Otterbox Video Review: Hands-On With the Defender and Commuter Cases for iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Mar 16, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Otterbox is well known for offering some of the most protective iPhone cases on the market, and the company's offerings for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus don't seem to be any exception. We went hands-on with Otterbox's two most protective cases for Apple's new devices, the Defender and the Commuter.

As with all of Otterbox's rugged iPhone cases, more protection requires sacrificing the sleek, slim design of the iPhone. Both the Defender and the Commuter are bulky, but offer drop protection, dust protection, and screen protection. Check out our review to see the differences between the two cases.

Otterbox cases can be purchased from the Otterbox website. The Commuter for the iPhone 6 is priced at $39.90 and the iPhone 6 Plus version is priced at $49.90. The more protective Defender case for the iPhone 6 is priced at $59.50 and the iPhone 6 Plus version of the Defender is available for $69.90.

Article Link: Otterbox Video Review: Hands-On With the Defender and Commuter Cases for iPhone 6 Plus

2. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

Remember, MacRumors have stated they do not receive money from reviews. So this is not a sponsored ad. Moving on...

3. rajat8676 macrumors regular

4. godslabrat macrumors 6502

I bought one of the super-protective cases from redbubble for my iPhone 6. It rivals the OtterBox in ruggedness but isn't nearly as fat. I think that's where I'll be going for all my cases from now on.

5. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I'm confused. Did these cases just come out? Surely not since the phone has been out for almost six months. If the cases did not just come out, why did MR wait this long to do a hands-on?

6. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

I use a plain black Incipio case for my 6+, protective, but not a bulky piece of *****. I understand some people are too clumsy for anything else, but you've got to factor in the amount of pleasure and enjoyment taken away from using your sleek phone when encasing it in a rubber brick.

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

These cases did not just come out. Sounds like an ad.

8. Megaman macrumors member

Same here. I love my Spigen on my iPhone 6 plus. Still sleek and protects enough.

9. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

The reason I wanted a case is because the iPhone 6 is so slippery. I purchased a Commuter case and it works great except the hard case is in the outside and it's still sliding out my car's slots and sliding off flat surfaces and my hands.
    They need to coat the outside with a rubber film and it would be perfect.

10. rshanahan macrumors regular

Case has been out since day 1 (for iPhone 6). Reported on MULTIPLE web sites, including Otter's themselves, reviewers complained that it doesn't fit. I delayed my iphone6 upgrade until January waiting for them (Otter) to fix the issues, which they said were incorrect specifications supplied by Apple, yet they continued to sell the ill fitting iPhone 6 commuter. I have had commuters on my previous two phones (5 and 4s). This time, I wrapped my phone with another brand. :(

11. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

This. I bought one for my iPhone 6 which also didn't fit. Called Otterbox for a replacement, which they promptly sent. Unfortunately, it also didn't fit. While I've had great experiences with Otter products in the past with my Android phones, I think I'll stick with Spigen for my iPhone needs.

12. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I never really understood why people bought these. They're unnecessarily bulky and they're horrendously ugly. Offensively ugly. If you want protection, there are so many other choices out there that look better and are cheaper.

13. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

Because they protect well. That bulkiness is there for a reason.

14. oacory macrumors regular

I have the Otterbox Defender for the iPhone 6 (had it since day 1) and I will say that the cases are less bulky then the iPhone 4 and 5 cases. I was actually surprised.

I think they just released the iPhone 6 Plus case which is why this may be featured. I know I had alot of friends were complaining that Otterbox wasn't making a case for the Plus and really there was no good, protective case for them.

15. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

The bulk is there so they work, I got one of the Commuter ones for my 5s the day I bought it, still like new today 18 months later. Also I don't like how thin some phones have become, with the case on the 5s is so much easier to pick up, and you don't feel like you're about to drop it.

16. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

defending your clutziness, i see - stop playin', the thing is a monster ;)

i know of this thing called personal preference, and i abide by it... but i'll only accept construction workers/ physical laborers on this front. learn to take care of your phones lol

17. Mainsail macrumors 65816

Protection adds bulk....just the way it is.

If you want minimalist protection (scratches only), get a plastic shield or the Apple silicone case. Or, don't use any case at all.

If you want maximum protection (drops and falls), get a thick case like these from Otter Box.

If you want something in between, consider the Speck Candy Shell or the Otter Box Symmetry. These are dual material silicone and plastic cases that provide very good drop protection without adding as much bulk as the Defender and Commuter.

I have the Symmetry for my iPhone 6, and it has been a very good case.....not perfect....but solid.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

How about you look up logical fallacy, and then look back at your post here? Not everyone who uses a case is "clutzy" or is incapable of taking care of their phone.

19. GrumpyOldMac, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

GrumpyOldMac macrumors newbie

I used Otterbox cases for years. But the prices are really inflated for what they are. Last fall I bought an iBattz battery case that provides every bit as much protection as the Defender (I use my iPhone 5 under very rugged conditions, including hunting trips). But the iBattz also provides me with two full charges, and it has about the same bulk as the defender, for the same approximate price. I can even swap in spare batteries so it's great for an outdoorsman. It's worked flawlessly for six months and I'm done with Otter. IBattz even included a slimmer frame case that still holds the spare battery but adds little bulk.

Very happy with the switch.

Edited to add that I like a bulkier phone anyway! I don't get the slim obsession. I like to be able to grip it, use it in bad weather, and treat it roughly. My two year old iPhone 5 hasn't got a scratch on it. And yeah, I'm not clumsy. I just can't get into having a fragile phone. I work outdoors and in grungy conditions. Maybe those touting slimness and calling heavy case users clumsy need to get a real job. Just teasing.

20. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

I don't get it either. Jony Ive must throw up when he sees his beautiful design in such a monstrosity.