Otterbox Commuter?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davistld01, Sep 26, 2014.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Who's using an Otterbox Commuter on their iPhone 6/6+? How do you like it? Is it too bulky?

2. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

An Otterbox Commuter chewed the hell out of my 5. No way I'm putting one on another phone.

3. Sacha2304 macrumors newbie

I've heard that otterbox has had fitment problems with the commuter case. Can anyone confirm this issue?

4. Munitalp macrumors 65816

According to the numerous reviews I've seen on the Otterbox website and Facebook it seems to not fit correctly and have bad cutouts that block the headphone port.

5. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

Was it the commuter or the defender?
    Commuter was great for my 4s, but the defender trashed it.
    I've got my eye on the symmetry whenever it comes out for the 6 plus

6. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

The Commuter fits my iP6 perfectly, but it's a tad bulky for me and makes it that much harder to use one handed...for me, at least. I was shopping for some other opinions.

I love the idea of the protection it gives, but I'd like it to be slimmer.

7. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Definitely Commuter

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I had a commuter for three weeks for my 5, it broke when I gently tried to remove it. Never using another Otterbox for any iDevice. Overpriced and not made well.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I don't like the commuter series the hard plastic shell is slippery for me

10. iMule macrumors 6502

Otterbox Relex for iPhone 5/5S: Scratched the bottom and sides up due to rough edges. This case was the absolute worst.

Defender for 5/5S: front facing camera cutout carved itself into oleophobic coating on the screen and the Touch ID hole was the worst idea on the planet for dust/hair getting into the screen. I used mine for a month, and my brother used his for a year. He literally has a perfect imprint of the plastic around the touch screen and the front facing camera. It's gnarly.

Otterbox Preserver for the 5/5S: the best waterproof case I've ever owned. It's crucial, because I go kayaking as much as possible.

They're capable of making good stuff, and I know these aren't for the 6, but in my experience with them, their fit and poor placement of materials results in cosmetic scars.

11. epphllps macrumors 6502

A silicone case chewed your phone?? Never ever had any issues with a commuter. Defender hurt one of my phones, but there is no way a commuter will chew a phone. I mean it's inner lining is rubberized and just like many other cases made by big time brands that don't chew through phones.

Anyone who is curious, the only issue with the commuter is the open cutout to show the apple logo which can leads to scratches, but is standard on these cases, and the misaligned port covering for the earbud port. Otherwise, it's a solid case and I'm fond of it. I still tend to have 3-4 cases for each iphone lol.

12. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

I suppose I should have phrased differently. It must have let dirt or something in, which subsequently scratched the sides. Here is a link to the eBay auction where I just sold the phone I am talking about. You'll see the problems.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221555462676

13. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

I often buy used phones and whenever I see a ad where someone says that it has been in a Otterbox from day one, I know that it will have fine scratches all over the phone. You might have different associations with Otterbox but for me I would never put my phone in one, unless I was going to disarm a bomb.