Our iPhone 4s is better...AT&T says?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kram1975, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Kram1975 macrumors member

I have AT&T but admittedly know very little about cell phone technology, that being said is this article correct when it suggests that download speeds in the US will be twice as fast with the iPhone 4S under AT&T vs. Sprint and Verizon using the same phone?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/10/our-iphone-4s-is-better-than-rest-att-claims/

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Just keep in mind that "fastest" != "most reliable". There is a difference. Happy hunting.

4. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

My personal experience...

In my area, AT&T 3G is faster than Verizon's. I had a AT&T iPhone 4 and a Verizon iPad 2, and under speed tests, the iPhone would win. It was surprising actually

5. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

It's faster but AT&T's coverage sucks. In cities the coverage is fine, but in my area, if you leave the city you just get 2g. While, Verizon and Sprint have much better 3G coverage than AT&T.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

In areas with good coverage ATT should be faster. But there are a million variables.

Go with the carrier that has the best coverage around you. Or the one that treats you like a person.

7. ZBoater, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011

ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It does appear AT&T has a strategic advantage over Verizon and Sprint when it comes to the iPhone 4S. Whether it becomes real or not will depend on the actual user experiences after Friday....

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

We will know soon enough. My Galaxy S2 was WAY faster on the AT&T network with H+ compared to any other phone I have used on their network. It the AT&T 4S is that fast, I will be very happy.:)

As far as Verizon, they are not even a consideration. I like to be able to look at files in Drop Box while I am talking to one of my customers and that will never happen with Verizon.:p

9. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

From a technical perspective, AT&T is correct.

Now one has to factor in location and service availability where you'll be using the phone of course. ;)

11. Kram1975, Oct 10, 2011

Kram1975 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. Learning a lot. I live in Austin TX and there are AT&T cell towers actually attached to the building I live in as of 1 yr ago. What amazes me is I still drop calls on my 3Gs. When I'm in someones car I can't even attempt a call because it will drop within minutes. I've always suspected that this is a flaw with my particular phone not with all 3GS iPhones bc others I've talked to said they don't have as bad an experience as me. I've always guessed that my phone has an issue with the hand off from one cell tower to the next and that is why I'm 10x more likely to drop a call while in somoenes car. But that's only speculation.

Either way I'm giving AT&T and Apple another shot because I do love the operating system and features and ease of use.

Any additional thoughts to educate me are appreciated.

12. HopHead927 macrumors member

LTE does this...

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have an att iPhone and iPad. I love att. But that being said I drive from Boston to fl every year and the service along the way for att is terrible. I considered buying a Verizon iPad because of it but I knew att is 4x faster in Boston. So I couldn't justify taking the speed hit for that 1 week a year. However if att isn't great in your area or you travel within the us a lot then Verizon or sprint would be a better choice.

14. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

But the iPhone 4s is not an LTE phone.

15. chuffman15 macrumors regular

every carrier will take the same stance that their iPhone 4s is the best. I'm jumping ship from tmobile to sprint. the way i see it (my personal opinion) att can have the fastest 4s, it'll be that much faster their customers get to their data limit. ill take my unlimited data any day.

16. Kram1975 thread starter macrumors member

17. deeddawg, Oct 10, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

Back to the point -- in some areas, AT&T will likely provide better service. In other areas, Verizon or Sprint may provide better service. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

A smart buyer would do well to look carefully at coverage maps of the areas they'll use their phone in and choose the carrier that best fits their needs, recognizing the tradeoffs involved.

Each carrier is going to tout their strengths.

18. lnferno macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting that. While that is a helpful map, I'm not sure if it's fair to categorize the fastest speeds by state. It really should be by city IMHO.

19. MacDawg, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are missing a post, this thread experienced a little clean up
    This thread is about the OP's question concerning data speeds, not Fox news
    If you want to comment on Fox news, it needs to be done in the PRSI Forum

Thanks!

20. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I actually have to agree with AT&T on this one, even though I hate those greedy thieves! Their 3G speeds in California are giving me an average of 2-4Mbps on my 3GS, which is good enough for me. I would obviously like a faster speed, but I can't imagine anything slower. Considering Sprint's max is at 2Mbps according to its iPhone website, I might not be as eager to switch to Sprint, until an iPhone is compatible with whatever their version of faster data speed network is...

21. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

This is nothing new, the iPhone 4 already performs much faster on AT&T than Verizon (all things being equal, e.g. good coverage area for both carriers). The difference is greater with the 4S though, because on AT&T the 4S is "capable" (depending on tower config and backhaul pipe size) of double the speed of the 4 on AT&T - whereas on Verizon, the 4S and the 4 will behave exactly the same.

22. Kram1975 thread starter macrumors member

Perfect, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. So I live in the heart of downtown Austin TX and 1 year ago AT&T started paying my condo HOA 150k a year to strap cell towers to my buildings parking garage. So I'm figuring I'll have some pretty amazing speed in and near my building. Should be a big change coming off my 3Gs.

23. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Not only should ATT be faster, but you can talk and surf. A big deal for some people.

I like Verizon a lot, but talk and surf has kept me with ATT. Also I don't want to loose my data plan by switching.

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Unlimited data>>>>at&t's potentially faster speeds. The best unlimited plan wins.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

It's funny how the past can affect future mentality. AT&T has gotten a bad rap probably deservingly so. However AT&T has been very active in enhancing their network presently. With that being said iPhone on AT&T for the most part will provide better data speeds than the competitors with iPhones on their network because of AT&T network. Doesn't mean that VZW and Sprint are coming up short it can't be helped because of their network.

Until an LTE iPhone comes to play AT&T network for iPhone will be better at data.