Otterbox Reflex

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mrdm, Apr 16, 2011.

1. mrdm macrumors regular

Wow - what a great case. Does not add much bulk or weight and feels very solid. I was a little concerned that the seam in the middle would pull apart when I retrieved the phone from my jeans pocket....but...no problems at all. I purchased the all black and highly recommend this case. I think it offers the best protection to bulk ratio available :)

2. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Just found and purchased one on eBay for $27 and look forward to receiving it.

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Thanks for the quick review--I was also afraid it would come apart when I pull it out of my pocket. I have had sliders that did that in the past. Thinking the green/black might be a nice change from the rest of my black cases . . .

5. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

According to the YouTube reviews no it doesn't.

7. mrdm thread starter macrumors regular

The case comes with a screen protector but I don't like them so did not install. If it didn't fit I would think that they wouldn't include one in the package.

8. lansi23 macrumors member

has anyone tried this case with a screen protector?
    i am on the verge of ordering it, but just want to be sure that it will fit with a screen protector.

9. revcarte macrumors newbie

screen protector

I have installed the black/blue reflex and I use the Zagg screen protector and it works fine. Don't know if I can get used to it though. May have to go back to my Otterbox Defender.

10. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

11. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I had an Otterbox Commuter Screen Protector that I put on my phone and the Reflex destroyed it. Same with a PS Crystal. I ended up returning.

Nice case but like most sliders it doesn't work with screen shields very well at all. If nothing else it will bubble up as you put it on. Some people on youtube say it works but every video I've watched show it bubbling.

The Zagg the other guy has is probably the one that is cut smaller than the screen.

12. lansi23 macrumors member

hey, thanks for your reply. appreciate it.
    so is it fair to say that if the screen protector is smaller than the screen, then it should be fine? i have used PS before and i thought their cutting is just a tad smaller than the screen.

13. revcarte, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

revcarte macrumors newbie

zagg protector

Actually my Zagg screen protector is covering the full screen. I have had no problem but I have only had the Reflex on for 3 days. I am having trouble getting used to the feel of it. It is very slick and hard to hold onto compared to the Defender. Also.....(very Important) the charger in the car will not fit into the charging port without removing the bottom half of the case. And the bottom half of the case is very hard to remove. The apple charger in my house fits fine but the car charger will not fit. Something to consider before purchasing.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

You prefer the Defender over the Reflex?

15. rapaleeman, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

rapaleeman macrumors 6502

The PS that I had (Crystal) didn't work and it was installed perfectly. I had heard the anti-glare works if installed perfectly but I wasting anymore money or screen protectors on the case. I'm assuming the anti-glare works better since it is smooth and allows the case to slide, but again, I didn't try it.

As for the Zagg, it isn't cut perfectly to the screen. Even the full size ones. There is a slight gap on the sides if you align it correctly with the earpiece and the front side camera. It doesn't go all the way to the plastic frame around the screen. That is where the slide/guide rails on the case are.

In any event the case fits the phone really tight. Like the Incase Slider except it offered better drop protection. Personally I liked the feel, but for the price and the fact that it destroyed my screen protectors (which is a requirement for me) it is going back.

Great customer service though. Otterbox is a great company in all of my dealings. This case just needs a little more work for it to work for me.

16. revcarte macrumors newbie

Reflex vrs Defender

I think I do....I have tried the Reflex for about 3 days now and I think that I will switch back to the Defender case. It offers more protection, the car charger will fit in the bottom without sliding the case apart, and it has a good grip to it compared to the slick feel of the Reflex. I dropped my phone on my parking lot with the Defender on it and had no damage to the phone or the case. I met a woman where I work at Disney who told me she dropped her Iphone from the second floor of her apartment building and there was no damage at all to her phone or the Defender case she was using. I actually prefer the grip feel of the Defender I think. Hope this helps.

17. revcarte macrumors newbie

screen protector

I should point out that since I use the Zagg screen protector I punch out the built in protector on the Defender case. It can sometimes cause a bubbling effect so I just punch it out and then use the case.

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Look forward to comparing the 2 once I receive the Reflex.

19. revcarte macrumors newbie

bad news on reflex

Bad news....after pulling apart my reflex a couple of times I have noticed that it has ruined my Zagg screen shield. Has messed up the edges of the Zagg cover. I was just getting used to the feel of the reflex. Just wanted everyone to know that the person who said this would happen was exactly right. Sure am disappointed.

20. revcarte macrumors newbie

audio cable problem

Now I find out that my audio cable that I use to play my iphone through my car's sound system will not fit in the small hole in the Reflex. Anyone have any ideas on which audio cable will fit??

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm in agreement with revcarte now that the Defender is better. I could not get use to the fact that the phone had room to move around inside of the case and how easily the case could slide apart. Glad I didn't pay full retail because IMO it's definitely not worth $45 when you can get a Defender for $50 or even less @ Walmart & Amazon.

22. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I feel exactly the same way. I'm actually on my second Reflex now, and both have been horribly loose, the bottom half especially. It can come off completely when trying to pull it out of my pocket, and I'm sure that it could come off in a drop. It's easily the worst Otterbox case I've ever had, and I've had and reviewed a lot (currently have 7 Defenders, 3 Commuters, and 3 Impact series all for my iPhone 4). I've never been extremely negative about a case, but this is by far the most I've ever been disappointed in an Otterbox case. I was going to do a review with pics, but feel it wouldn't even be worth the time it took.

23. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Wow, too bad. I really like the concept of this design. I wonder if the candyshell Flip might be a better fit for me. Kind of similar for access and placement.

24. maniacphoner macrumors regular

When was this case released? Are there any cons to this case besides it isn't compatible with the screen protection film?

25. revcarte macrumors newbie

complaints

yes. a standard audio cable, which enables you to use the iphone in the car, will not fit in the audio hole in the case. also, some headphone jacks will not fit in the hole. It seems to me that somebody did not completely think this thing through before rushing it to market.