Otterbox defender on sale @ amazon

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by vivithemage, Oct 15, 2012.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

2. jabij1 macrumors member

I personally never understood using those cases. Ruins the purpose of it being so sleek, thin, light, and well, beautiful.

3. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

If you work in a rugged environment, it definitely has it's purpose. I work in an office, so no need, but I know a lot of people love 'em.

4. iPhone Swag macrumors newbie

5. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Didn't know, some prefer to shop at Amazon too, prime!

6. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

For many, the functionality of their devices is more important that the physical appearance.

For many, they need to protect their devices due to the environment, which their devices are exposed to.

For many, the need to protect their devices is important.

For many, non of the above apply.

----------

Thanks for sharing. That's a good offer. I will order some to pass out at Xmas.

7. Jungle Jack macrumors member

Hello,
    This is the exact theory that I subscribe to. I have used Defenders on my past 4 phones and I simply cannot risk breaking my phones. In addition, it has helped immensely when it comes to resale. I just got $250 for the Motorola Photon I was using prior to the 64gb 5 I am now using.
    Cheers,
    JJ

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The best thing in the world! free 2 day shipping and $3.99 for next day if you order before 6:00pm.....not to mention free streaming service!

my GF's kid is 5, so I threw her ipod touch in an otterbox defender (absolute must!)

9. golfgrouch macrumors member

The margins on this product must be astronomical. :eek: I can't believe people continue to pay so much for cases. It probably costs less than $5 to manufacture them...

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I must agree with this. I purchased 2 cases for my i5 over the weekend that totaled $11.

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

First, there are manufacturing costs, and then there is other costs involved as well (development, advertising, etc).

Second, the customer service with Otterbox is very good - that is part of why the price is as high as it is.

Third, who knows how much amazon is actually making on it - could be selling it for a loss, for all we know.

12. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

13. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Not anymore?

14. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

still going for that price

15. orleanfyrfightr macrumors member

These will DAMAGE your iPhone if you get one that is loose! Otterbox has sent me a replacement, and it was loose as well. Dust and debris that finds its way into the case rubs as the phone moves due to a 1/16th of an inch lack in tolerance from top to bottom. It has scratched the glass on the bottom of my phone, I would stay far far away from these cases until otterbox fixes the design issue.

This is not limited to my particular case ( Camo, made in the USA ) I tried every single color combo at my local AT&T ( 10 or so ) and each one had the same issue ( some made in the USA, some made in Mexico).

I would avoid these!

16. raholland macrumors member

raholland

I had the same problem. I would say at the very least - do not order from ebay or anywhere else where returns would be a hassle.

Mine was loose. I emailed Otterbox . . . first thing they said was that this was a "known issue" and they could replace the case. Next email I got from them said . . .
    "Take it back to where you bought it. We can't help you." :eek:

17. jerbeck24 macrumors member

I have the OtterBox defender and mine is not loose at all. Must be it just depends on the individual case. What exactly do you mean by loose? Does your phone move around in it when you shook it? Very weird...

18. iPhone Swag macrumors newbie

Fa sho, was just sayin.

19. orleanfyrfightr macrumors member

Yep. I'd take the case apart and lay it in the back piece and see if it moves up and down. I was told they are thickening the foam to fix this, but as I pointed out and the customer service lady agreed that doesn't fix the problem. If you have a case with the thicker foam it can still happen just wont be as obvious. Can I ask what color you have and where it was made ? ( marked in the back inside of the plastic as well as the back inside of the silicone)