Otterbox Defender vs Griffin Survivor for iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Anthony45654, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Anthony45654 macrumors newbie

I've had the iPhone 4S and the Otterbox Defender since November 2011. The case has become pretty worn down (stretched/warped/loose silicone, ripped pieces, scratches on screen protector, etc.) so I'm looking to buy either a Griffin Survivor or another Otterbox Defender. I'm just not sure which one would be better for protection and which one would last longer. At the moment, I don't really care about looks or style, I just want the case with better protection and longer lasting.

Also, I noticed that there are two types of Survivor cases on the Griffin website. There's the original case and the custom case. The two seem to be built differently and the silicone covers different areas. Out of these two which one provides more protection?

2. Anthony45654 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

To help you out I would watch a few youtube videos.

As for my opinion, the Survivor is bigger but gives a lot more protection. The Defender is now just a slightly more protective Candyshell since it leaves so many of the ports open for dirt and dust to get in. It is smaller too.

I haven't used the new Survivor but honestly I'm not a fan of the design. The older one seems to be more protective and keep more crap out of it.

If you are super rough on your phone the Survivor is the way to go though the clip it comes with isn't very good. I prefer it over the Defender even if the Defender holster is pretty awesome.

To fully answer your question the Survivor is the way to go for protection and it actually looks ok too even with its few flaws.