Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minnus

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
guess Apple taking a loss when replacing battery so design moves forward.

Guess you didn't read the article - it costs $500 to 3rd party because they would need to replace the "entire upper case assembly along with the battery". It isn't $500 for the battery, but the battery and upper case assembly.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
article said it could cost 500 if the technicians follow apple standards. the word "could" means "could" be cheaper than 500. by the way, the battery on my 5 year old dell is still going strong because ive taken care to charge and discharge it properly, as well as treating it properly and storing it properly. Also the Single biggest point of failure in laptop batteries is user inflicted damage. I personally dont EVER want to open this thing for any reason. ive read horror stories about people causing catastrophic failures from digging around in their systems (dropped screws, nicking trackpad connectors with screwdrivers, scratching motherboards, sweat dropping on components, etc) and oddly most of it turns into "apple better replace this for me or ill never be a customer again!"

everyones so dramatic about this ifixit teardown article. Im sure in two years when every laptop is built this way nobody will be freaking out about all this. nobody seems to care about what happens if any other part of a motherboard blows on any other laptop, 90 percent of any laptop is not servicable by users and has just as much a chance of going bad. soldered ram for example is no more likely to blow than a transistor or the cpu, so why all the dramatics about it being soldered in? i dont get it. ive never seen soldered ram go bad, or any high quality slotted ram for that matter. ive seen people go into the 5 year mark and just buy a whole new system before anything blows..

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I recently gave my original MBA away, it still works great and has original batt in it, working at 90% capacity. 54 months, no issues. If the next round of laptops hold up like that, who cares what a batt replacement costs? But why *would* anyone go the third party route?!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I recently gave my original MBA away, it still works great and has original batt in it, working at 90% capacity. 54 months, no issues. If the next round of laptops hold up like that, who cares what a batt replacement costs? But why *would* anyone go the third party route?!

I really don't know why. One of the great mysteries that can be found inside MacRumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.