Otterbox Defender 3g Case-warning, Design Flaws !!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by scott99, Oct 1, 2008.

1. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Hello All,

I just wanted to warn you about the new Defender case for Otterbox for the iPhone 3G. I have given nothing but praise for the Defender case for the original iPhone, but have issues with the new one. Oddly enough, the one and only flaw in the original Defender, was the mute switch on the phone was covered up by the case. This one flaw was fixed on the 3G Defender, but it also has become it's major design flaw. I have now owned two of these cases, and both times the silicon has ripped near the flap for the mute/vibrate button.

Also, the holster for the case was redesigned. It now has stubs that stick out inside the holster, with corresponding holes in the case. This holds the case in the holster really well, but actually TOO well. It takes a ton of force to get the case out of the holster, which possibly can cause the tearing of the silicone. Since Otterbox does NOT send an instruction manual for the Otterbox Defender 3G case, you are really forced to figure out how the case and holster work on your own. They include a generic instruction manual for an iPod ! Not the Defender 3G case. It is quite easy to get the case on, but the holster issue can cause problems.

Sad to say, I have sent many emails about getting the instruction manual for the Otterbox 3G, and they actually mailed it to me, but to my surprise, it was the same generic iPod instructions. Then when they shipped me a NEW case due to the first one ripping, it also had the same instruction manual. I must admit, Otterbox has fantastic customer service, and shipped me the new case without asking me to ship the old one back, or even ask for proof. But unfortunately, my second case ripped once again, in the same place, by the mute/vibrate button.

2. wrxsilverbullet macrumors newbie

The documentation that is shipped with the case is indeed rather weak. I have had all my questions answered by visiting the blog on otterbox.com. They have instructions for removing the case from the holster on the blog. There is a technique that makes it much easier.

I ordered my defender case the day they were available and it has been on my iPhone every minute since. The case has worked flawlessly for me. I do make sure all the port covers are closed. A rugged case is a necessity in my line of work and this case delivers on all of its promises.

3. scott99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. May give it a try one more time. It is my favorite case, though the one for the 3G seems to cling to lint way more than the Defender for the original iPhone.