Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mototriu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Hello.I have Solo Beats By Dr.Dre and I am planning to get a 4s once the new iphone comes out.I was wondering if the L shaped headphone jack would fit in the otterbox defender case for the iphone 4s.If not are there any solutions to make it fit?

Enyen

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I would be interested to know what you found out (or whether anyone else knows anything).

I bought an Otterbox Defender case for my new iPhone 5 and discovered later that I could not plug in my Beats headphones through the small opening of the case. The Monster cable that came with the headphones is L-shaped, so I've had to resort to unreliable headphone extenders. Any ideas regarding quality headphone expenders that support the mic?

Thanks,

Mike
enyen@comcast.net

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I would be interested to know what you found out (or whether anyone else knows anything).

I bought an Otterbox Defender case for my new iPhone 5 and discovered later that I could not plug in my Beats headphones through the small opening of the case. The Monster cable that came with the headphones is L-shaped, so I've had to resort to unreliable headphone extenders. Any ideas regarding quality headphone expenders that support the mic?

Thanks,

Mike
enyen@comcast.net

I bought my son the defender for his iphone 5... because he is a klutz, and he is constantly nagging me because the Beats L shape plug does not fit. I have searched far and wide for a replacement cable with control talk and no luck so far...

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Thanks,

Mike
enyen@comcast.net

ok. I just found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15cm-3-5mm-...=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3ccbbe0584

Azure-m

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Sorry from bringing back an old post, but I have the same issue now and was wondering if that cable from eBay was any help?

Enyen

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Sorry from bringing back an old post, but I have the same issue now and was wondering if that cable from eBay was any help?

Well, it works well enough most of the time, but I have noticed that while it's plugged in I sometimes have random starts/stops/pauses with the music on my phone. Also, the button on the headphones rarely works. Are you having these kind of issues, or has it worn-out already?

Azure-m

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Well, it works well enough most of the time, but I have noticed that while it's plugged in I sometimes have random starts/stops/pauses with the music on my phone. Also, the button on the headphones rarely works. Are you having these kind of issues, or has it worn-out already?

I figured I would pop back on and give my results. I took a chance and got one of the cables from eBay. Just listening to music or something is fine no issues, but inline control results where everywhere.

Beats Studio, inline controls worked but every time I used them got lots of static.

Beats Solo, inline controls and sound were perfect.

urBeats, inline controls did not even work. In fact I had to restart the the iphone to even get the inline controls to start working again.

Klipsch S4i, the start/start worked but volume controls did not work.

Bose MIE2i, volume controls worked, but start/stop did not.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Ive read reviews that mention the "DLO Headphone Adapter" works with the Otterbox. Try google for details.

I got it to use on my Vapor 4 (4S) and I had to sand down the plastic part above the jack to make it fit since the Vapor 4 has a very deep narrow headphone jack port (very poor design in this regard).

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
The beats tour earphones have a 90 degree angle plug and it will not fit an iPhone 5 with an Otterbox defender. I emailed Beats and they do not have an adapter. Why they made a 90 degree angle is beyond me with the iphone and Otterbox so common. Make it straight or make an adapter. I returned them $149 sale was lost by Beats.

Filocullen

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Hi, just wondering (I'm not an expert), wouldn't it be possible to connect to the iPhone the straight ending part of the cable instead of the L shaped?cause its always a 3,5 mm jack

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
You have to buy a straight end to put in the iPhone and then it will stick further out of the case and allow the Beats 90 degree to seat properly.

The problem is (1) you have to find one that can handle audio AND the microphone for phone calls. Most of those found on eBay and amazon handle the audio ok, but have issues with the microphone. Radio Shack does not carry, nor any other electronics store. (2) these headsets cost $149 and now I have to go buy an adapter at added cost and degrading the performance?

That is not acceptable. They need to offer the adapter as smartphones are expensive and Otterbox (as well as others) cases are very popular for protection and for the younger generation who Beats markets their products towards.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Got it a few months ago. Wanted to post a follow-up for others:

Works great with Otterbox and Beats Solo. All functions work: Mic, remote, volume all working.

Cable extension is only like 4 inches long it really solves the problem. Definate buy.

----------

Hi, just wondering (I'm not an expert), wouldn't it be possible to connect to the iPhone the straight ending part of the cable instead of the L shaped?cause its always a 3,5 mm jack

this doesn't work. the straight end doesn't have the 4th pole for mic and remote etc. Adapter I bought and posted above works perfectly.

----------

You have to buy a straight end to put in the iPhone and then it will stick further out of the case and allow the Beats 90 degree to seat properly.

The problem is (1) you have to find one that can handle audio AND the microphone for phone calls. Most of those found on eBay and amazon handle the audio ok, but have issues with the microphone. Radio Shack does not carry, nor any other electronics store. (2) these headsets cost $149 and now I have to go buy an adapter at added cost and degrading the performance?

That is not acceptable. They need to offer the adapter as smartphones are expensive and Otterbox (as well as others) cases are very popular for protection and for the younger generation who Beats markets their products towards.

The adapter I suggested above works perfectly and costs less than 5$.

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
I think it is ridiculous that we have to go buy an adapter after paying $150 for the earphones. They include like 7 different ear pieces, include a 90 degree to straight adapter. If it is $5 on ebay, Dre can get it made damn cheap and make a $1 less profit.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I think it is ridiculous that we have to go buy an adapter after paying $150 for the earphones. They include like 7 different ear pieces, include a 90 degree to straight adapter. If it is $5 on ebay, Dre can get it made damn cheap and make a $1 less profit.

Or maybe otterbox should provide an adaptor with their 80$ case?

PDACPA

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Florida
Otterbox case was $40.

Otterbox makes cases. Beats are the sound company. Do they want their high end earbuds sounding like crap because some case maker creates a cheap adapter? For $150 the headphones can include a couple of adapters to fit a multitude of applications and preserve their sound quality.

Dakaudd

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
I know this thread is probably dead. But I have an iPhone 5 and recently ordered a defender ottie and realized that my jack (solo hd) probably won't fit. The adapter links above are dead. I tried searching amazon and I don't even know what I'm looking for if someone could help. Thx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.