Otterbox Defender for The 6

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jds4300, Oct 26, 2014.

1. jds4300, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

jds4300 macrumors member

Let me start by stating that this is my second attempt at purchasing this case for my 6. I purchased the first Defender around the 26th of Seotember. I immediately returned it because it was too wide by at least 2mm. My 6 literally slid around within the case. Sure, the buttons were harder to press and my Amazon Basics cable was rendered useless (too wide to fit with the case applied). Sure the provided screen protector was JUNK. I have always removed the screen protectors anyway. I have always used tempered glass. Well here it is October 26 and I repurchased a Defender, hoping Otterbox had addressed the size issue, and maybe made the charging port a bit wider. Yes, my 6 does fit a bit more snug, however the Defender is STILL TOO WIDE by at least a millimeter. To fix the issue I added a thin two by two piece of gauze to the inside of the case. Now my device sits firm enough and does not move at all within the case. My Amazon Basics cable still does not fit. The buttons are still somewhat hard to press. Again, oh well. Truth be told, Otterbox has created their worst Defender case ever for an iPhone. I am still keeping this case though. My device is VERY secure within the case. I have rock solid protection in my opinion. I've owned Defenders on every iPhone that I've owned and all phones have remained in immaculate condition from date of purchase to date of sale due to the protection the Defender provided. As for the Defender built for the 6, Otterbox has done a shoddy job (case is STILL a bit too wide, charging port too narrow). Would I recommend the Defender? HELL YES! Despite its shortcomings, I STILL feel that it offers the best protection out there. Just be prepared to use your own screen protector, expect buttons to be harder to press, use OEM charging cables, and if you are unhappy with the fit, add a wee bit of something to the inside of the case! Sorry about the length of this post! I AM NOT BIPOLAR!!!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Bocatrip macrumors member

Sorry to hear that Otterbox has still not addressed any of the issues. I wonder how long it will take them to make the revisions? I too am keeping my original defender (purchased October 2nd) until they make the changes. Where did you purchase your Otterbox Defender?

3. David MillerK macrumors newbie

Griffin Survivor Case for iPhone 6

Sorry to hear your experienced with Otterbox, you are not alone I have one also and they look like ***** with my iPhone 6 I decided to switch to Griffin Case the survivor and I am happy with the results.

I guess you might want to try this: Griffin Survivor Case

4. jds4300 thread starter macrumors member

5. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

How can you tell which revision you have? I have seen these at the store with a "4.7 screen" sticker on it, as well as a "iPhone 6" sticker. There were even some posts on the Otterbox site that said the phone was loose inside the hard plastic shell layer.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Griffin Survivor is crap ! Fuzzy screen protector that washes out the retina screen

7. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I had an iPhone 5 bend in a defender. The rubber always falls apart on them too. I had more than 10 of them because I thought they were so great. Never again. Otterbox defender sucks.

8. mixedup macrumors member

I have one of these which I'm guessing is one of the first version (bought from Best Buy -- labelled as for the New Iphone 4.7.

There is room in the plastic case, but only before attaching the front portion (i.e. if you set the phone in the 'back' piece, it appears there is some movement, but when the front is attached, it doesn't move at all).

The only criticisms I have are:

1) cutout in the plastic for the volume button is slightly off. I can still manage to turn the volume up and down.
    2) cutout in the back for the Apple logo doesn't line up perfectly with the phone's :apple:
    3) rubber cover for the headphone jack doesn't completely cover the port

With respect to the film on the touch ID, I didn't have a 5S with a Defender, so I can't say if it's better or worse.

Small problems -- I'm still relatively satisfied with the case.

9. jayf macrumors member

I call BS.

I work in a mine. i had one case. it was on my phone for over two years and is still in good condition. As is the phone it swore to protect. There are few on this board who use their phone is a more harsh environment. If you went through 10 cases, you must be using them as shoes.

The defender is a good case and Otterbox will sort out the issues.

10. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I didn't "go through" them. I just had different ones over the years for different phones and different colors etc. I know it's hard to believe and I could never figure out how it happened. But it bent at the volume buttons just how the new iPhones are bending. I only saw it when my power button started to fail and I took the case off to get the phone replaced. I played dumb but the genius noticed it and said "it's a good thing you're getting this replaced since its bent".

So anyway you can call BS all you want. I used to tell all my family and friends to buy otterbox defender cases. But after that I figure it really isn't a cure all for damage and it makes the phone HUGE. My 5s lived in a Spigen tough armor for a year and was like brand new when it came out. Even after riding my ATV all summer and using my phone as a flash light wrenching on my '67 Chevy. The case had never lost its shape either. It was scuffed on the back but that's it. A defender would have been all saggy and the screen would've been hard to see through the built in screen protector. Trust me the defender isn't as great as it seems. I'm not saying they're the worst cases or anything but there are better for the same or less $.

11. Bocatrip macrumors member

I paid all the money at Target......but I can return it months later. Best Buy unfortunately is rated by Consumer Reports as the worst customer service of any retailer. I returned a Bluetooth speaker last weak and stood on line for 45 minutes with one person in front of me. They also are fairly strict about returning too often.....more so than other retailers. The main reason I am not returning my defender at this time is that mine works fairly well even with all the hard to push buttons and screen with the play in it and the small charging port cover. Mine fits nicely in the case. I've heard too many stories about the phone moving within the case. I'll wait until the case in completely revised before returning the one I have.

12. RickG macrumors regular

I purchased the Otterbox Defender directly from Otterbox for my new iPhone 6. I have had an Otterbox on my last five iPhones and in my opinion this iPhone 6 version is by far the WORST defender ever made- my biggest complaint is the buttons don't work- it takes an incredible amount of force to make a button press, a huge design flaw indeed- the second big mistake is the size of the case- it is way too large- I sure hope they make a big redesign and address these two issue. On a side note, I think Best Buy is the worst place to by anything- they suck big time...

13. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Ugh, I hope they have these issues worked out with the Plus. With as long as it's taking to get the case out they better. I've been a huge Otterbox fan and usually chalk most issues up to people unkowingly buying a knockoff. that can't be the case with the 6 though.

I think they put out a batch of the 6's over the weekend and quickly sold out. That's probably a good thing, hopefully I'll get to read some reviews before ordering.

14. David MillerK macrumors newbie

I agree with you... still depends upon the usage of the phone and of course the type of activies that you do with your phone

15. Jzo macrumors regular

I have a Defender for my 6 Plus. Although it's a tad ugly and bulky, I love it. I removed the built in screen protector (I knew that going into it) and put my own on.

All the buttons/ports work fairly flawlessly actually. And it's a tight fit. The Amazon lightning cable, barely fits though.

The weird thing that bugs me is I have Applecare anyway, so really, I shouldn't have to put my phone in this tank.

16. ipos macrumors 6502a

17. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Just got mine today and just put it on.

Let me say that the build quality is awesome! It's a bit time consuming to get it on and off but I doubt ill remove it often. It's bulky but after spending 1100 on the phone this is the ultimate protection for it. I have no bubbling with the stock screen protector and have not noticed any less response from the screen. Touch id works flawless.

Yes the buttons are a bit harder to press on but nothing too extreme.

This is on the 6 plus