Otterbox = Sweet, Rugged iPhone case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by waywardsage, Feb 8, 2009.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I've had my Otterbox for a few weeks now and feel a duty to post my review.

It's great! It provides 360 degree protection that is unmatched by any other iPhone case. I work a job where I do some manual labor, pushing around heavy road cases and need something that will protect my iPhone from scratches, bumps and the ocassional fall. The Otterbox is the only case that I've found that can hold up under rough conditions and not impeed its functions.

The Pros:

1. Solid construction. Once, you see their video on their website, its easy to put on and off the belt clip.
    2. Screen protector built in! Most cases don't have screen protectors.
    3. Hard case and soft rubberized skin around it to help you grip it.
    4. The belt clip doubles as a stand to hold it up while watching content while seated. How cool is that!
    5. Durable. It holds up to punishment and protects your phone

Cons:
    1. The oil slick problem on the screen is still there despite my thorough cleaning of my iPhone before putting it inside the case. i think it has to do with the type of plastic on the screen cover. Only becomes inconvenient in bright sunlight outside in the middle of the day. Which isn't that big of a deal when you consider that even if you didn't have the screen protector on it, you'd still have problems seeing the iphone screen from glair outside anway.
    2. he port connecter is really recessed. This isn't a flaw, its just an unfortunate side effect of the amount of armor surrounding the iPhone. It doesn't impeed connecting your iphone syncing cable. Those fit fine. But any direct port connectors like those on a stereo dock won't work because the port is too recessed. I'm still looking for a port extender that is the same dimensions as the iphone cable.
    3. The silent switch is really recessed. Tough to get at to turn it on and off. a minor anoyance.
    4. The bulk. To me, honestly. i like a little bulk. The iphone naked is just too small for me to hold and talk on without getting hand cramps after a while. And, while doing the ole' hold the phone with your shoulder and talking into it without the case always felt wrong because of the thin dimensions of the iphone. With the case, it feels solid and i don't get hand cramps holding onto it. Some people comment to me, "wow, that case is huge!" and sorta tease me. Then, after a few moments of seeing how useful it is, they become respectful and even envious. And seriously, it doesn't make it that huge! We're not talking Nextel phone huge. It just adds a little thickness. Which, for the ultimate protection it provides, it's worth it in my eyes.

In summary, if your all about the looks, the Otterbox isn't for you. Go buy a fruity incase color case or something like that. But if you do REAL work anywhere outside of a plain office, and want to bring your high tech iPhone with you. The Otterbox is the top choice.

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Great review! I have heard great things about Otterbox, but they aren't the case for me. I'm all about slim and looks. :cool:

3. Resist macrumors 68030

Which OtterBox case are you talking about? If you are talking about the Defender case then yes I agree it is a good one. The oil slick can be removed by doing the baby powder trick.

The only thing I don't like about this case is that OtterBox states "The OtterBox for iPhone™ 3G Defender Series™ offers stylish and sophisticated protection in 3 layers", this is a lie. There aren't 3 layers of protection anywhere on the case, there are 2 layers for the body and 1 layer for the screen, Apple logo and camera lens. OtterBox is misrepresenting their product and don't seem to care, as I have email then numerous times about it.

4. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Yes, I am talking about the Defender case. What they mean by the 3rd layer is the belt holster. Which, when the phone is clicked into it properly, protects the screen when on the belt. So...thats probably the 3rd layer they're talking about.

What is the baby powder trick?

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Actually you are incorrect, that would still only be 2 layers on the screen. OtterBox emailed me and said the case itself had 3 layers of protection, not counting the holster. I say this is not what the statement "3 layers of protection" means to consumers. To us it means 3 layers on top of each other. They are trying to say it just has 3 barriers of protection that are not necessarily combined. I am calling a misrepresentation that could end up being a class action if they don't want to change that claim in the wording. Again, no part of the iPhone is protected by 3 layers. If however you put your iPhone in the hoster with the screen facing out, then most of the back of the phone would have 3 layers of protection, but that is it.

Here is a link about the baby power trick, http://www.iphonefirmware.com/2008/09/27/otterbox-screen-tip-and-trick/ .

Others have said you can also rub the oils of your hand over the screen prior to enclosing it in the iPhone and that works.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

First off I'm glad you found a case you like, but to me this is ugly as hell and makes it look like bar of soap. lol I'm sorry but a plastic shell, then a silicon case... maybe if your going to be some hiking, climbing or in the military.. but exactly how much abuse do you plan on doing to your phone?

I watched the video and it was like watching someone mummifying their iphone to be buried. It was rather entertaining though. I hate most cases out there and while I find the iPhone somewhat "slick" without a case I would much rather a sleeve or something I can remove it from then use and put it back in.

In reference to your number 5 "stands up to punishment" on your list.. has your phone been bad that you need to punish it? lol

7. iRob213 macrumors member

iRob213

I too have had the Defender for a couple of weeks. It is very rugged and I have not had any problems with it. The "oil slick" thing never went away until to today!

Unfortunately I scratched the Otterbox clear cover. I thought I saw that you can buy replacements, but I simply cut out the clear protective layer and installed a Televate screen protector back on the phone and reassembled the Otterbox.

Seems to work good so far, but we'll see!

8. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

7 Months out and the Otterbox is doing as fine as the day I bought it. For those that are interested. I never could have imagined that it would have worked this great!

Some impressions from people who see the case:

Sweet case!!

Most dolts complain about it being "too heavy". What? a few extra ounces (if that) equals too heavy? Especially since the Otterbox is like full plate armor for my iphone?

I work with a lot of heavy road cases at work where an undefended iPhone would be destroyed. For those who need SERIOUS protection. Don't even think twice.

GET AN OTTERBOX.

9. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    Thanks for the update! Perfect case for my 80% daily life..... I'll also get a slim one for the other 20%
    My defender will be here tomorrow (thursday) and my iphone will be here Friday! (finally!!)

10. newtomac1032 macrumors member

is there a large decrease in the ringer/Ipod for you due to the amount of protection?

11. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I haven't noticed a large decrease. Now I was only without the case for a week but the ringer is still plenty loud in my opinion. The only time I notice it is when driving with the phone in the belt clip. In this setup the speaker is aimed straight down into the truck seat and with road noise it can be hard to hear.