Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stupendusboi

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Hey! nicely done! i have couple of questions tho

1. On the website it shows a picture of the case witha hole on the back to show the apple logo. Is this protected by the case, or is this just a big hole?

2. How are the headphone and sync cable ports protected? And if they are, how easy are they to access.

3. How is the sleep/wake button protected? and if it is, how easy is it to access it?

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Hi, The hole in the back is the same material(membrane) that protects the screen, they put it there to showcase the apple logo.....it actually looks really nice. The plugs question are in the review...but just so you don't have to reread....they are part of the silicon case, they just have little tabs that pull out but are still attached on one side. the ports are easy to access, the only difference is holding the tab back while plugging in,

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
oh and question 3, the home button and sleep button are completely covered in silicon, but raised so you can see where to press. works great, just takes a little added pressure because you are actually pushing the raised silicon through the hole in the polycarbonate case to mash the button.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I've taken down my review pending resolution of the screen protector issue. The more I used mine the more apparent the difficulties reported were. My scrren protector actually worked fine but I can definitely see that if it were glued in to tight then it would effect useability. I am going to experiment on mine by not only removing the screen pretector but the whole lip surrounding it.

britton45

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I bought the iskin for the touch and i like it but, after reading your review I
ordered the otterbox. just wondering what your issues are on the screen
protector? Might send this back when I recieve it. tim

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Hi Tim, Most likely you will be very happy.....but there were a few reports of the membrane being glued in so tight that people were having issues pressing some icons on the sides....letters etc....I gave such a positive review I figured it might be better to take it down until this plays out. I will be looking to see if you are happy.....the only other issue I have noted after the review is that because the screen is recessed in side a lip, my fingers would not allow drawing to the edge of the screen with iphysics and etch a sketch....this may not be a very big deal for most but it bothered me enough to consider modifying it......

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
How about an update. I just ordered the Defender today because I will be taking it to the gym. I also ordered the armband.

Have you had any other problems besides the screen cover?

britton45

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I received the defender today it is on the ipod touch pretty easy putting it on.
When i received it there was sort of a sticky residue on the outside of the screen protector and was able to get it off with persistent rubbing. You do have to press the screen harder then normal. Only have had it a day and i am more pleased with this than the iskin touch. Will give more information with more use. Tim

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
I received the defender today it is on the ipod touch pretty easy putting it on.
When i received it there was sort of a sticky residue on the outside of the screen protector and was able to get it off with persistent rubbing. You do have to press the screen harder then normal. Only have had it a day and i am more pleased with this than the iskin touch. Will give more information with more use. Tim

Tim, please do.

My Otterbox is scheduled for a Friday delivery.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
yes,,,I am still very pleased with the defender, I did do some surgery on mine because I decided I did not want screen protection. I carefully used a dremmel tool to cut out the screen, now the polycarbonate is even with the silicone cover. looks great, not an easy procedure though, you have to really take your time doing this mod.

really the only reason I did it is because I really love iphysics and that program just works better with maximum sensitivity of the screen.

britton45

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I really like the case, it covers the whole ipod touch. The only draw back is the protective screen you do have to push harder then normal and around the edges it can sort of be hard to push the items on the screen. Maybe the screen protector will drop a little with use and be more sensitive to the touch.
I am pleased with this item and this will be on my ipod touch because it covers all of the ipod touch. Tim

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
yes,,,I am still very pleased with the defender, I did do some surgery on mine because I decided I did not want screen protection. I carefully used a dremmel tool to cut out the screen, now the polycarbonate is even with the silicone cover. looks great, not an easy procedure though, you have to really take your time doing this mod.

Could you post a pict of this or email it to me? Just in case.

mikelliott

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Scott, Please repost your review, I am thinking about the OutterBox. Their video does wonders, but I would love to see some more detail pictures. Do you like the belt clip? Any news on the screen protector issue?

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Scott, Please repost your review, I am thinking about the OutterBox. Their video does wonders, but I would love to see some more detail pictures. Do you like the belt clip? Any news on the screen protector issue?

What belt clip? I would love a belt clip. Please post a link.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida

Yes, the phone, not for the Touch. It does not have a belt clip. His review was on the Defender for the Touch. It probably is the same for the Phone, maybe.

Here is what I wrote in another thread and on another site after receiving the Defender:

The case is well made and fits perfectly around the Touch. It snaps together with clips on the side and top and bottom. On top of that you pull over, for lack of a better description, the outer silicon skin. It fits over the entire unit except for the screen. There are holders, for lack of a better term, on the sides and top that grip the silicon skin and keep it from moving.

The membrane over the screen is just a hair above it. So, you must tap the screen and it works just fine. I do not have any problems using it. Now, if you were trying to draw, I could foresee a problem.

Is your Touch protected? You bet. I used an iClear before this and although I like it, it was slippery at times and I tended to really grip the Touch. When handing it to someone I was a bit leery. You are not going to lose your grip with this covering. I have never seen anything like it. It grips, but can be wiped off, no lint, etc sticking to it. I'm impressed.

Is it worth $29? I think so. Will everyone like it, I don't think so, but I payed $400 for this and I use it all the time since it has been jailbroken and I tend to drop things at one time or another. Right now it is staying on the Touch. I might change my mind later, but right now I do not see anything I would replace it with.

Amended three days later:

The screen layer does float above the Touch. I used it for 3 days and you are right about the corners. I was not happy, however I liked the protection. Soooo, I took an xacto knife to the floating screen. I placed the top of the Defender on a cutting board and carefully scored it over and over, running the knife along one edge, it is a raised edge, which made this easy. Once it broke through, I started the opposite side, etc. It came out clean as can be, but being anal, I took an emery board to the cut sides until smooth as can be.

Now, still being anal, I placed an ExtremeMac Tuffshield on the Touch screen. It is like a glass coating, really. Now my screen is protected and so is my Touch.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So the Defender ships with an attached membrane that floats above the screen? Guess I would probably opt to cut it off to if that was the case... as it is, even the edges of the iClear sometimes affects typing around the edges of the keyboard...

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
On mine, I was able to pop out the screen protecting plastic layer without any muss or fuss.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
On mine, I was able to pop out the screen protecting plastic layer without any muss or fuss.

I was giving that a try and maybe if I had kept it together without the Touch inside it might have worked. I seemed to strain one side and with my luck I would have snapped it in half.

However, I could see how a heat gun could make this a very easy task.

As I said earlier, I put an XtremeMac Tuffshield on the Touch and put it back in the Defender and I have been very happy for over a week .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.