Otterbox Defender anyone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iMetalG5, Oct 23, 2008.

1. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I'm going back and forth with this case (Love/Hate) and am wondering who out there owns one and wears one day in day out?

I've been borrowin one for 2 days and i have found some issues (nothing major) with the design. Now the one I am borrowing has seen abuse (construction worker). The guy that owns this says his iPhone 3G looks like it did out of the box.

Some issues are:

1- Bulky, sorta a brick.

2- Hard to unholster fast but can be done with practice as I have found. I initially had trouble taking the iPhone out of the holster but after figuring out the two finger method its easy now, just different.

3- Rubber outter layer sometimes snags when holstering. If not careful you could stretch the rubber and ruin the form fit. Which has happened somewhat on this borrowed one.

4- Oil slick effect on screen. This can be taken care of with a light dusting of baby powder (it actually does works)!

The case does gain a lot of attention in the office. People are unsure what the heck it is! They can see the Apple logo and think its some new Apple product :D It is pretty large on the belt and sits lower than most holsters I'm use to.

The thing that makes me really like this case is its protection. Just yesterday i had my iPhone in the Defender and it actually did fall and tumble in a parking lot :eek: i kinda freaked since its so new! I looked at it and the iPhone worked as its supposed to, Defender looked as if nothing happened... took it out and my iPhone looked fine. Thank god. So it made me realize anything will and can happen... being paranoid? haha.

The other thing was yesterday afternoon my friend (who has the 'old' iPhone) walked through a dust storm. My friend was using his iPhone and after we walked through it I asked if I could look at his iPhone. The thing had dust in every opening and dirt all over the screen (no screen protector on his!!!). So that made me think...

Last year I dropped my BB into 8ft of snow and couldn't find it for 5mins and when I found it it was soaked. granted it was a company cell but it got messed up. No case though.

Just looking for Defender owners opinions... thanks

2. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I really really LIKED this case, but I found some design flaws I didn't like, and ripped both cases, here's my thread:

Otterbox Defender 3g Case-warning, Design Flaws !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All,

I just wanted to warn you about the new Defender case for Otterbox for the iPhone 3G. I have given nothing but praise for the Defender case for the original iPhone, but have issues with the new one. Oddly enough, the one and only flaw in the original Defender, was the mute switch on the phone was covered up by the case. This one flaw was fixed on the 3G Defender, but it also has become it's major design flaw. I have now owned two of these cases, and both times the silicon has ripped near the flap for the mute/vibrate button.

Also, the holster for the case was redesigned. It now has stubs that stick out inside the holster, with corresponding holes in the case. This holds the case in the holster really well, but actually TOO well. It takes a ton of force to get the case out of the holster, which possibly can cause the tearing of the silicone. Since Otterbox does NOT send an instruction manual for the Otterbox Defender 3G case, you are really forced to figure out how the case and holster work on your own. They include a generic instruction manual for an iPod ! Not the Defender 3G case. It is quite easy to get the case on, but the holster issue can cause problems.

Sad to say, I have sent many emails about getting the instruction manual for the Otterbox 3G, and they actually mailed it to me, but to my surprise, it was the same generic iPod instructions. Then when they shipped me a NEW case due to the first one ripping, it also had the same instruction manual. I must admit, Otterbox has fantastic customer service, and shipped me the new case without asking me to ship the old one back, or even ask for proof. But unfortunately, my second case ripped once again, in the same place, by the mute/vibrate button.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pros and cons of this case:

Pros: I've never felt so confident about a case's protection, except for a waterproof version, no case will protect your case better than the Defender. The integrated screen protector is the best I've ever tried, and I've had the original Artwizz case for iPhone 1, and the Naked case for iPhone 3g. This one is the best. There have been reports of bubbles, or water slicks underneath, but do yourself a favor if you buy a case with integrated screen protectors, get an anti-glare screen protector, and the bubbles and water slicks will never happen. Also, Otterbox has top-notch customer service !

Cons: The reinvented holster causes rips to the silicone due to not having an instruction manual telling you how to get the phone out of the holster. Also, the 3G Defender seems to collect lint more than the Defender for the original iPhone.

3. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yup on this borrowed version (which has seen A TON OF ABUSE) the silicone has slight tears because of the re-holstering not being done "correctly". The guy that owns this claims he never put the iPhone back in the holster correctly so the silicone got caught a number of times on the holster and thus its retained its loose shape and is starting to tear very slightly I can see.

The other issues i guess are mainly preference. The oil slick effect does not happen anymore after puffing some baby powder, then again i heard if i put an anti-glare it will also solve that issue. i think there are a few ways to get around the oil slick.

i guess when i dropped my iPhone and it bounced on the parking lot pavement a few times it got me thinking, wow... if i DID NOT HAVE A CASE... :( this thing "defended" my iPhone 3G. So I have a new found respect for it.

I'm thinking of getting one at a local shop over here for $30. The guy just has one left so I have to act fast. I'm planning on buying it tonight (if its still there).

Very well designed and the added bulk is needed for the ultimate protection.

4. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

I've been using one for several weeks, every day. My only dislike is the 'oil slick' thing but you've offered what sounds like a very easy solution.

I've used my iPhone in a light rain and dropped it a few times on concrete. No damages.

Thumbs up from me.

5. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

have u guys noticed if the case decreases mic range? meaning when you are on a call does the person on the other end complain you sound different?

i had to return the case this morn to its rightful owner but when i tried the speakerphone with the case on the person on the other end said i sounded odd or quiet but nothing really drastic.

my friend just dropped his iPhone3G down some concrete stairs. he put a tiny nick in the glass near the home button and it scuffed the glass a tad because he had no screen protector. the phone locked up when he picked it back up and had to do a hard restart. its fine now but he's thinking about buying an iSkin Revo2 to replace his Incase Slider. He feels the Otterbox might be too much for him...

6. tbird2340 macrumors member

I'm debating on whether to get this case as well.. I LOVE the protection it seems to provide but can't stand how frackin bulky it looks. I watched a youtube review and the guy had it on his belt.. Wow, it looked HUGE.

I just got an iPhone on Monday, it fell out of my pocket Monday night (about 1-2 feet as I was tying my shoe) and the glass cracked.. I'm going to try the Apple store first before I pay to get it fixed or try myself..

Anywho.. I'm trying to find the perfect case.. I want something that offers good protection but I also want a belt clip.. I was considering the revo2 (has belt clip), the Capsule Rebel (one I really want but no belt clip), and the Defender (all the features I want / need but I don't know if I could actually wear it on my belt.. Almost embarrassing it's so big).

7. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

you really have to want this style of case.

At first i felt this case was overkill. Too bulky. Hard to unholster. Etc...

But after spending some real time with it my mind has changed. Others really put this case down because of how it changes how the iPhone looks. But I think it looks kinda neat. yes the front of the iPhone changes in appearance but i'm telling you, this is the ultimate protection. It will take some getting use to for sure. Majority of iPhone users would not use this kinda of case.

Its too bad you can't just "try" it out for a week. This type of case is for an aquired taste. It won't win any Vaja awards but as with anything it has its pros/cons.

I have to say I've never been asked so many times "What is that on your belt?" at the office. Everyone was intrigued...

I'll keep you updated if I get this or not. I'm leaning towards yes. Only because I was able to use it for a while and I understand and know what to expect.

8. tbird2340 macrumors member

Yea, I wish I could try one out just to see how it looks on my hip.. My previous phone was a Motorolla Q which is about the same length as the iPhone but thicker.. This was the case I used on it: [​IMG]

9. scott99 macrumors 6502a

It's true......I've been stopped several times by people who work at the Apple Store asking me about the Defender case & holster. The same people ask me about my new Seidio case and holster.

10. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes the Seidio Innocase could be an option for tbird. its not as bulky, sorta just like the Incase Slider but it has the same logo window on its back. Not as protective against shock maybe but its probably pretty good.

people at work thought it was a new Apple cell phone/tablet!? haha. I didn't really wear it out in public... I will probably buy one tomorrow afternoon at a local shop that carries the Defender. I'll keep you updated.

11. tbird2340 macrumors member

Yea, I seen the Seido but I just can't spend $50+ on a case..

12. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually bought the Otterbox Defender this morn at the mall. $32 cash no tax. The guy that sells them is also on ebay as well but he asked me not to disclose his name. He has 10 more available and I guess he had 30 earlier in the month. So you can get the Otterbox Defender for much less than the $50 retail price. This guy doesn't even have these on display. You gotta ask him and he gets them out from under a cabinet. He also has 2 Vaja cases NIB and 1 Sena dockable NIB which he does not feel is very good. Also had a 2 Switcheasy Capsules that he feels are for the teens!? I'm unsure how he got this product but he showed it to me and it is brand new and they are at good prices... so i don't ask.

I have to say this case is getting better by the hour. My initial thoughts have taken a complete 360 after using it. I do like the way it looks, the way it feels, the way it protects, and it does make it a little bulky but I honestly do not mind. The holster is a beast though. And I still have to practice the two finger one handed unholstering method. I also do have bad 'watermark'/'oil slick'. I have to puff it with a dusting of baby powder. i mean its not that bad if left alone but when watching a movie it does get annoying.

I'm gonna rock it tonight as I am going to a different mall to see if I can exchange my Macbook Pro for some imperfections (doubt it) so we'll see how it feels and works.

If you have any questions in regards to the Otterbox Defender just ask and I will try to give you the answers.

On a side note, stay away from the iSkin Revo 2, my friend bought it and felt its cheaply made. He also tried the Countour Showcase which is sorta similar to the Otterbox and he said it is also cheaply made. He said he did a very small drop with his iPhone (which is broken now) and the case popped open. He's now going to buy an Otterbox after seeing mine but he has to get his iPhone repaired first...

13. tbird2340 macrumors member

I ordered one and it came in today.. How do you get it so the oil look isn't there? I watched an installation video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrusbn-cK_c) and it said to wipe you hand across the iphone before putting it in..

But that just smears across the screen..

14. tbird2340 macrumors member

Never mind. I think I got it..

I put some baby powder on the black iPhone towel and rubbed both the iphone screen and the inside of the protector.. Seemed to do the trick.

15. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

becareful as the membrane scratches very easy.

if i were you i'd just use a Power Support Anti-Glare and you won't have that watermark going on anymore. Babypowder works ok but it doesn't solve the prob.

Do you like it? It takes some time getting use to. You'll have to figure out a way to unholster it. i can do it one handed but its a pain. Two hands i can get the phone out very fast but...

16. BrokenE macrumors regular

I think that you know that the case will do its job and protect your phone. But seeing as how you are so concerned with its bulk, etc, you might live (put up with it) for a few weeks, then it would irritate you so much, you'd move on to getting another, slimmer case.

17. tbird2340 macrumors member

Well that just sucks that you buy an expensive case and you don't get everything to make it "work".. I do have a small oil mark again now.. I don't really feel like dropping more money..

So far, I think the case is good. It definately has awesome protection all around. It is very hard to get out of the belt clip (missed a call this morning because I couldn't get it out fast enough). I don't like the oil issue..

I'll give it a go for a few weeks and see how it works.

18. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

just to show how incredible their customer service is... I did find an imperfection of the membrane. a "spot" that would not go away. looks like a smudge of some sort. called Otterbox and explained the situation and they said they will send me a new case. No questions asked. Well some questions as you can't have just anyone claiming things and getting free cases :p but they shipped me out a new case. Talk about good customer service. This is rare in today's age. The only other company that does stuff like this that I know of is Tri-Tronics who make e-collars for hunting dogs (made in the USA). So if you ever run into an issue with your Defender they will take care of you.

I understand the oil spill/watermark/air bubble deal... but since I already had 2 packs of Power Support Anti-Glare (got it as a gift) I took off my ZAGG and replaced it with the Power Support Anti-Glare and problem solved. Yeah I had to trash a $20 screen protector... are u currently using a screen protector tbird? I wasn't sure how it worked with the screen naked if you'd still get the marks...

yes the unholstering is difficult for sure. but i kept practicing and got it down. but yeah one handed its very tough and admit when i have to i use two hands to get the iPhone out. it is a drawback but at least you know the phone won't fall out by accident when you snag it or hit something. ;)

19. tbird2340 macrumors member

No, I don't have any screen protector. I just got the phone last week and this is the first thing I bought for it.

Good to know they provide good customer service.

20. tbird2340 macrumors member

UPDATE

Thank GOD for this case.. Getting out of my car on Saturday the phone got stuck on the seat belt and the entire phone+belt clip went flying on the concrete.. Case saved the day.. No damage!

PHEW!

21. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glad to hear it protected your phone! so far I haven't dropped it yet but I feel at ease knowing its in the Defender.

someone here said the Defender reminds him of someone putting a "Bra" on the front of their car. I own a somewhat rare and high end auto and I never thought of putting a bra on its front end. I am terrified of getting rock chips in but hey, that's life. The car is not going to stop working if it gets a chip in it. I can deal with that. But if my iPhone drops and the glass cracks that's it. I will have to drop another $200-300 to get a new one. I'd much rather put that money towards more important things. And recently I am meeting a few people who have dropped their iPhones and its not pretty. They had cases on them but it still did not protect the phone that well.

22. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

just wanted to give an update...

i have been rockin this case for a while now and I honestly like it a lot. The protection it offers is top notch. My iPhone shows no new scuff marks since putting it in (i had already had a bunch of scuff marks on the logo from either my Vaja case or from wiping it down with a dirty microfiber). I have dropped my phone once on concrete. It bounced once and landed screen side down. The screen is protected as it has a great "lay on the table" design (recessed). A few tiny scuff marks appeared after the drop.

The silicone seems to hold up well. I wonder if the silicone will stretch out of form in the future. It seems as if the silicone is starting to show slight "wear" marks (dullness) at the high points (corners, port covers).

Holster is definitly a royal pain. It is very difficult to unholster the iPhone. So at times I find myself ditching the holster and putting it in my pocket. The silicone is a lint magnet. Sometimes will "grab" the lining of your pocket when removing. But its a lot faster than unholstering. On the belt is is huge. I have been asked many of times "what is that". I do find the holster useful as a stand.

Covered earpiece works fine. Covered speaker and mic work fine. No one has complained of any "muffle" when talking on the phone. I can hear the sound fine when playing vids, music, etc... Sensor works fine. Touch screen works fine. The only thing is the membrane scratches easy on the INSIDE so becareful cleaning it. I was lucky enough to get a spare Defender so when the time comes I'll switch them out.

When taking the iPhone out of the Defender there is no dust to be seen. Only parts that show dust are the ports. But that's it, no dust makes it into the back or front. Just the port openings.

23. tbird2340 macrumors member

Bump to this thread.. I've had this case for a long time now and it is awesome.. I recently broke the belt clip and bought an entire new OtterBox Defender because I like it so much..

I just realized after getting my second one that it is stupid simple to remove the phone from the holster after you watch the video on their site.. That was my biggest peeve with it but now it's simple as heck..

The one thing I want to know now is are there any docks that will work with this case?

Thanks

24. nezff macrumors regular

25. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Where is the review?