OtterBox Defect?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ad2medina, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ad2medina macrumors newbie

I got a OtterBox Defender for my ^ and when i took my phone out of it it had left like some residue around were the touch ID, and i have tried everything to get out and it still there, Alcohol, water , lint free rag , microfiber rag all and nothing , i called otterbox and they say that they recommend using alcohol.

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

You are not alone. Someone else reported the same issue which is why I returned mine.

3. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I saw someone post on their Facebook about this too... seems their cases are having a lot of problems.

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Lifeproof here I come! I was going to get the defender for my 6+ but after I heard about this it's a definite deal breaker. I guess it's a good thing they took so long.

5. gppittjk macrumors regular

Yea that was my thread. I've gotten to the point that I'm fairly certain the "residue" is actually very fine microscratching. On mine, I am able to get the marks to disappear when the phone is totally clean, and for the most part they've worn to not being super evident even when dirty. But if the oil from my fingers collects around the touchID (which happens a lot given that it's a fingerprint sensor), I can still see the marks. Otterbox customer service was awful about it. I get that they don't extend a warranty to a non-Otterbox product, but they need to do something because the case is damaging phones. All they wanted to do was replace the case. No thanks.

6. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Life proof is owned by Otterbox. I'd wait and see before jumping head first.

7. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Good tip. Thanks for the heads up

8. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

If you don't intent to throw your phone into a rock quarry, Incipio makes excellent cases.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

As does Speck.

10. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

With my kids around it's more like a woodchipper!:eek:

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

even on my 4 the phone looked dirty when I took it out of the defender, its rock solid but the silicone attracks dust and it gets in the case

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

My housemates otterbox for his 5s had scratched all the edges of his phone when he took it out

I'd just stay away from otterbox tbh

13. oldcelt macrumors 6502

Returned my Otterbox as I noticed the residue, just after a very short time.
    Am trying the Griffin.