Otterbox Launches New Apple Watch Cases

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I have never understood the point of apple watch cases.
My thoughts exactly. Though I have never been a fan of cases on my iPhone either. I know Otterbox cases are designed for protection, but they are absolutely hideous, IMO.

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I wouldn't count on that- I've dropped my series 0 more times than I can count - including on tiles - and it's still chugging along fine. Thise iDevixes are more robust than you'd think - and getting better.
Absolutely. You won’t break the glass by dropping it. You can break it with a very, very strong hit, not a fall at 1G.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I have a bumper with the smallest possible profile, because I fall a lot (also the reason I bought the Watch—I have MS), and I didn’t want to crack the screen.

The first time I fell outside with it on, I got a scratch from the concrete. Luckily, it was right in the corner, and it’s small, but I knew it could easily happen again. Thus, the bumper, or case.

I hate how it looks, but I can’t afford to replace it if I break it, so it is what it is.

Edited to add: OTOH, I don’t use a case for my iPhone, and dread the day I would have to. We’re all different.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I suppose for those families where money isn't a concern, these cases are good to protect the Apple Watch when worn by younger children. They definitely look like large, bulky kids watches with these cases on. And colourful, too!

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
they can come in handy. I don’t have a case but I use my watch while weightlifting/ training. In those times while not too common. You can bang into something more easily than in normal day to day.

then you have other people that love walking close to walls

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Nice to see them jump into the Apple Watch Case market. Their name alone will help sell these. Definitely a plus for those who want a case. You can get these a little cheaper (19.95) via Apple's online store for those interested.
I purchased the black one myself this past Saturday. Love it!!! Which it has been out sooner.

Reactions: jmpstar and tkukoc

Bin Cook

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2018
I’ve had cases since got the Apple Watch, from toughness cases to purely atheistic looking cases.

I love multiple combos of cases & straps I’ve got.
View attachment 880588
- - Post merged: - -

Just to add to this, I have cases for my phone too.

a case for each scenario you could say.

⌚ 📱
Late capitalism thanks you for your loyalty.

Cass67

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
Absolutely. You won’t break the glass by dropping it. You can break it with a very, very strong hit, not a fall at 1G.
Course you can.. know someone who just the other day broke her S4 by dropping it on some tiles. Shattered the screen. Cost her 200 odd notes to go back to apple for repair. They sent a replacement.

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I bought a thin plastic cover for my Apple Watch series 2 when it was brand new. Used it a couple times and never again. I could see if maybe you’re upgrading yearly and want to sell but with over 2 years of no case the only damage my watch has it from where the metal adapters from my rockstar leatherworks band connect to it. A series 2 is has very little value now and the battery will eventually fail so what would I have kept it flawless for anyways? Phones are another story, can always sell them for a good return. Back when subsidies were a thing, my previous phones always paid for the latest and greatest

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
It makes the watch look like a toy. But I will get one for when I do yard work. I will be working with pavers and chunky stone blocks to reset a garden retaining wall in the spring. I had been taking my watch off to do that kind of work in the past. But I like the idea of keeping the watch on while I work so I can track my activity. I think Otter will put out a quality product. I wasn’t too impressed by the cheap solution I bought for my series 2 a few years ago.

That’s so ugly it hurts.
A Watch is to be flaunted, not hidden under a frightful case.
Yes but not a whole lot of flaunting goes on when you’re working at a task or a job that requires work gloves to begin with.

Reactions: jmpstar

Piplodocus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Anyone who doesn't ever see any point of a watch case can't lead a very exciting life!

Sure, on a daily basis I have no case and a nice leather strap, but if I'm mountain biking it gets the basic rubber Apple watch strap and some form of rubber johnny case to go on it. If it didn't the face would be scratched to hell and the crown buggered after a few decent crashes. And half the joy of an apple watch is going mountain biking with the option of no phone, and/or tracking fitness, following directions and being able to phone or have fall detection if I do stack it and fail to get up again. If my head, knees and elbows need protection, so does a relatively fragile £500+ watch. I'd never ride with a regular £500+ watch in case it got scratched or damaged and leave it at home, but half the point of these watches are for action and sporting use. But they're not gonna engineer them that fat and bullet-proof for general daily use; meetings at work don't normally tend to get quite that rowdy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyMom

NeonKingKong

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2008
Portland, OR
Where is the case for my car though.

Seriously, the other day I saw „condoms“ to put over your sneakers to keep them clean ... where will it end. personally, I rather put this money towards people in need, let’s say in Venezuela who’s citizens cannot even afford a roll of toilet paper that costs half a month salary and we r talking about a case for a watch here 🤦🏽‍♂️
Refreshing. Good point!

MikeVarney

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Unfortunately there's a sweet spot on the edge where the glass curves which is a little more sensitive. I shattered my watch glass after owning the watch not even 2 months, and I don't even remember hitting it against anything.

That being said, these things are really bulky. I have a thin cover on mine which adds just a thin layer of protection. Then again, Otterbox isn't really known for making slim cases.

Seriously, the other day I saw „condoms“ to put over your sneakers to keep them clean ... where will it end.
Actually furniture deliverers use them all the time. They get your delivery off the truck, put on the booties on the way in, and don't track mud and dirt all over your house. They then just throw them away when they get back outside.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Where is the case for my car though.

Seriously, the other day I saw „condoms“ to put over your sneakers to keep them clean ... where will it end. personally, I rather put this money towards people in need, let’s say in Venezuela who’s citizens cannot even afford a roll of toilet paper that costs half a month salary and we r talking about a case for a watch here 🤦🏽‍♂️
49658FC1-8A0F-4650-A089-E58552E42D9D.png

Funny that you say that. Yes, I even have a case for my car!!!! I wrap up my bumpers like a condom when I park here in New York City because people bump their way into spots and out.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I've seen one to many broken watches.
best part is that people try to resell them for as much as non cracked ones. People think it’s something minor, but they lose their waterproofing/water resistance. Also a watch isn’t like a phone and will be getting wet by something as minor as washing your hands.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
best part is that people try to resell them for as much as non cracked ones. People think it’s something minor, but they lose their waterproofing/water resistance. Also a watch isn’t like a phone and will be getting wet by something as minor as washing your hands.
I'm just curious when people stopped caring about taken care of a $300+ item.

Money must not be an issue in their life.