ouch! burn! (Sirius)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by trevorlsciact, Nov 20, 2007.

1. trevorlsciact macrumors regular

Anyone seen the sirius ad, with all the iPods, basically calling them obsolete? I found it amusing! :D

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I really hope the XM/Sirius merger goes through cause I would seriously consider buying one.:)

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Last year I was going to buy an XM radio for my car, but the only one Wal-Mart had in stock was the XM 2 Go, which you couldn't even connect to your cars stereo!

When I got my new car it came with an audio in jack, therefore rendering satellite radio obsolete in my book :D

4. trevorlsciact thread starter macrumors regular

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see how. You can't get live sports off of an iPod. I think Sat radio is here to stay as long as both companies can merge together.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I completely agree. I like satellite radio because they play great music that I DON'T have sorted by genre and isn't the same crap they play over and over on FM radio.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the best thing about Sat radio is the sports coverage. When the prices come down and the hardware gets a lot better I will get one. The iPod is not a threat to Sat radio as they are 2 different animals. Live content good variety of music.

8. xxstatic macrumors member

Kind of a ??? commercial... radio has been around a long time and has not taken away the market of personal listening devices, shared it yes but I don't see it taking anything over imo. I for one had xm I found I didn't use it enough to justify the money spent.
    I found the funny thing that all of the "formats" they portrayed I had owned/used in my lifetime, It has been a great time to grow up if your into technology.:cool:

9. trevorlsciact thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I know, and that kinda makes the ad pointless. but you just know if they did compeat directly than the iPod would win. but they don't, it compeats with am/fm and hd radio.

10. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Funny thing about HD radio, I have yet to see a working demo unit in any store, and have thus far only ever seen 1 demo unit in a store but it wasn't working (no power). I hear plenty of ads for it on FM radio, but it seems like no major stores (Best Buy, Fry's, Target, Wal-Mart) are carrying it?

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I think you're confusing HD Radio with Satilitte (i can't spell) Radio.

I hope the merger doesnt go through, I can't stand XM radio. It would have to be completely sirius like if i were going to buy one.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have been an XM subscriber for three years now. At one time I had 5 subs at the same time, my cars OEM XM, 2 Pioneer Innos and 2 MyFis.

I never could get enough XM, till I got my iPhone. My 160GB Classic came in September and it seems like I rarely listen to XM anymore. Why? Because I don't get all the song repeats and I can hear what I WANT to hear when I WANT to hear it. The repeats on Sirius are even worse. Sure the XM/Sirius portables can record whole songs from beginning to end but the memory on them are limited and therefore, the recorded content limited. Sound quality is also 100 times better on the iPod. XM/Sirius have so many channles that the bandwidth is stretched so thin so the sound quality suffers.

I still have three XM subs active. I am seriously thinking about cutting two of them and just leaving my cars sub active. I still turn it on occasionally and it does have a use for discovering new music. Half my iPod is full of stuff I heard on XM.

13. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Oh lord the songs repeat like CRAZY on Sirius. You seriously hear the same song every hour--which can get old after a few days.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The reason why Satellite radio is worried about iPods is because so many more people are buying iPods than are buying satellite radios. Another big factor is that car manufacturers have announced that they are including iPod docks in their new model vehicles. Sure they are still including satellite radio as standard equipment and in others, an available option, I would opt for the iPod dock over the satellite radio if I had to only get one but would prefer both.

As I said in my other post here, I have both in my car and listen to my iPod 99% of the time over the XM.