Ouch - my first iPhone bill

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doug.hall, Dec 10, 2007.

1. doug.hall macrumors regular

Just got my first months iPhone bill and to be honest I was expecting it to be a little more than the £55 monthly fee but I was not expecting over £85:eek: And one of the main reasosn for the increase was a 1 hour call to apple for iPhone support at a cost of £15 :mad:

Is this another case of ripe off britain?

Just called O2 and they have removed the calls from my bill which is a result :) but I'm not overly impressed with the charging rates of the tariff.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If by ripe you mean rip no. You had to have exceeded your minutes and based on your 60 minute call to Apple I'd presume that's where they got you. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be when I opened the thread.

It is awesome that O2 removed the calls from your bill but this is the point where I hope you blame the tariff less and spend more time being responsible. It won't be every month that O2 will remove calls that you legitimately made on your phone. Do you have a landline? For 60 minute calls to Apple you may want to use a landline.

I'm certainly not trying to sound harsh. My bill was $40 more one month due to excessive text messages. I had thought I was on the unlimited plan on another phone but it was removed by the other person on my bill. I got dinged again when I started making a move towards splitting the bill. Something got confused and my rollover minutes were removed. I had thought I was clever and forwarded my cell to my home and 1400 minutes later (talking to virtually the same person I was texting) I had a very large bill. One was their mistake the other was mine. I paid for the texts, not the minutes. It reminded me to be more responsible and stop thinking I am clever when I forward my cell to my home because the minutes still rack up.

I'm also convinced that in the history of cell phone ownership most of us have all had this surprising little bill smack us in the face long before the iPhone even came out. It's kind of the way of the world I think.

3. doug.hall thread starter macrumors regular

Fair points however I was well within my free minute allowance (only used 400 of the 1200 available).

For some reason I would have thought that calls to a support line given to me for the iPhone would be included in the free minutes or excluded but free. i guess I should have checked this first.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I wish people would stop using this kind of tabloid speak.

Is it the 0870/0845 style numbers that upped the bill then?

5. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

It is free. O2's iPhone support line (which also includes technical support) is free on 2302 from your iPhone.

6. doug.hall thread starter macrumors regular

It was the apple line where I was caught out. Anyway O2 have sorted it so it's not a problem. However I am still a little surprised that the cost was so high. From everyones replies it doesn't look like anyone else is so I'll shut up.;)

7. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Hear, hear ! I'm waiting for my bill from Base to drop in the mailbox. I'm running a hacked iphone and for 5 euros, I have 10 MB of edge data every month. That seems to be sufficient to check stocks, mail and weather. No heavy surfing though.

Unfortunately I did not verify the settings on the mobile rss reader I installed on my iphone. It was set to update every 5 minutes. Ouch.

After two days I checked my usage and I have to pay 25 euros extra :eek:
    If this happens a lot I'll have to go to the next level of the data program, it'll be cheaper in the end..;

8. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

:p
    i'm not using a iphone, but as a kid i had a 88€ bill, after texting from foreign countries alot and also in belgium alot, i now stepped over too jim and everytime i reload 10€ or more i get 2008 free text-messages to jim and base!! and all my text-messages go to jim or base, so that's pretty good :p but in your case, base is not really a good provider for data things, do you even have good connection?

9. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Is Apple support a freephone 0800 number? If so, they aren't free from any mobile. Which is a bit of a rip-off, but just use your landline in future.

10. rayward macrumors 65816

I am shocked. I am sure that this is the first instance ever of anyone receiving a bill on a new cell phone contract that was higher than expected. Someone should alert the media!

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im still not sure why the 0800/0845/0870 number is no longer part of the inclusive minutes. Its one of the most common number formats in the country. Just another way to rip us off. Bastards.

12. afd macrumors 6502a

Non-geographic numbers that start with 0845 and 0870 are a rip-off in the UK. Calling them from a land-line isn't any good because they are never included in any bundles or any of these free after 6pm or weekend deals. O2 used to include them in their inclusive minutes but they stopped that quite recently. In the past I always called them from my mobile as I didn't like being charged for them.
    I do think apple or o2's iPhone support should be free from an iphone though.

13. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Sure I have a good data connection - I'm really happy with EDGE when I use it. From what I read Proximus has Edge but only very limited, most of their coverage is GPRS. Mobistar I'm not sure about. Gprs sucks completely.

And base has the cheapest data plan - 5 euros for 10 MB or 25 for one GB. I just wish there was a 10 euro plan for 100MB - that would cover my needs very well !

14. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

wow!! i didn't know base had such a good Edge connection..

15. stekerrod macrumors regular

im on the £45 o2 iPhone tariff and i didnt go over the inclusive mins/texts/data so mines only £45! only used 417 mins and 386 texts so was quite abit under!

16. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I had to pay for 2 months £45, for the last month, and from now on 1 month in advance. I was an O2 customer before, guess that's why...