Otterbox + Dock Extender + Magellan Kit

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bear Hunter, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Alright, so I couldn't find a specific answer other than the Otterbox Defender would fit the Magellan Car Kit cradle...but would not power the device due to insufficient contact through the port.

So.... I know I can modify a "sendstation dock extender" to fit the Otterbox, then subsequently connect it to the car kit (if the car kit has enough adjustability in the arms).

My question to those who have the car kit is as follows:

1. How much adjustability are there in the Magellan car kit arms? The reason for this question is due to the fact that the sendstation dock extender is going to add to the overall length of the phone in otterbox case. As previously mentioned, I have read that the car kit can in fact "secure" the phone in an otterbox case, but do not know if it just barely fits or if there is enough adjustability to accomodate a little extra length.

I would like to know if there is enough adjustability in the arms to accomodate.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jelsoft Sux macrumors member

I don't think that extension will fit on the phone and in the cradle at the same time. When the kit's arms are fully extended it will only accommodate the phone and it's case.

3. Bear Hunter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Thanks for the reply,

So I take it that there is no more wiggle room in terms of the length of the arms on the cradle with an Otterbox Defender then.

I was hoping that the extension would seat itself over most of the connecter on the cradle.... then after the extension was modified, it would be mostly covered up by the port on the Otterbox case itself (seated over by the case itself)....adding maybe 1/8" or so to the overall length to the Otterbox case when docked in the Magellan cradle.

Have you tried docking an Otterbox Defender on there? Like you I suspect that it just fits without any more wiggle room (from watching youtube vids with phones and regular cases).

4. Bear Hunter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Confirmed...no room whatsoever to modify a dock extender. The car kit arms are at the limit just with the Otterbox Defender alone.

Looks like the new course of action is:

[​IMG]

Plus

[​IMG]

5. G Ranger macrumors newbie

Curious if the dock extender with the defender case was compatible with the Road Trip. Or if you had any other suggestions...