otterbox Defender vs Case Mate Phantom iphone 4s case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by perpetualdream, Apr 20, 2012.

1. perpetualdream macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am currently searching for a good looking and durable iphone 4s case. Which one do you recommend Otterbox Defender or Case Mate Phantom?

2. soccer2820 macrumors newbie

Well, a big difference between the two cases is that the Otterbox Defender has a built in screen shield and the Case Mate Phantom does not.

Personally, I have never used the Phantom so I can't comment on it but I do want to try it solely because it does not have a built in screen shield.

I have the Otterbox Defender (the latest 4S version), and I like it because it is a very protective. BUT, I am not a big fan of the built-in screen shield. The screen overlay is responsive (but not as responsive as other stand alone screen shields). It also affects screen clarity a little bit.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I have the Phantom, and I have friends who have the Otterbox Defender.

Personally, I prefer the Phantom for two reasons:

-Sleaker feeling. It tapers nicely on the back, and it helps to minimize the bulkiness.

-The entire outer shell is one piece, as opposed to the silicon fitted over the plastic shell like the Otterbox. It's personal preference but I like the all in one feel more.

4. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

Size wize what case would you compare the phantom to? I really want to get it. Someone has said that it is equivalent to the otterbox commuter, but to me it appears to be bigger.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I don't recall the last time I saw a Commuter case up close. I would say it is marginally smaller than the defender. But as I said, it feels less bulky, though it is a very thick case.

One nice thing about the Phantom is that the nature of the case really seals the phone well. I have taken it to beaches and on hikes, and I haven't had dirt or sand get inside the case yet.