Otterbox Defender - Built-in Screen + SGP Ultra Clear = YAY!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by captainamerica, Oct 1, 2012.

1. captainamerica macrumors member

So I finally found a reasonably priced Otterbox Defender (black) and brought it home with me today! Man is this thing bulky!

I removed the screen protector that ships with the unit and opted instead to use an SGP Ultra Clear screen protector to protect my screen. I couldn't be more thrilled.

The fit of the Otterbox Defender is great on the phone. I was concerned that removing the Otterbox screen protector would increase the frequency with which dust will gather inside the case (and I'm sure it will), but the fit on the front panel is tight enough that there isn't a giant hole where the screen protector used to be.

I'm a paramedic in a large city in Canada, and this case is just what I needed to keep my phone protected while at work.

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I was thinking about doing the same when I upgrade to the 5 because the OB SP is pretty weak IMO.

3. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

I tried this combo on my iphone 4, removing the built-in screen protector and everything. The hard plastic that makes direct contact with the iphone wound up scratching the glass and making indentations.

I've since switched to the combo that makes sense - the dualpro by incipio. SOFT silicone makes direct contact with your phone, and the hard plastic wraps around that.

It's idiotic to me why otterbox puts the hard plastic directly against the phone, slamming into it on impact, compared to the dualpro where the iphone is always touched by soft silicone.

4. bwsteg macrumors 6502

I did the same thing you did and the actual defender made a dent on all 4 corners of my screen, luckily I had the screen protector...

5. kevinliles macrumors newbie

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

OH! Did you guys do this on the iPhone 5? I was contemplating to do this because the screen protector is kind've annoying in the defender.

If you all did do it on the iPhone 5, can you post pics of how the set up looks? :)