Our Apps are ours or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by I WAS the one, Jun 25, 2012.

1. I WAS the one macrumors 6502a

I WAS the one

I've been very happy with my Apps and the way everything is connected for your protection now days with the App Store and and Mac App Store and all but yesterday I realized we are in a Eye Candy Prison. Here's what happen, my uncle needed help on fix two pictures, I told him I got an app to help him with because I know he wont buy an app for just two pictures. When I get there to my surprise he doesn't have internet. One of the few people in this world without internet! (basic cabletv with No Setupbox also as a bonus)

Ok, back in the days I just bring a USB thumbdrive with my paid app and install it on other computer, use it delete it and go.

This time, HOW AM I GOING TO BRING AN APP THAT THE ONLY WAY TO INSTALL IT IS THRU THEIR APP STOREMIF I DONT HAVE INTERNET?

I ended up asking him to go to any Walgreens and send the pictures from there so I can work them out and so on....

Can any one answer me this question:
    How can you convert an app into a standalone app? Just for emergency use?

Thanx

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You probably don't have the legal right to do that with the software in the first place, so there's no way to do it in the App Store.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most of the App Store apps are just standalone apps that can be dragged and dropped from the Applications folder onto a removeable device for transfer.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rather than try to move or copy the apps onto your uncle's computer, why not simply copy the photos to your computer, do whatever you need to do with the pics, then transfer them back?

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I guess he didn't think of that yet...

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I believe as with most software, you certainly don't own the apps, you just own the license to use it.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah, read the EULA (sez me, the lawyer).

These days most licenses allow use on a desktop and laptop for one user, if not used simultaneously. Installing your "second" copy on someone else's computer, if you're using it, is probably close to the spirit of that. At least you're thinking about it. Too many people would just pirate in that situation.

Apple's scheme is all tied up in the App Store. This is a good reason to buy software elsewhere. Acorn, eg, is available BOTH from the developer and the MAS.

Rob