Out of Disk Space but I'm not

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by ajiuo, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

So I was using Photoshop and i started getting messages from photoshop that my scratch disk is full. Then I started getting messages from my mac that my start up disk is almost full... But its not. According to Disk Utility, about this mac, finder, and get info... I have nearly 400GB of free space... Why is it giving my low disk space errors when I'm using less then 10% of my hard drive?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

3. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

my start up disk is a single 500GB SSD with only one partition. I have a second 3TB drive that i use for files and that is not even 30% full either.

the error tells me my startup disk is full. I've even tried omnisweep that says i have 400 gb free as well
    --- Post Merged, Sep 6, 2016 ---
    okay... this has something to do with photoshop... for some reason when I try to crop or do any processing on a photo my hard disk shows as being full all with other... I close photoshop and its back to normal/

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Could you use grandperspective and see how much space each folder/file uses?
    Since you are elcapitan there is no such "purgeable" space issue, the one I recently research when using Sierra.

5. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

okay.. so I've determined that its Somthing related to photo shop... My mac doesn't ever give me the error until I get the scratch disk thing on photoshop. So I tried switching photoshops scratch disk to my other drive... then when I try to crop an image the loading bar stops in the middle... if i check disk utility when this is going on it says my hard disk is full.. then if I quit photo shop it goes back to normal.

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

So Photoshop uses up 400GB of your free space when cropping images?