Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
If only you could realize how knockoffs stifle innovation and cause fewer products from ever being created in the first place.

I wouldn't go THAT far, but it does end up costing more to do business as original companies tend to have to keep paying lawyers to continually try shutting knockoffs down. Unfortunately it is a losing battle, shut 1 down, 3 open up.

Yeah it's always good to decide on wheter or not you should buy someting by buying a knockoff of what you want.:rolleyes:

I think he meant it is always a good idea to buy a knockoff, and base your decision on buying the genuine item off the shortcomings of that knockoff. It's like buying a fake Rolex and not buying a real one because the knockoff was 1 minute off per day :rolleyes:

This is awesome. OP, you rock. Your comments/retorts have truly cracked me up. And I'm not even sure you were trying to be funny on all of them :cool:

The rest of you guys - I suppose none of you have EVER purchased ANY store-brand and/or generic groceries or other consumer products, have you?

Here is the difference. When you buy a store bought brand, it is not an item made in some sweatshop with no regulations, quality control, or any desire for customer service. With Storebought brands, you are usually purchasing something made by the manufacturer, just putting the store label on instead. I know this is the case with bread for instance.

The bottom line is, a knockoff is a stolen idea. Imagine if you invent, design, test, market, manufacture, and sell an item. This all costs a lot of money and time. The idea is so good that some guy decides to reverse engineer what you made, and put out a cheaper version either slap your logo on his junk, or sell it as his own and charge a ridiculously low price with minimal profit. He is now selling it that cheap because he is not laying out the marketing dollars that you are, so he is baically riding the coat tails of your overhead. Nice eh?

Do what you want, I am not the morality police. If you couldn't find the real deal at much less than the $50 you didn't research enough.

Just remember, you get what you pay for, I would not pay $400 for my 64GB iPhone and cover it with some cheap knockoff with no warranty or company backing their product.

iz2sick

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Here is the difference. When you buy a store bought brand, it is not an item made in some sweatshop with no regulations, quality control, or any desire for customer service. With Storebought brands, you are usually purchasing something made by the manufacturer, just putting the store label on instead. I know this is the case with bread for instance.

The bottom line is, a knockoff is a stolen idea. Imagine if you invent, design, test, market, manufacture, and sell an item. This all costs a lot of money and time. The idea is so good that some guy decides to reverse engineer what you made, and put out a cheaper version either slap your logo on his junk, or sell it as his own and charge a ridiculously low price with minimal profit. He is now selling it that cheap because he is not laying out the marketing dollars that you are, so he is baically riding the coat tails of your overhead. Nice eh?

Do what you want, I am not the morality police. If you couldn't find the real deal at much less than the $50 you didn't research enough.

Just remember, you get what you pay for, I would not pay $400 for my 64GB iPhone and cover it with some cheap knockoff with no warranty or company backing their product.

You just stereotyped Chinese manufacturing. Those sweatshop conditions of the past are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Poor quality products are also becoming a thing of the past. What they still lack at the moment is quality control. Companies that get products manufactured in China do their own quality control inspections. I know this from my employer. We have a guy that goes to China regularly to inspect production. China isn't becoming an economic giant for no reason you know.

Also, their customer service has been excellent with other products. The biggest crutch for them though is the fact that they are across the ocean. Prompt returns and exchanges are practically impossible. The best route is for them to refund, but then we are talking a matter of $10.

I do agree that it's intellectual theft riding the coat tails of another company's success. But again, let's be realistic here... that's never going to stop.

If this were my brand, I'd be just as offended if someone copied my design, but sold it under another name. This is rampant in the industry and is another thing that won't stop.

So with that known, I would take a different approach. I would make sure I make my customers happy. I would make my brand better. That is the most I would be able to do to ensure that my brand gets supported.

Otterbox does the above so therefore this is one brand I won't buy a knock-off of. I also feel this particular knock-off is actually hurting Otterbox because the price difference is not that big. Someone that was ready to buy an Otterbox might see a quality knock-off and change their mind.

With all that said, I still won't knock consumers for buying these. It's their money and they pay taxes like me (unless they slang drugs lol). I will frown on them if they choose to buy a $1.00 Sunkist orange when they could have bought a $1.50 orange from a local farmer.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I ordered a Chinese knockoff of the otterbox defender case for my iPhone 4 and received it today. I had a real defender on my last iPhone. Honestly, $12 total vs $50+ is no contest. It's almost the same build and quality. I'm a bit tired of ordering plastic junk at premium prices just because it's for an apple product. Heck, it was probably made at the same factory as the real otterbox.

Did the same for an iPad dock. Works great and I got it in black. I'm sold on knockoffs.

People who buy knock off's aren't too bright.

Maybe when everyone wakes up working at Wal-mart they'll get it.

safarime

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011

Sorry i was not going to say anything but this post just begged for it...

So people that pay for the same product, made by the same people in the same country, and are paying at a 200% markup are smart? your are a roflsauce my friend.

After most if not all our manufacturing went over seas, "EVERYTHING" is a knock off.

So yeah companies that have their products made in a country where they accept lower payments to work with no benefits, deserve to have the same product made by the same people (which in fact have leaked out the blue prints and/or form factors out of these factories), sold at a lower price from within that country.

Have you looked at your $100/200/300 priced iPhone? look in the back at the small print and tell me where it was made?

Only difference is Apple has the strong arm ($$$) to shutdown a manufacturer over seas if they see a hint of funny business with their drawing/schematics.

So yes most of you are right, you do get what you paid for but in this day and age where everything is manufactured elsewhere, you are getting what you paid for only exception is who is getting your money and how much of it and calling you a sucker.

iz2sick

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011

People who make a sweeping assumption about an entire demographic of consumers based on a purchase of a $10 knock-off aren't too bright.

If you have something with more tact to bring to the table in favor of your view, let's hear it. Civil debates birth great information from all sides of the subject.

You just attacked the intelligence of an entire group of people based on practically nothing. Are you racist as well? It's the same type of mentality after all.

By the way, Wal-Mart is a prime example of an American company that got so much blind support that they were able to destroy local markets worldwide.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
You just stereotyped Chinese manufacturing. Those sweatshop conditions of the past are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Poor quality products are also becoming a thing of the past. What they still lack at the moment is quality control. Companies that get products manufactured in China do their own quality control inspections. I know this from my employer. We have a guy that goes to China regularly to inspect production. China isn't becoming an economic giant for no reason you know.

Also, their customer service has been excellent with other products. The biggest crutch for them though is the fact that they are across the ocean. Prompt returns and exchanges are practically impossible. The best route is for them to refund, but then we are talking a matter of $10.

I do agree that it's intellectual theft riding the coat tails of another company's success. But again, let's be realistic here... that's never going to stop.

If this were my brand, I'd be just as offended if someone copied my design, but sold it under another name. This is rampant in the industry and is another thing that won't stop.

So with that known, I would take a different approach. I would make sure I make my customers happy. I would make my brand better. That is the most I would be able to do to ensure that my brand gets supported.

Otterbox does the above so therefore this is one brand I won't buy a knock-off of. I also feel this particular knock-off is actually hurting Otterbox because the price difference is not that big. Someone that was ready to buy an Otterbox might see a quality knock-off and change their mind.

With all that said, I still won't knock consumers for buying these. It's their money and they pay taxes like me (unless they slang drugs lol). I will frown on them if they choose to buy a $1.00 Sunkist orange when they could have bought a $1.50 orange from a local farmer.

People who make a sweeping assumption about an entire demographic of consumers based on a purchase of a $10 knock-off aren't too bright.

If you have something with more tact to bring to the table in favor of your view, let's hear it. Civil debates birth great information from all sides of the subject.

You just attacked the intelligence of an entire group of people based on practically nothing. Are you racist as well? It's the same type of mentality after all.

By the way, Wal-Mart is a prime example of an American company that got so much blind support that they were able to destroy local markets worldwide.

You like pointing around that racist and stereotype finger all over the place I see :rolleyes: If you are THAT easily offended, I suggest you turn off your computer and TV, close your books, shut your eyes, put your fingers in your ears and repeat after me very loudly..... LALALALALALALALA Because that's all I see and hear when people throw that racism word around like their opinion means something to me. ;) You don't know me, and I don't know you....and I will be happy to keep it that way, don't you judge me as if you did know me.....got to love internet muscles. :eek:

If sweatshops were so prime and such great conditions to work in, what forces all the suicides every year if these situations are so awesome? It certainly couldn't be the Life Insurance these people aren't getting :confused: Also please keep in mind, owner of the mall kiosk that sells these knockoffs doesn't own the manufacturing facility that makes them There is usually no brand name on the blank plastic wrapping these items arrive in, and nothing stamped on them either. They are not interested in the customer in any way, they want the customers cash....period. Stealing is stealing, one can justify it all they want like the old man stealing razor blades in K-Mart, it is not justifiable and someone is losing money while other people have to pay for it. And you can't be selective about who it's ok to steal from and who it isn't.

Walmart got big as the internet was beginning to boom. A lot of these small mom and pops refused to adapt to opening their businesses to the broader online audience. They kept their prices high, kept the same business plan, and unfortunately couldn't stay afloat, this of course made Walmart evil.

iz2sick

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Since when did I call anyone racist? I wasn't even talking to you when I brought up that analogy. And I don't expect some that probably has never dealt with racism to brush it off the way you just did.

I suggest you look up the definition of stereotyping because that's exactly what Entalrg did.

Let's not use that cliche of "Internet muscle" or thug etc... Are you unable to debate without such petty insults? Or are you just trying to look Internet tough by making such remarks?

Your comment about mom and pop shops sticking to tradition is not true for the majority. I'm sure some do keep that business mentality. I hope you realize the type of resources required to run an Internet business. Rethink your logic here.

Reference your claim of suicides related to Chinese factories. Let's not pick and choose the obvious bad seeds either. I said conditions are improving and that's fact. China is becoming an economic powerhouse. That is fact.

No need to reference that on my part. Just google.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Since when did I call anyone racist?

I wasn't even talking to you when I brought up that analogy. And I don't expect some that probably has never dealt with racism to brush it off the way you just did.

I suggest you look up the definition of stereotyping because that's exactly what Entalrg did.

Let's not use that cliche of "Internet muscle" or thug etc... Are you unable to debate without such petty insults? Or are you just trying to look Internet tough by making such remarks?

Your comment about mom and pop shops sticking to tradition is not true for the majority. I'm sure some do keep that business mentality. I hope you realize the type of resources required to run an Internet business. Rethink your logic here.

Reference your claim of suicides related to Chinese factories. Let's not pick and choose the obvious bad seeds either. I said conditions are improving and that's fact. China is becoming an economic powerhouse. That is fact.

No need to reference that on my part. Just google.

I know too many people that are quickdraw on the racecard. You said this....you must be a racist. You said that, you are stereotyping, you thought this, thats what a racist thinks....blah blah blah I am an Italian from New Jersey, if you don't think that opens the door for plenty of jokes that could be easily taken as stereotyping and racism....and I take the jokes for what they are, and give them back as well. Internet muscles is using that race card which in itself could be easily viewed as bullying. Watch what you say at all times.....like I said blah blah blah You said the words, not me, I just take exception to them when they get used for anything that could remotely resemble racism, it gets sickening.

So 1 person told you sweatshops are not what they used to be and that means it is so? These suicide reports just started surfacing our media in March. These sweatshops that were highly publicized were of those making the Apple products we enjoy, not the low end seedy neighborhood slums. A couple years makes for a turnaround, a couple months makes for seeing a problem and gameplanning a solution. Apple, Lenovo, Sony, HP, etc require quality control for obvious reasons. I can pretty confidently say the small knockoff manufacturers are not, this is where the cheap cases piss people off if you read these forums. Also, my Otterbox was made in the USA, I am also pretty confident the people that made my Otterbox did not make the OP's knockoff. But I can say that knockoff can easily jeapardize the job of the guy that made my American made Otterbox if people keep justifying why its ok to buy cheap copy garbage.

And one more thing, China is not becoming an "Economic Powerhouse" because of cheap knockoff plastic copys. They are becoming an economic powerhouse because WE and many other countries keep borrowing money at ridiculously high interest rates. We also keep taking jobs away from Americans and shipping them overseas for tax breaks.

iz2sick

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
You misunderstood my post entirely. I was not pulling a race card. I was comparing the mentality to racism. One that judges a whole group of people based on ignorance.

Stereotyping is not racism. Get your definitions straight before you go on a "you pulled the race card" rant. Boohoo, you are Italian. Yea, I'm sure you get tons of racism. Come back to reality.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
You misunderstood my post entirely. I was not pulling a race card. I was comparing the mentality to racism. One that judges a whole group of people based on ignorance.

Stereotyping is not racism. Get your definitions straight before you go on a "you pulled the race card" rant. Boohoo, you are Italian. Yea, I'm sure you get tons of racism. Come back to reality.

I think it is you that misunderstood a post, I was not boohooing....I LAUGH about it because the stereotype to ME is funny. Now start talking about the Sopranos television series with my aunt and you will get a whole other conversation about the "NJ Italian" portrayals and mob jokes. All I am saying is in one post you are quoting my statement about stereotyping the sweatshops, and in another you made a similar comparison with the posters mindset and racism, which to me his statement and racism have the equivalent in common to Hank Williams comparing Obama to Hitler. Apples and oranges vs apples and oranges. The comparisons never should had been made, and you can't admit that maybe you shouldn't had said it.

Interestingly, you also never replied to American workers making Otterbox, shall I make a comparison you made to orange juice by American farmers vs foreigners? Is the company Otterbox less then? Are their employees not as important as the farm workers? Lemme guess.....you know someone that works on a farm?

HKUSP.40

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
This thread needs to be closed. The OP has yet to post pics or a link or anything actually showing his "equal quality" case, thus proving his point and justifying even starting this thread in the first place. For all we know, he could just be trolling and making this all up to get people all worked up. As it sits right now, this thread is pointless and serves absolutely ZERO purpose.

iz2sick

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
I think it is you that misunderstood a post, I was not boohooing....I LAUGH about it because the stereotype to ME is funny. Now start talking about the Sopranos television series with my aunt and you will get a whole other conversation about the "NJ Italian" portrayals and mob jokes. All I am saying is in one post you are quoting my statement about stereotyping the sweatshops, and in another you made a similar comparison with the posters mindset and racism, which to me his statement and racism have the equivalent in common to Hank Williams comparing Obama to Hitler. Apples and oranges vs apples and oranges. The comparisons never should had been made, and you can't admit that maybe you shouldn't had said it.

Interestingly, you also never replied to American workers making Otterbox, shall I make a comparison you made to orange juice by American farmers vs foreigners? Is the company Otterbox less then? Are their employees not as important as the farm workers? Lemme guess.....you know someone that works on a farm?

No, I was using racism as an analogy. To say people who buy knock-offs aren't bright and will wake up working in Wal-Mart is an insanely ignorant comment. It's a sweeping generalization just like racism. You see someone for one aspect, ie color of skin, and make a judgement call about their humanity. Tell me where my analogy fails in this aspect?

I'm not sayin anyone is racist. I'm comparing one extreme mentality with another.

I also didn't say anything about Otterbox because you and I are in agreement on that subject. Otterbox charges fair prices and has great us timer service and innovative products.

What I'm debating with you is your assumptions about the Chinese market and workplace. I am not judging Chinese factory conditions by a few. Tons of snowboards come out of China. Our iPhones come out of China. My employer sources products out of China. China was discussed in my college business courses.

I'm not talking out of my bottom. China is not what it used to be. It's not. Becoming a powerhouse just because they lend money. Where do you think this money came from in the first place? China has been manufacturing for decades and decades. They were bound to become more efficient at what they do. Sweat shops still exist undoubtedly. However, it is up to the company that employs these factories to ensure the working conditions are good. This is why Nike gets a lot of flack from people. They are notorious for allowing crappy conditions. Hopefully China's own government will get better and better at stopping sweatshop conditions.

So let's drop the racism subject. That was only meant as an analogy. I've dealt with plenty of real racism and I too hate the race card being played for stupid ish.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
$12 vs. $50 is not a legit argument given that the defender case is $21 at Amazon.

And the arguments above are never-ending, I really don't understand why people sit around all day and argue the same stuff over and over.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
@Iz2sick: Alls well that ends well. It sounds like we both agree on a lot, and disagreed on a little, in the grand scheme I think we both ultimately agree through different points on how we WANT things to be, just used different analogies and examples to get there. I apologize if it got a little out of control. Unfortunately sometimes my replies are wrapped with some emotion from a very rough day at work.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
This thread needs to be closed. The OP has yet to post pics or a link or anything actually showing his "equal quality" case, thus proving his point and justifying even starting this thread in the first place. For all we know, he could just be trolling and making this all up to get people all worked up. As it sits right now, this thread is pointless and serves absolutely ZERO purpose.

Agreed, plus this racism discussion is off topic.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.