Our Refurb Nightmare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Redsfan, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Redsfan macrumors regular

Those who have read my previous threads know that me Mr.Android lover gave in and allowed my 13 year old to buy her mbp retina, as she saved up some money from gifts and going in to high school next year, this will be a good investment. Screen quality is great, lots of cool features to learn, and all is good. We bought the university grad office from best buy for $80 so can't go wrong.

Having our old hp motherboard go, and needing an everyday pc for home and business use, we bit the bullet and bought the same Oct 2013 refurb and got it today. Was very eager to get going and transfer my old files to it, installed Yosemite, and was in the process of also installing Office as the purchase is good for 2 mac's/pc's which is great. So I got home today after my wife was great to get things up and running partially until I took a look at the screen and boot up only to be totally shocked!! Either this was not a retina screen (which we paid for) or it was a lemon of a unit as the screen quality was the poorest I have ever seen, and upon boot up a bunch of spam popped up, along with a diagnostics page. After 3 hours on the phone with apple all they did for us was send out a new refurb, and credit us for a bit of our troubles. After talking to the worst CSR staff I have every come across I was very shocked with the service aspect of this call, as one reason we agreed to go Apple was because of this.

After a few more calls we finally spoke to some sort of Supervisor who was appalled by what we went through and she agreed to knock off the $150 on the refurb which she will try to send asap. Tried to wiggle more out of them but with no luck. We bought the Magic Mouse which I am not sure I am going to keep at that price, but will play around with it next couple of days and see if worthwhile.

Not a good first experience with service, and for some reason I think this is more of a Canadian issue than the U.S. as I haven't heard of similar issues..

Wish us luck with #2!!

2. blooperz macrumors 6502

Sucks that you had to deal with the first person...but it sounds like the supervisor made things right and lived up to what I would expect from apple. I'm pretty sure any other company would have have just been like "tough luck were sending you a new one but only after you return the one you currently have XD"

Not really sure what you mean by "it may not be a retina." The difference between them is night and day so theres really no guesswork involved there.

I wouldn't waste time with the magic mouse...mine has been sitting in a drawer for over a year now because the ergonomics on it are terrible. I would still look into a good bluetooth mouse though, and logitech makes some nice ones. I've been using the logitech performance MX and it's been amazing, although it might be a bit on the large side if you have small hands.

3. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

measuring screen at full brightness vs. my daughters same mbp would shock you. Not sure if they shipped us a non retina, or if this screen had some serious issues but it was horribly dim. Will look at the logitech.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Can you click on  → About This Mac and post the screenshot? It will mention whether the Mac is retina or not over there.

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a backlighting issue. Even a Retina screen can have a defective backlighting system. The hallmark of a Retina screen is not its brightness, it is the pixel density. So just because it was "dim" doesn't mean it wasn't a Retina LCD (albeit a defective one for sure).

Also, did the machine have an optical drive or not? If not, then it was a Retina machine. And Apple didn't "accidentally" install a non-Retina LCD on a Retina MacBook. That's impossible. The connectors wouldn't even fit, never mind the difference in the display cover size between an rMBP and cMBP.

-- Nathan

6. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies guys, I boxed it up and sent back today so not sure of any of the details you mentioned. Reps on the phone said for sure it was defective and should have never been sent to us. No idea how the utilities check info was still active as well.

After more fighting on the phone last night and tonight, we finally have a resolution that is favourable. We wound up getting a 2014 Model for only $20 more than the October 13 refurb...let's see what we get and how the credit card charges come out, sigh...!

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Surely you noticed whether or not it had a DVD drive in it, though... :rolleyes:

-- Nathan

8. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular