Otterbox Defender for iphone 3gs or Otterbox Commuter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nycboi, Dec 14, 2010.

1. nycboi macrumors newbie

So I recently dropped my iphone 3gs on concrete, and it was unprotected and the screen cracked along with the back. Fortunatley, the guy at the Apple store was a very cool guy and replaced my iphone 3gs free of charge seeing as the store was jam packed and i waited paitently for 2 hours. But i feel as if i definatley got lucky and if this were to happen again i would be paying big bucks for a new one, which is why i really want a good case. Ive heard great things about otterbox and am contemplating on getting the defender or commuter. I would really hate a bulky case seeing as the iphone is slim and sheek, and i feel like the defender takes away from that however provides amazing protection. while the commuter doesn't offer as much protection, it still keeps the phones slim and sheek profile. anyone who uses either one of these cases please give me feedback as to which one i should go for. thanks.

2. nycboi thread starter macrumors newbie

3. silvrbullet macrumors regular

I just got an Otterbox Defender for my 3G, and its pretty awesome! I needed something with a belt clip, and this case provides excellent protection. I got mine on amazon OEM for $13 with free shipping.

4. nycboi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply! i find amazon does have the best deals on cases. on the otterbox website, the defender is 49.95 and like you said, you can get it on amazon anywhere from $13-$25. Do you find it is very bulky, and do you use it for your everyday bumps and drops or do you use it for something that requires such a protective case?

5. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I used a Defender on my 3g for several months as an everyday case. Zero complaints on my end. I had the yellow and black one.

The only suggestion is to get an antiglare screen protector (not a crystal one) and put it on the phone first. Then install the Defender. This is to prevent watermarking on the screen.

I never used the clip but that case was awesome without it. Much better than the one for the iPhone 4.

Truthfully the 3g version of the commuter was way to loose in terms of the silicone for me. It kept getting stuck in my pocket and attracted a ton of lint. Oddly, the defender had a better silicone outer. Very tight fitting silicone and was not a dust magnet at all.

I never tried the Commuter TL but I would imagine it would be ever looser since it didn't cover the sides with plastic.

Side-note: For my iPhone 4 the Commuter is my favorite case that I keep coming back to. I use the Otterbox Impact, a Vapor and a couple other bumper style cases but prefer the Commuter as my all day, everyday case. Fits perfect.

6. silvrbullet macrumors regular

The defender is a little bulk, but not too bad. I work in a machine shop, so I wanted something that was really durable and protected the phone well. Once I found it for $13, I was sold!

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Otterbox is unbeatable period!

They are simply the very best at protecting your phone. I don't need one for work, but I do use one when I go hiking and mountain biking. Nothing is as rugged.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If you like the added bulk then go with the Defender, but if you're looking for less bulk still good protection then go with the Commuter IMO. Good luck.

9. nycboi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all of the helpful replies! i am really leaning away from the defender because i just love the sleekness of the iphone and the slimness and although the defender provides ultimate protection, it really takes away from what i initially love about the iphone. question. does anyone have any experience with the otterbox impact series? i really like how that case does a great job of adding protection while keeping the iphones slim profile. if anyone has used this case please let me know what you think of it!