Ouch, should I take the plunge? Nvidia cards are making me doubt...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. DDar macrumors 6502

    DDar

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    #1
    Well, I've heard alot of bad things regarding the Nvidia cards... About how they're all defective, and your MBP is guaranteed to fail. Now, I live in Mexico, so getting an MBP fixed is not as easy as taking it to the store and having them tinker with it. I'd have to call apple care and ship it off and all that junk...
    And since I just spent all my summer money I won't be able to get applecare anytime soon.. (though, I DO plan on getting it...)

    Now, I WANT to wait for the new update... But unfortunately, due to the fact that no one knows when or whether or not the MBPs will be updates (and worse, when they'll be available for retail at stores here in Mexico) makes that somewhat hard... Seeing as I NEED this laptop for my AP art portfolio this year. =S (It's my last year to submit it, and I REALLY want to...)

    So yeah, should I get an MBP? Are all the Nvidia cards REALLY defective? Has anyone had one for a long time without trouble or problems?

    (Btw, I'd be getting a 17'' with the matte widescreen HD display.)
     
  2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #2
    Definitely wait! Apple is going to update it's entire notebook line up in September. They will probably switch out the Nvidia cards for ATI ones anyway.
     
  3. Muncher macrumors 65816

    Muncher

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #3
    Well, we never know for sure, but the update will probably happen soon. I hope they continue with Nvidia, but after seeing the 2600 beat an 8800 in Pro apps, I see an ATI card base with an option for a 9800, or something along those lines.
     
  4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

    DDar

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    #4
    That probably is the big thing I'm afraid of. =(

    Heck, for all we know, it could be released this Holiday season, then I'd have to rush my portfolio! Or worse! Along with Snow Leapord!

    God, I hate the waiting game. T_T
    Apple could at LEAST tell us when to expect it... Why don't they tell us?! Dx
     
  5. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

    DDar

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    #5
    BUMP!

    Anybody with a Macbook Pro that hasn't failed that can settle my worries?
     
  6. kabunaru Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #6
    Do not get current MacBook Pros and I hope Apple never uses nVidia cards again.
     
  7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

    winninganthem

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2008
    #7
    Seeing as how you're concerned about having enough saved up, wait awhile for the next release. You'll have enough money saved up by the time Apple comes out with a MacBook Pro refresh.

    Besides, your AP Art portfolio isn't due until next year, so chill, nothing to stress about ;)

    The only graphics issue I have with my MBP is that if it is left on for awhile, Flash videos have this white flicker. If I reset it, the problem goes away for a good number of hours.

    It's not really a deal breaker, just a minor nuisance. I'm not sure if this has to do with the nVidia chip, but whatever. If you do decide to still buy now, you'll still get a good machine. Just realize that there is no computer out there on the market without flaws. Just depends on which flaws you're willing to deal with.

    So yeah, outside of Flash videos occasionally, I can run professional apps on my MBP without any hinderances.
     
  8. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

    DDar

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    #8
    I live in Mexico, I have to submit it a few months earlier than U.S. citizens would due to postage travel time.
    Also, I'm taking AP Calculus, English Literature and various other tough courses this year... So, I WOULD like to start cracking on it, you know? :p
     
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #9
    Funny this is people were saying the same thing when the iMac was suffering from the crashing ATI cards. :p

    Guess that would leave people with only buying machines with Intel integrated GPUs.
     
  10. theLimit macrumors 6502a

    theLimit

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2007
    Location:
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    #10
    Mine is doing fine. I bought it in February as soon as they were released. I boot into Windows and game daily, playing Neverwinter Nights 2, F.E.A.R., Guild Wars, Oblivion, The Orange Box, Command & Conquer 3. I've never encountered a single problem. I'm trying not to let the statements about faulty video cards get to me. If I hadn't read about it, I wouldn't even know to worry.
     
  11. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #11
    There is a lot of misinformation going around this thread. To clear some of it up:

    There is nothing to suggest that there will be a graphics card upgrade for the MBP. It's never happened before, because Apple doesn't use cards with high power consumption.

    There are hundreds of thousands of MBP's that have not failed. It has been suggested that a higher than normal percentage of GPU's have been defective because of a manufacturing glitch that has always existed. Naturally, 100% is simply a sensationalist interpretation. This is not to say however that the problem does not exist.

    More sensational statements! I hope Apple goes with whatever GPU's are more powerful and capable. At this point since the 3600 is the 2600 with DX10.1 and not much else, the 9600 would be preferred as it is a marked improvement over the 8600.

    Both Nvidia and ATI have made excellent cards. The 8 series from Nvidia was a mile ahead of it's own 7 series and the ATI X1000 series. Both Nvidia and ATI have made bum cards too, like the Nvidia 5 series and the ATI 2000 series.

    Neither vendor is immune to bad design, always keep this in mind.
     
  12. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

    DDar

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    #12

    Should I take this as a "MBPs are solid, but not immune to problems like almost every other electronic device"? =)
     
  13. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
  14. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #14
    Bingo.
     
  15. Muncher macrumors 65816

    Muncher

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #15
    What do you mean - that they've never upgraded the video cards in the Macbook Pros before? But they did upgrade, from the x1600. I think it is likely that apple will put a mobile low power ATI card (like the 2600 xt mobile in the imac, but maybe a newer generation) as a base card, and a 9600 is likely as a BTO option. Apple knows that with Boot Camp, some people will do some gaming on their macs, and Nvidia is better for gaming. On the flip side, professionals using Aperture and other pro apps benefit from the ATI chips more than Nvidia chips.

    I completely agree. Besides, any new Macbook Pro should have fixed chips, especially by now.
     
  16. ManWithhat macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2008
    #16
    Wait . . it's coming sometime in September. There's a chance the new MBPs will be defective as well, but if you buy now - the GPU is guaranteed to be defective.
     
  17. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

    DDar

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    #17
    Well, guaranteed is a bit extreme wouldn't you say? Also, it seems that the MBPs that have been failing are the Rev A Penryn chip MBPs. Most of the newer ones haven't had that many problems, have they?
    At least, that's what it's been sounding like...
     
  18. kockgunner macrumors 68000

    kockgunner

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #18
    Didn't Montevina get delayed because of integrated GPU problems? There's no escape!
     
  19. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #19
    Chicken Little Hysteria

    I'm starting to think this MBP/Nvidia crisis is getting blown out of proportion. Even if its a problem Apple will have to fix it or replace the comp. At least at this point the machine has worked out the kinks and is a solid unit. If they do a complete overhual it will be back to the drawing board and all kinds of new problems will start appearing.

    I firmly believe you should never by the first run of a new electronic device...at least wait for the first revision. They always fix the glitches and smooth it out. I need a computer that can do the job and have decided to stop waiting for the greatest & latest...the wait never seems to end. I'll probably order my MBP early this week and go for the AppleCare.
     
  20. James17 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2007
    #20
    I'm being "guaranteed" by an Executive Relations Rep from Apple that it was only a certain batch that had all of these vertical stripes and broken cards and she went through the Engineering Team at Apple to get this information. She gave them my MBP's serial number and they said mine was one of them. They told her to tell me that my LCD needs replaced as the stripes issue is a screen issue and not a graphics card issue but I refused and even she said I shouldn't have to get the screen replaced as it is only 2 months old. She said the ones in the shops now won't have these problems as they will be newer batch numbers. I have the option for replacement or refund and she has to bargain with the retail store I got it from since it's separate from the Online Store.
     
  21. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    Location:
    Singapore
    #21
    If you need it soon and are wondering whether or not to wait, wonder no more: just take the plunge. Two reasons why. First, you don't actually know when the next revision will appear. It could be in September, it could be in January 2009. If you're not prepared to wait that long, don't. While it's true that the longer you wait the more "probable" a revision will appear, you'll be counting down your Tuesdays from one month to the next, and if it doesn't happen, what then? People here have been predicting July, August, and now September. The waiting game is endless (until it ends).

    Second, a genuine case revision would be a "rev A" and might be filled with teething problems. In effect you're trading one problem (possibly suspect GPUs) for another (unspecified teething problems). Will you wait for "rev B" then? Once again, the waiting game is endless.

    And what if there's neither a case nor GPU revision? You'll have waited for nothing then. So to maximise your utility, just buy now. You can always sell it and buy the new revision if you just absolutely have to have it.
     
  22. Muncher macrumors 65816

    Muncher

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #22
    Aaaaaggghhh! :p:D
     
  23. Fabiano macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    Location:
    Palmas, Brazil
    #23
    I think there is too much concern around all this. If you can wait, then wait for the next update and you will get more performance for the same money. But I see no reason to be too much worried about this nvidia issue. Like you, I live in a Country where Apple Stores cant be found so easily (Brazil). Also i have a MBP, but know what? Im not stressed about this at all. Im sure that, if multiple failures of MBP GPUs really happen some time in the future, Apple will do something about that. At the best they will replace some Old MBP with some new revised ones. :)
    But Im preparing myself for the worst scenario and I will get Applecare for safety reasons :D
     
  24. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

    Insulin Junkie

    Joined:
    May 5, 2008
    Location:
    Mainland Europe
    #24
    God I know.
     
  25. Me1000 macrumors 68000

    Me1000

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2006
    #25
    Just buy it... There is always a chance of Apple updating the MBP soon. I almost held off for the Montevina MBP, but when the time came I couldnt wait any longer. Truthfully Im glad I didnt wait. I havent had any troubles at all with it.

    If you need the computer now, then buy it. If you dont then wait a little longer. If you notice that your MBP starts behaving strangely especially in the area of graphics then buy AppleCare on it. That will be your insurance for your graphics card, because if it fails after 3 years of owning it then there was no defect in that card. If it does then you will likely get a brand new MBP.

    The problem is not as widespread as one is lead to believe from this thread.
     

Share This Page