Otterbox Statement Series - iPhone 7 - Black

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AWDV8TT, Oct 5, 2016.

1. AWDV8TT macrumors member

Scooped this case up today. I like it. Curious how the back will end up in 6 months. Keeps the jet black visible though and good protection w/o being bulky.

2. exchguy macrumors regular

Nice, other reviewers have said the rear plastic scratches easily so I am curious how the back will hold up. Also is the back truly clear or opaque? The Symmetry reviews said it's not really clear to show off JB finish.

3. AWDV8TT thread starter macrumors member

The back of the case is 100% clear. I can't speak to the scratches issue since it's a day or so old but I can say it attracts fingerprints more than the jet black phone. Harder to wipe off too. I posted on the jet black thread a 24 hour update on the case...posting it again below.

Cliffs notes: Great case but I'm not sure suited for the JB.

So, it's been 24 hours of using this case....I'm not sure about it w/ the jet black. I think it's better suited for any other color. Because the Jet Black is so glossy it enhances the glossly look to the plastic of the case. The two together are almost too reflective and you see EVERYTHING. The back of the case is fingerprint riddled and even a quick wipe on your shirt doesnt really take care of it. I needed to pull out my microfiber cloth to wipe clean.

Also, I spent the last two years w/ the Apple leather case for daily duty and the Thule case for weekend adventuring. This Otterbox is MUCH less bulky than their other models but it's still considerably wider and more bulky than the leather. It's probably a good middle of the road case for thickness if the leather or silicon are at the lower end of the spectrum and the mil spec at the high end.

The leather on the bottom of the case is a nice addition and overall the case does feel good in the hand. No issues w/ any chargers fitting in. I will say the sleep and volume buttons require some effort but again, the case is 24 hours old and maybe will break in. I also have some specs of pocket lint or whatever between the case and the phone already.

I installed this case on a silver phone and it looks MUCH better. I don't think it's doing what I wanted...I wanted the jet black to be a feature that wasn't covered up and while it does that.....it's detracting away from it.

Now, if you're deadset on a clear backed case the history of this case is undeniable and I wouldn't cross it off the list. I think any clear case w/ good protection is going to have the same issues. This case also looks mature and not so 'outdoorsy'. It's not bad by any means. Just maybe not what I hoped.