commuter? or do you have it naked?

Thanks

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Commuter is the best case money can buy, IMHO.

I've kinda grown tired of it since I preordered it before it was even launched for the iPhone 4...I'm kinda just wanting a change really, but I'm struggling because I know nothing I find will be better...so I'm just looking for "just as good."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.