Out of AppleCare+ replacements. Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anton-, May 26, 2014.

1. Anton- macrumors newbie

I'm currently rocking an iPhone 5s and have unfortunately had some bad luck. A few months ago I was using it without a case (didn't own one at the time, and didn't think I needed one). It fell out of my lap and cracked, so I went to the apple store and got a replacement for $80. Fast forward to a week ago. Coffee spilled on my lap and destroyed my iPhone, so I went to get another replacement for $80.

Now I'm concerned that something bad will happen again and since applecare only gives you two replacements (right?) and I will be stuck paying $280. Could I purchase AppleCare+ again to get two more, or am I stuck?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You can only purchase AppleCare+ once. Perhaps you should invest in a Lifeproof case.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You are out of ADH replacements. But AppleCare+ is still in force, until the end of the two years.

What that means is that if something happens that is either a defect or a failure of the device (and not because you dropped it or damaged it) then AC+ still covers it.

So, from that standpoint you are still covered. But should you damage it yourself again, then you are going to be out the full OoW replacement cost or the cost of the repair if your local Apple store is doing those.

4. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

so, i just had my second iPhone 5 ac+ replacement 2 days ago. both were hardware failure. if say, tomorrow, i drop my 2 day old phone down the stairs and the screen shatters, can i still get it replaced for 80 bucks, or will it cost 269?

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

how many times have you paid for the replacement? if that number is 2 or more, $269. if less, it should be either $49 or $79 (depending when the phone was originally purchased.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you have ADH still, it would be $80.

Look at it this way…

AC+ extends the one year warranty by another year. Essentially, you are covered free of cost for repair or replacement for the full two years if there is a defect or failure of the product. This applies even if you use both incidents of ADH.

Apple throws in the two incidents of ADH as a bonus. Any damage you cause that is not a result of a defect or failure lets you replace the phone twice at $80 a pop. But even if you use both ADH incidents you are still covered for defects or failures that are not a result of you causing damage. Beyond that, any damage you cause (that is not a result of defect or failure) is at the OoW charge.

Does that make sense?