Otterbox - Lifeproof - Other options?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sha(on), Mar 19, 2012.

1. sha(on) macrumors newbie

Looking for a new case that can put up with my daily use while also providing protection from the kids and random drops. I like how thin the lifeproof is, but I dont know how it would work with daily use, I dont see a use for waterproof but using earphones and charging 2x a day I dont know if it is just a hassle. Any other options for this type of drop protection between these two? Or do I just go lifeproof?

2. ECUSnare macrumors regular

I have both the Defender (otterbox) and the Ballistic HC. Both are nice options. The defender is easier to take apart and change out (the Ballistic clips together on the sides and is a pain to remove) while the HC gives you the option of using the clip with or without the extra silicone layer. I like how both of them fit in my hand (I have larger than average hands and the iphone doesn't sit well in them naked or with a thin case) and both will give you REALLY good protection. The Ballistic (depending where you buy) is slightly cheaper (the defender usually retails for $50 and I picked up my ballistic for $40-it was actually an exchange for my commuter). I haven't tried the Lifeproof so I can't comment there, but if waterproof is a priority you should probably go that route.

3. mgeyster macrumors member

mgeyster

Your welcome to check out the line of cases I have to offer at baseonelabs. http://baseonelabs.com.

I currently have impactbands available and my newest line GunnerCase will be launching soon.:)

4. tygrubb macrumors regular

The LifeProof is not for everyone, as you can well see with the mixed reviews on the forum. It offers great go-any-where-do-anything protection, that comprehensiveness does come with a cost in both price tag and issues with use (see the numerous reviews around here).

For day to day usage—and this case is one you will use everyday, as the waterproofness depends on you not wearing out the o-ring by frequent openings—I like it and forget it is there and get on with my life.

Charging can be a non-issue or a but clumsy/annoying. There's no problem with the Apple OEM sync cable. For anything else—including the iPod adaptor cable in my car, for example—the RadTech (or similar) dock extender is necessary and does introduce some minor annoyance.

All in all, I like it and would recommend it for you, provided that you know what you're getting into and are willing to live with the tradeoffs that come with this level of protection.