Ouch... dropped my phone. Opinons?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by theuserjohnny, Feb 27, 2013.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Dropped my Galaxy S3 yesterday and to no surprise a shattered screen. Unfortunately did not get warranty on the phone as I typically am careful with my items but obviously life happened.

Now I'm still under contract for another year (maybe 2 don't remember) so it's not like I have the situation of just upgrading.

Good news is that the phone still functions and only the front camera area of the phone is completely shattered. The rest of the phone has hairline scratches (not noticeable during usage).

Now for some reason when I honestly could careless that the screen is shattered because it is still functioning and the fact that cell phones change by year but that hasn't prevented me from looking at a few options.

Option 1: Replace the glass myself
    I've seen some tutorials in which people have just replaced the glass portion of the phone. The parts are on ebay for roughly 20 bucks. The only thing I'm worried about is ruining the touch connection for the bottom buttons that would end up just making the phone unusable.

Option 2: Get a new phone
    I've considered maybe just saving up for the next few months and getting an unlocked phone via eBay. Maybe I can just wait for the new rumored Galaxy S4 or maybe get the upcoming iPhone5s. Or if anything when those get released just get the S3 again or an iPhone 5 at a cheaper price (hopefully) and wait out this contract and get whatever new phone is out then.

2. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

I replaced nexus 4 screen couple of days ago (whole thing) and with no previous experience with touchscreens and sealed phones, just watched a video and everything went smooth :) il say that if your not afraid of opening things etc go for it, the feeling is always great !

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Option 1 = $20

Option 2 = $300 ( second hand / new phone )

--------

Could you not do Option 1 anyway and if it fails do Option 2

Alternatively make Option 2 into Option 3 and replace Option 2 with

Option 2 = give the phone to a repair shop to replace screen. Which will cost maybe, $50-100 but save you the hassle of repairing yourself and still be a third less the cost of buying a new / secondhand device.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Fix the phone for $20 and use it, then sell it when the S4 or 5S comes out? This sounds pretty straightforward.

5. technowar macrumors 6502

If you are afraid and/or not so sure about yourself, go for option 3: bring it to a repair shop.

6. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I'm all thumbs so would take it to a repair shop. :)

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

The S3 is so popular that getting someone else to put a new screen on there shouldn't be hard. I see people here in Boston advertising for like under $100. go that route.

8. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

How much is the parts?

9. bearboy macrumors member

I went through the same thing, about 5 months before I was eligible for an upgrade I dropped my HTC Evo 4G and cracked the screen. It worked fine, but it looked pretty ugly, but I stuck it out until my upgrade.

Check out some local phone shops. Here in Chicago there are several places that repair screens for a decent price (usually under a $100.00 dollars) and get them done while you wait.

I've even seen these services advertised on Groupon.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Check out those stands in the mall. They usually are cheap.

11. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

The whole thing was 100usd + 10 shipping, OEM.