Otterbox Defender=no av cables, no parrot hands free

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cdinca, Dec 28, 2009.

1. cdinca macrumors 6502

Got the Otterbox defender to go skiing. Case is great for protection, but has a major downside (besides the ugliness).

Apple av cable connectors are slightly larger than the standard sync cable.
    My Parrot hands-free system uses the same size connector as the apple av cables.

These simply will not fit while the defender is on. Very sad.

I'm sure apple gave these specs to the case manufacturers, as every other case I've tried fits fine.

I never intended for this to be my "all the time" case, but it still sucks.

2. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Either take it back and get a different case one or just suck it up. I love the protection it gives and can deal with any minor shortcomings.

3. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

While I agree they should have made it to fit, I can't imagine the number of iPhone users who use the AV cables is very high. The other thing you mentioned, I've never even heard of.

4. neonbright macrumors member

I would love to know more what you are talking about, I got my husband one several months ago, no complaints from him and he is very picky about his cases and phones. Plus, 4 other of my co-workers bought one and love this case no complaints.

5. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

You simply cannot plug in Apple's AV cables, and some other accessories with the case on.

6. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

the plugs are made to fit just the apple earbuds in the 3.5mm and only the default dock cable in the dock connector

7. neonbright macrumors member

I am still not sure what you are talking about, we have AV cable and hook them up to his iphone with the Outterbox Case on it. The only cable goes into the phone is the one that goes on the bottom, fits fine. :confused:

8. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the apple composite cables. They do not fit in the bottom of mine. But so close. So they fit in yours?

9. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    i'd say hit it (cable end) with a nail file, a little here, a little there!!
    might be all you need....

i wouldn't mess with the OB defender though.... love mine and love the protection....

10. neonbright macrumors member

Yes he has the apple composite cables.

11. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

get one of those "dock extender" cords.......

12. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

OP,

do you have the composite cable (red, yellow, white) or the component cable (red, blue, green & red, white)..... i was reading on the apple site that the component cable is the only cable the 3gs can use for some reason, the composite cable (r,y,w) won't work with the 3gs.....

i'll try to follow up with a link to the Q&A on the apple site for the component cable....
    edit, look at the 3 answer down: Q&A component cable don't know if this is true, component looks to have the same size dock connector so this one should work.....

13. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the composite, and it works fine on my 3G.

14. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, that person is just wrong.

15. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

ya i was just digin into some more info on apple.com and just figured that out... sorry about that...

found this though for others that want clarification on the diff with Composite Vs. Component Video Cable for future reference

16. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I just wrote about the OtterBox Defender, here:

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/2458/so-you-got-new-iphone-or-ipod-touch-now-protect-it

...and posted the photo on www.PlanetOtterBox.com! Look for Key West, FL! In addition to Key West, I've taken my OtterBox-protected iPhone to the Rock of Gibraltar, Canary Islands, the Island of Atlantis / Bahamas, etc.!

This might work... I haven't tried it though.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

17. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

do AV cables fit in yours? Neonbright has me thinking maybe I have an older version of the case or something.

18. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I used a Dremel power hand grinder to cut down the plastic edges of my plugs - - it took about three seconds and has worked like a charm ever since.

lemonademaker's nail file idea, or a small light woodworking file that you could get from Home Depot would be fine too, with less chance of damaging the plugs if you're not comfortable with the power tool.

19. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

it's amazing what you can do with the wife's nail file in a pinch when she's no looking!! ;)

i'd rather dull her nail file than my finely tuned woodworking tools!! :D

20. cdinca thread starter macrumors 6502

I found this.
    http://www.cablejive.com/dock-extender-cable
    the first question on the page is will it fit with otterbox. Ha.

Of course the answer is no, but I'd rather shave a little off of a $40 cable than my $50 AV cables and my $xxx hands-free system.

Anyone know of a dock extender cable that fits out of the box?

21. SuperKat macrumors regular

Griffin

My Griffin car adapter/charger doesn't fit with the Defender. I might try that filing thing...Can't hurt I guess.

22. SuperKat macrumors regular

Thanks!

Thank you so much for this tip! Can now continue to listen to iPhone in the car after filing down a bit of the sides on the Griffin iTrip.