Otterbox Symmetry case for new Pros

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by BaddAdvice, Nov 16, 2018.

1. BaddAdvice macrumors regular

BaddAdvice

Taking a look at the Apple store app this morning and see that they’re now selling an Otterbox Symmetry case for the new Pros. Looks to connect magnetically like the new folios. I’m not seeing it on Otterbox’s site yet as it looks to only be available from Apple. Might help to sturdy up the iPad without adding too much bulk and looks to protect the Pencil as well. Interesting....

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMKL2ZM/A/otterbox-symmetry-series-360-case-for-129-inch-ipad-pro-3rd-generation?fnode=9a&fs=f=ipadpro_12_9_3&fh=4583%2B4a97

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it appears that the case wraps around the sides? I just may have to order to see for myself.

2. veryangrybirds macrumors regular

wow it looks promising! looks like this is the one i will be getting! protects the sides and accommodates the apple pencil

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

It has a clear back so likely snaps on like most iPhone cases do.

4. veryangrybirds macrumors regular

which is a good thing. dont have to rely on the magnets and this time can accommodate the pencil

5. BabyFu18 macrumors member

BabyFu18

Looks good, wish it came in more colors, hopefully they’ll expand the range if it becomes available on the otterbox site. This case does seem to be the best option I’ve seen thus far, glad to see something with better protection offered.

6. Oreon macrumors regular

Oreon

Think I’ll be ordering this, never owned an Otterbox before are they any good?

7. veryangrybirds macrumors regular

yes i have had otterbox before and they are great, i did place an order earlier. Thank you BaddAdvice for the post.

8. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors regular

BaddAdvice

Yeah, I ended up ordering one too. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

9. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502a

gatorknight904

I wonder if the pencil flap is just going to hang when the iPad is in view mode w/ the cover folded into a stand.

10. LxHunter Suspended

11. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502a

gatorknight904

That’s what I thought haha. I will have to pass on this one. That flap will drive me crazy.

12. veryangrybirds macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2018 ---
    lol I don't mind the flap actually ...

13. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors regular

BaddAdvice

14. vapourtrails macrumors regular

vapourtrails

Looks a tad ugly but obviously better protection than Apples case

15. jrs22 macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting the notice and the video. I have an otter box symmetry on my 9.7 pro which has an elastic loop for the pencil. I much prefer the flap.

I just ordered. It arrives Wednesday and then I’ll pack up the apple folio and send it back. I just can’t deal with putting this expensive device in a case w/o sides, especially given that my nickname is “butterfingers”.

16. gjr74, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018

gjr74 macrumors member

gjr74

I’m just not crazy about the silver/light gray edging around a space gray iPad. Wish the edges were clear or black. I do like the added protection it offers, and Otterbox is a trusted name for drop protection.

17. veryangrybirds macrumors regular

lol looks like my case is out for delivery today. i guess it helps if the item is located in southern california about 15 miles where i live. lol. ill give feedback to it later today.

18. gjr74 macrumors member

gjr74

Thanks, will look forward to hearing about it! I know the colors can be deceiving in some of the YouTube videos like the one posted above. It looks much better on the Apple site.

19. laurenr macrumors 6502a

laurenr

Would be interested to see your thoughts on the case. I'm note sure about that flap for closure. Might drive me crazy.

20. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors regular

BaddAdvice

Mine’s shipped - I should see it Tuesday or Wednesday. Would appreciate a brief review and maybe some pics when you get yours in hand, veryangrybirds!

21. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I’m going to stop by my local Apple Store and check this Otterbox out tomorrow. I’ll,take pics if they let me.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2018 ---
    On a mission from God Apple Fanboys :cool:

22. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

Thanks for linking that video! It gives great views of the new Otterbox case from different angles.

That flap would drive me nuts. It would be a bit intrusive being right on top of the screen when propped up for netflix viewing. Maybe there should be a reverse magnet so it can fold back and get tugged away behind the screen so you cant see it?

And that grey is like a pastel grey. Not a fan at all. A basic black would look better IMO.

Towards the end of the video, he also compares the weight of this new case vs Smart Folio/Smart Keyboard Folio with a random denim like sleeve, and tries on different charging cables.

23. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I'm not wild about the flap thing either. I wonder if it would break in and fall back better with use?

24. veryangrybirds macrumors regular

not sure why the UPS driver is taking his time to deliver my case. dont worry ill check out the “flap-gate” issue...

25. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

Please do you will save me a trip to the Apple Store tomorrow to test it out.