Our Lady of the Underpass


emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
To me it looks more like Jack's girlfriend in The Nightmare Before Christmas.
 
A disproportionately large segment of the American population is extremely stupid. We are witnessing a modern-day Rome before the fall; soft, both in body and mind, resting on laurels of generations past, spending more time on the vicarious experience of entertainment instead of creation and invention.

See China and India in the rearview mirror? They're closer than they appear...
 

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
14,162
19
Chicago, Illinois
jayscheuerle said:
A disproportionately large segment of the American population is extremely stupid. We are witnessing a modern-day Rome before the fall; soft, both in body and mind, resting on laurels of generations past, spending more time on the vicarious experience of entertainment instead of creation and invention.

See China and India in the rearview mirror? They're closer than they appear...
I agree with you entirely. Stupidity is the one thing that really angers me. I get angry a lot.
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
What are you guys talking about? that is *so* the virgin mary. and it's so obvious, I mean, where else would she appear? in a tortilla? in a cloud? in the smeary rainbows on a church window? um...

problem with the V.M. is that the shape is so generic... basically all it has to be is round. see here, i've made a virgin mary out of a rubberband and some pushpins. Oh, right, you guys can't see this. Well it's going on ebay anyway...
 
leekohler said:
I get angry a lot.
Ironically, that's a big problem in the States as well. We have an "anger management" issue where we go from cool to boiling instantaneously, where it's fine to cut people off while driving, give them the finger, key the car that parked in your space, shoot the kid that bullies you, etc.

Though I know this, I seem to anger easily myself. Especially after a few beers... :rolleyes:
 

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
14,162
19
Chicago, Illinois
jayscheuerle said:
Ironically, that's a big problem in the States as well. We have an "anger management" issue where we go from cool to boiling instantaneously, where it's fine to cut people off while driving, give them the finger, key the car that parked in your space, shoot the kid that bullies you, etc.

Though I know this, I seem to anger easily myself. Especially after a few beers... :rolleyes:
I was joking-mainly I ignore the stupid. :)
 
emw said:
Judging from your location note, I'd probably agree :p
I'm a transplant.

Idiocy is as rare as oxygen here. F-bombs fall like snowflakes in a blizzard from 10 year old's mouths, the ice-cream man comes at 9:30 on a school-night and kicking trash into the sewer grate counts as cleaning up.

On the other hand, my neighbor brought me a big plate of food within 15 minutes of pulling my moving van up...

love/hate...
 

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
This article has kept me laughing all day. It's like, above-the-fold top news on at least three news sites. I gotta find a way on to the Virgin Mary train, it looks like a serious moneymaker. Next Virgin Mary appearance in California's going to be mine - and I'm charging admission, darnit!

I mean, that a bunch of folks are 1) stupid enough to read a Virgin Mary in to a water stain (or grilled cheese sandwich), and 2) willing to erect an alter to it in the middle of a highway underpass really explains a lot to me about why our country has the leadership it does.
 

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
383
47
There are alot more convincing pictures of Mary out there. Google them. They are interesting.

But people, this one is obvious compared to some of the ones you can google. It is a water stain that left a mineral diposite.

I do not want to sound mean, but that is just crazy.
 

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
14,162
19
Chicago, Illinois
FoxyKaye said:
I mean, that a bunch of folks are 1) stupid enough to read a Virgin Mary in to a water stain (or grilled cheese sandwich), and 2) willing to erect an alter to it in the middle of a highway underpass really explains a lot to me about why our country has the leadership it does.
No kidding! I live here in Chicago and I'm embarrassed. I guess there are morons everywhere.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Looks like they are praying to piss stains. There's a lot of that sort of thing, plus, poopy stains littered around Vancouver at Granville and Hastings, when I went to visit there to do a TV report of the drug use in Vancouver Chinatown. I must've seen 10-20 Virgin Mary's while filming in the back alleys and such.
 

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
925
1
Michigan
The worst part is that the American media panders to these morons. Instead of just quoting these idiots the CNN article should have started like this:

There is a leak in the wall of a freeway underpass that has left a water stain. A large number of mentally deficient and/or psychologically disturbed people believe this is a sign of god. They have been so inspired by this watermark that instead of being productive they have decided to place trinkets and trash in front of the water stain and then proceed to stare at it - occasionally taking pictures.

There is speculation that once the leak is repaired and the water stain clears up that these mentally ill people will lose faith in god, plunging them into the evils of atheism, believing their god has forsaken them.
What the hell is wrong with the media in this country? How can these idiots be referred to as "a steady stream of the faithful and the curious" but, when the overwhelming majority of the scientific community says that global warming is now more than a theory, it is a reality the media treats it as mere speculation. I suppose if the Antarctic ice shelves melt into the shape of something vaguely religious it might get some attention. Although, it will probably just be used to support the idea that god likes global warming. :rolleyes:

I guess all we can hope for is that a few of these idiots will get hit by passing motorists. I'm sure many visiting this holy site are nominees for the Darwin Award.
 

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
14,162
19
Chicago, Illinois
feakbeak said:
I guess all we can hope for is that a few of these idiots will get hit by passing motorists. I'm sure many visiting this holy site are nominees for the Darwin Award.
Sorry to disappoint you, but the police are out there with squad cars and have part of the lane blocked off so no one gets hurt! THAT is really and truly scary! At least that's what the TV news is showing here.
 

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
772
1
In a Mauve Dream
I agree with you guys. Yes, our country is in serious trouble and our collective IQ is around 30.

On topic, I have seen similar ocurrences, especially growing up in Southern California. While I never agreed, or actually saw thge image most saw, some people were genuinely uplifted and touched. So, if at least one person is brought out from hopelessness at least for a few moments... who we are we to judge.

And to the guy who suggested to clean it off: not only will you probably be beaten to Death, but then then as your soul ascends to heaven, you realize... it's actually true! And the Virgin Mary is waiting for you with a not-so amused look. THEN you'll be screwed! :D
 

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
925
1
Michigan
leekohler said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but the police are out there with squad cars and have part of the lane blocked off so no one gets hurt! THAT is really and truly scary! At least that's what the TV news is showing here.
Hey, that's not fair! If someone is dumb enough to stand in a freeway lane staring at a mineral deposit stain they deserve to die.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
feakbeak said:
Hey, that's not fair! If someone is dumb enough to stand in a freeway lane staring at a mineral deposit stain they deserve to die.
:eek: Wow. That is why they are Catholics and you are not!
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
leekohler said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but the police are out there with squad cars and have part of the lane blocked off so no one gets hurt! THAT is really and truly scary! At least that's what the TV news is showing here.
Great. They're blocking off a lane on the Kennedy? During rush hour? So these morons can go pray to a water stain? Please.