OtterBox Commuter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by OwenMeasures, Mar 9, 2013.

1. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

I'm looking at getting the OtterBox Commuter case for my iPhone 5... I have had cases before for my 4/4S but they have let in dust that eventually scratches the aluminium on the iPhone.

Can anyone tell me if the OtterBox Commuter stops this from happening.

2. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

3. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Not true, the 4/4s Otterbox was made out of inferior material to what the new one is.

Much tighter fitting

4. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

The silicon they use is a dust magnet. The huge openings in the back only make it worse

5. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Avoid. Mine had a power button that was almost imposible to press, replacement was the same. Also has a huge silly lip.

6. HiRisk macrumors 6502

I liked this case a lot. Only downfall to me is the power button being hard to press. Dust wasn't an issue for me. The silicone didn't attract a lot of dust like the Incipio Dual Pro, which was the biggest issue with that case.

7. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I would avoid it for the sole reason that it has an Apple logo cutout. :eek:

8. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I agree that the silicon on the new-gen iP5 Commuter is lots better than the one I used on my 4/4s. It keeps it shape 100% better. I have several other cases...

*Speck Candyshells (3)
    *Incipio Pro and clip-on
    *InCase Slider & Slider Pro

...but I always seem to come back to the Commuter. Yeah, it's a little thick and kind of clunky, and I hate the stupid "hole" on the back that leaves the Apple logo vunerable to damage...and just looks amazingly dumb...but I have a confidence that if, on a rare occasion that I drop the phone I believe I'm protected better than in the other cases. It's also pretty "grippy" and easy to hold on to without being a pocket lint magnet like the Incipio and InCase cases that rely on the rubberized paint coating to provide traction.

Hope I like my soon-coming Mophie Juice Pack Air enough to use it instead. If not...it's back to the Commuter.