OtterBox Defender Concern

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iammike1, Sep 1, 2010.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I love the protection the Defender offers but one thing about it concerns me about the actual level of protection.

What if the phone, in case, lands on one of the areas where the hard shell extends all the way to the exterior of the case? Wouldn't landing on one of those areas where the silicone has no effect increase the chance of damaging the phone?

Without the shock absorption of the silicone wouldn't this be the same as the phone hitting the ground in a hard shell case like the Incase Slider?

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, what are your thoughts?

2. palestofwhite macrumors newbie

Maybe you'll want to take a look at this video...

I was skeptical at first but after that test video and a few other great reviews, I ordered this case thinking it will suit me well. I think it just got delivered to my home today but I'm out at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes later...

3. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yup you should put it inside a big shoe box, then wrap that in a sweater

honestly what are you expecting people to reply with, the defender is already overkill in terms of protection

what you need is a tech21 iband

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4uMTZWh0Rc

they don't make one yet for the iphone 4 but has pretty good drop protection

4. Resist macrumors 68030

No case can provide 100% protection. But if you are that worried about it either purchase accident insurance or cover your iPhone in pillow foam with duct tape.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I've already dropped my iphone with case in my recycling bin from about waist height. The phone emerged with nary a scratch. Waist height is approximately the dropping distance you normally need to concern yourself with--unless you're prone to throwing your phone at walls or ride roller coasters without securing your iphone.