Otterbox Reflex

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by solarguy17, Oct 22, 2011.

1. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

There are alot threads dedicated to the Otterbox defender and the Otterbox commuter. But none or very unhelpful ones regarding the Otterbox Reflex.

For a general discription the Otterbox Reflex is a split case where the bottom separate from the top. Also there is no hole to show the Apple

Has anyone tried one of these?
    What do you think?

I kind of want to try it out becuase I don't like the commuter look but also want to know if it has the same hard plastic shell on it or if it is more rubberized.

Thanks

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's hard plastic. It's supposed to be a step up from the commuter in level of protection. Commuter->Reflex->Defender

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The Reflex is almost the exact same size as the Speck Pixelskin HD.

The back & corners are a combination of harder plastic and rubber fused together that is supposed to absorb shock on impact.

The fit is tight, and you can only use a front screen protector. Front + back films and the back krinkles up. There is some bubbling issues with front Crystal, but judicious insertion pressing the back of the case away from the phone can bypass this issue.

Two issues:

-- Top button actuation is more difficult than it should be, volume buttons not quite as difficult -- neither equals the Pixelskin HD.

-- The hole for the mute switch places the switch low in the hole, off center, just as the Pixelskin HD does. More aesthetic than anything, but I don't see why they don't center that up. :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Completely and utterly WRONG. It should read Reflex-->Commuter-->Defender.

5. BCurry1 macrumors member

I just ordered the Reflex for my 4S. I will post a review when it arrives on Wednesday.

6. solarguy17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is the different colored areas the different materials?

This has the L shaped section on each corner that is a different color then the rest of the back. If the majority of the back the plastic with the different colored section the colored?
    I wanted something that isn't as slick as the commuter which is all plastic except the corners.

Edit. Nm I retread you post. Thanks.

7. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Received my Reflex for the 4S in the mail today. I previously had the Speck PixelSkin HD. So far, I really like the Reflex. It adds hardly any weight to the phone, yet it is extremely durable and protective. After snapping the two parts of the case together, the phone seems very secure and it is relatively difficult to separate the two pieces. As someone else mentioned, the sleep/wake button is a little too difficult to press. Also, if you have a larger headphone jack, it may not fit with this case. Other than that, I'm very happy with my purchase.

8. BCurry1 macrumors member

What color did you get?

9. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Gunmetal. Looks very nice with black iPhone.

10. BCurry1 macrumors member

Good to know. I ordered the reflex in gunmetal on thursday. Can't wait for it to arrive.

11. solarguy17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it super tight like mentioned earlier so
    It would have to use a screen protector?

Also, did you try a commuter?
    I tried the commuters at the aTt store, you try one of those first?
    If so what made you choose the reflex instead?

12. lazybee macrumors member

So due to some creative ordering techniques (A.K.A screw-ups), I have both the new commuter and a reflex case on hand. The reflex is a decent case that has good protection when setting the iPhone face down. The plastic used does not pick up lint like the commuter - I know I have ready many times that it does not, but just a few minutes in hand and I'm already having to brush off crud -

The new commuter seems to use a stiffer silicone then the previous versions. but it is comfortable in the hand and easy to grip. Overall I would prefer the commuter. It tends to be slightly looser -- allowing screen protectors without any issues -- and it does have port covers that work very well. If you need to dock often the reflex might be better but as has been said, it is difficult to remove. The commuter is a bit looser, but takes some time to fit together properly.

13. solarguy17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

one last question. I noticed when trying out the commuter, the plastic back is still slightly slick, does the reflex has that kind of slickness also or is it less slippery.

Also, the commuter has the rubber on the inside of the plastic. Does the reflex have rubber inside the plastic along the edges? This would create a shock absorber effect if dropped.

EDIT - looking at the pics above, it looks as though it is just plastic....