Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adminaaah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
What's up everybody,

So I got an Otterbox Defender case and the silicon has been stretched out a lot from use over the period of time that I this one. Go today online to do a warranty claim and find out that Otterbox now charges a $6.99 service fee for the replacement "To expidite the shipping process". I know it's not that big of a fee but still... If I have a warranty I expect to not have to pay anything. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to give a heads up :p

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
In my opinion, that's not good service charging a replacement fee. My Otterbox, on my 3GS failed a few years ago and they replaced it without a fee. Things must have changed. Thanks for the heads up.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
That doesn't sound too pleasing.... If you have warranty they should be able to pay for the shipping and give you a new case. Maybe it was an international shipment? Luckily the cost wasn't too much. You can think that you are paying for another case but at a way cheaper price. :)

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
Just had my replacement stuff shipped out to me a few days ago and wasn't charged any service fee.

What was your issue? Just the silicone sleeve?

otterknowledge

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
There is indeed a $6.99 care and handling fee implemented as of 3/29/15. The process has been upgraded so newer models no longer require a photo as long as you have a valid serial number. Even sending photos for older models is easier because they don't all have to be reviewed by an agent, the automated system sees the photo and just sends the replacement.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
There is indeed a $6.99 care and handling fee implemented as of 3/29/15. The process has been upgraded so newer models no longer require a photo as long as you have a valid serial number. Even sending photos for older models is easier because they don't all have to be reviewed by an agent, the automated system sees the photo and just sends the replacement.

Really? So I could send a photo of my cat and the system might send me a replacement?

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Bummer! My 3rd Commuter has broken, all along the bottom. I had to send pix last time which was a pain as it wasn't happy about going back on again.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I don't use them anymore but this used to be a really good thing about their cases. Very disappointed to hear this news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.